All reviews car park high street centre of town lovely hotel sat nav cocktail bar noisy at night secure parking third floor central location hotel restaurant night porter early hours brend hotel beef evening meal brend group
Reviewed 8 June 2017

Other than a little hard to find, this was an excellent choice. Great rooms, Staff was excellent, breakfast was amazing, location was downtown with walking access to the downtown area. Well run facility. parking onsite is available but tight.

Room tip: Limited views but that is not important with this Hotel
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 June 2017

Arrived Thursday 1st June, very pleased with our choice, until I saw the room they allocated for us, in older part hotel, very musty smell dragged suitcases up the stairs, to find the room very small and dark, coloured bathroom suite, very dated, and small window in room right above kitchen extractor fan, very noisey, so decided this wasn't for us and went back to reception, where they were understanding and gave us another room 208, which had been refurbished to good standard, only problem was right on the car park side where night time revellers used as through road and the noise went on until the early hours, on sat night it was 4am before I got any sleep at all, then to top it all the road sweeper was going around at 6am even on sunday. Breakfast was £10 per person extra which I had not realised when booking, my fault, and wether it was because we went down at 9.30 but found it to be luke warm and very rubbery eggs, so decided against eating there again, however the meal we had on our first night was very good. you expect some noise from a city hotel, but no as much as we had to put up with, coming from a very quiet rural location this was a shock. Very polite staff, but sorry would not stay again because of the noisy street.

Room tip: Ask if room is overlooking car park very noisy.
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Brend T, General Manager at Royal & Fortescue Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2017

Thankyou for taking the time to review our hotel. I am sorry to read that you were initially unhappy with your room, we do have an ongoing maintenance programme within the hotel in order to keep our rooms as updated as possible and i am sorry that on this occasion you were disappointed. I am pleased to read you were moved into another room which you felt was of a good standard. With regards to the noise issues within your room i can only apologise, we do have triple glazed windows in our external facing rooms to limit noise as we are a town centre hotel. I am sorry to read that you did not enjoy your breakfast with us and will pass these comments on. We strive to offer our guests the very best whilst staying with us and i am disappointed to read that on this occasion you did not feel this was the case. I am glad your evening meal was very good and you found the staff very polite. I hope this will not deter you from coming back to the hotel in the future and hope to welcome you again.

Reviewed 4 June 2017

We spent 4 nights here on a golfing trip to North Devon. The hotel proved to be an ideal location for our base. The rooms were perfect, the food (choice and quality) was fine and the staff, friendly and welcoming.

Date of stay: May 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
BrendHotels, General Manager at Royal & Fortescue Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2017

Thankyou for you recent review. I am pleased to read that you found the hotel to be in an ideal location and you were impressed with the choice and quality of food served. I am glad you found our staff friendly and welcoming and hope i can welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 1 June 2017

We came in last week with friends for lunch.
You were serving a carvery so we decided stay.
We are all pensioners, and I requested a smaller meal (children's meal) as due to health problem I cannot manage a big meal.
I was told by the bar manager in no uncertain terms, no, we go by age only.
So we all left.

Trip type: Travelled with friends
BrendHotels, General Manager at Royal & Fortescue Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2017

Thankyou for your review. I am sorry to read that you were not happy and chose not to dine with us. We do not offer a smaller meal option to adults having the carvery as you are able to help yourself to as much or little as you like. Our children's menu is only available to under 12's. Once again i apologise that you were disappointed and i hope to be able to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 26 May 2017 via mobile

Spent 2 nights at the Royal & Fortescue in April, booked an Executive room (booking.com), not entirely sure that we had that type of room? However the situation was resolved more than amicably by the hotel manager! Our room was very comfortable and clean. It was a little noisy on the Saturday evening from late night/early morning revellers (outside of the hotels control)! The breakfast on both days was excellent, particularly the Sunday as it was buffet style! All staff were knowledgeable and happy to assist in any way, particularly the night porter (Long story)! Would visit again.

Date of stay: April 2017