“Just ok”

Price range: US$7 - US$35
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Haven’t visited the Stagger Inn for many years but recently had a meal there with a group of friends. Staff were pleasant and the atmosphere is nice, if a little dimly lit. Food took forever to arrive - best part of an hour. Nobody even thought to come over to let us know there was a delay. Drinks service was hit and miss - a couple of ordered drinks never arrived at all and coffees took a very long time to materialize. Food was ok when it arrived. I ordered a flatbread - edible but nothing exciting and wouldn’t rush back. It was a bit wet/oily and the vegetables on the soggy side. Just expected a bit more for £11. Would have been better value if we were in time for the 2 for 1 menu. Had the creme brûlée for dessert which was actually very good. We enjoyed our evening but felt there were better places to eat locally.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Went Easter Sunday for the Sunday Roast special. Me & my daughter had garlic mushrooms hubby carrot & orange soup both very nice. Theirs came out 1st then the waitress asked if anything was to follow I said yes mine. I had to wait a while they must of missed mine because mine was minus onions & bacon like my daughter's but it was very nice with crusty bread & butter. I then had lamb hubby beef. Both very nice & plenty of my daughter had a pasta dish with garlic bread she said it was lovely but very filling. So she brought what was left home in a foil box. Very enjoyable will defintly return

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

On 24th March, I took my Mum for lunch to the Stagger Inn. We've been coming for several years and always find the 241 deals fantastic and the lovely Sunday lunches. Owing to me working away, we haven't been very often over the past year.
The wonderful 241 menu has been stripped right back, so there are very few deals left on the new menu. We used to like the lovely gammon and chips/eggs, pizzas were great, too. There used to be so much choice but now there is so little.
One of our favourites, however, was still on the menu - the 'flat iron' steak, with chips. Oddly, it said that instead of the usual fried tomato, mushrooms and onion rings, the steak now comes with corn on the cob and salad.........now, how many of us out there are old fashioned and like tomato and mushroom with their steak. Quite a lot, I imagine.
We ordered two flat iron steaks and I asked our waiter of we could have tomato instead of corn. Instantly he snapped back 'no, we don't have any tomato' (despite the table next to us having tomato in their salad). So, we asked for mushroom instead. He was about to say 'no' but could see that I was looking quite angry and said he'd see what he could do.
The restaurant was virtually empty, yet our food took over 40 minutes to arrive. We didn't want to make a fuss so sat waiting like typical English people!!! When it did, my Mum;s plate had on it three small mushrooms and some salad, plus the steak and chips. Mine had a small piece of corn on the cob and some salad. The corn was burned, the salad quite brown at the edges and very bitter. The steak on our plates was about half the size that it used to be and very dry.
As the waiter had seemed in such a mood, the best thing to do, we thought. was just to eat it and go.
We ordered two puddings which were ok-ish - you can't go wrong with ice cream really, but three very small scoops for nearly four pounds just plonked into a bowl was a bit on the steep side.
Now, as we got 241 on the steaks, we only paid £13.50 for the mains - but to be honest that was much more than they were worth. If anyone paid full price at £27 pounds they would have been completely unhappy.
Nearly 3 quid for a large coke and two quid for a small orange and lemonade didn't help, either.
It isn't often I get time to go for lunch with my Mum, but we left the Stagger Inn for the first ever time, feeling the place has really gone down hill. It will be a very long time before we return. There are many places that offer food of a better quality than this for cheaper and are much more welcoming. It was 1pm on Saturday and the place used to be packed out - hardly anyone was in. That must tell you something.

2  Thank WHTUR
Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

Had a birthday meal had a great meal the creamy garlic mushrooms where gorgeous as well as the carbonara would deffinatly go back there.

Reviewed 3 March 2018

Broccoli and Stilton soup was warming and delicious on a very cold day. The chicken curry was very good as was the flat iron steak. The portions are generous and we couldn’t finish the chips even though they were excellent!