“Beautiful meal at this restaurant ”
Review of Oscar’s

Oscar’s
Price range: US$8 - US$29
Cuisines: Wine Bar
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: The finest place to eat in Cumbria's Southern Peninsula Welcome to an easier, more pleasurable dining experience. At Oscar's you will enjoy the best food, the best drinks, the best service and, of course, the best surroundings in South Cumbria. ...from start to finish, whether you're here for drinks and nibbles or your most special celebration,we hope you enjoy everything Oscar's has to offer. All of our meat carries the Red Tractor Assurance, so you'll know it's guaranteed British. All of our fish are from suppliers registered with the Marine Stewardship Council, certified sustainable with full traceability direct to the vessel it was landed from. Oscar's prepares and serves food simply yet differently,with the finest local ingredients available. If you have any allergies or specific dietary requirements, please inform our dedicated team, we will do our utmost to accommodate. Our food is freshly prepared in a kitchen that uses nuts and seafood. Thank you for dining at Oscar's
Reviewed 16 October 2017 via mobile

Nice drinks too and lovely atmosphere. Fish and chips were amazing would advise booking in advance of your stay to ensure u get in. Looking forward to visiting again in a few weeks

AbbeyHouseHotel, General Manager at Oscar’s, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear Paulstacey7,
Thanks very much for your Oscar's feedback, we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 10 October 2017

Great place, good value and delicious food in lovely setting. Quite busy but staff were friendly and efficient.

Dear CherryAnne21,
Thanks for your lovely feedback, I hope to be able to welcome you back again.
Warm Regards,

Reviewed 9 October 2017

We were married at this venue a year ago and we couldn't fault anything at all, so it made perfect sense to us to have our anniversary dinner here. It was very disappointing indeed.

First, we were seated at a table that had been shoe-horned in as an afterthought at the entrance to the room. Next, the menu is a bizarre collection of mostly whacky sounding dishes like "STUFFED SADDLE OF RABBIT", "JIM BEAM SMOKED RIBS" and "BEER BATTERED HADDOCK". One of the "specials" was "Beef Duo", one of the main constituents of which was not beef.

I'm quite an adventurous diner but I didn't like the sound of most of it, so I plumped for the "21 DAY AGED SHORT RIB, PULLED FEATHERBLADE, ALE & MUSHROOM PIE" and my wife chose one of the specials, essentially a chicken pie. The content of the "featherblade" pie was okay but the pastry was like concrete, as was that of the chicken pie, the filling of which was bland and flavourless and was served with beef gravy.

The service from the waiter was good, but my wife's polite complaint about her food to the manageress when she asked if we'd enjoyed our meal was met with indifference. We expected perhaps a complimentary cocktail and some words of comfort but nothing at all was offered.

When it came to paying using my bank card, there was a default service charge of 5% which you could change to a higher value but not remove. Since I'd tipped the waiter in cash, I told the manageress that I wanted the service charge removed, which made her even more frosty with us.

The upshot of all this is that we won't be back to dine here ever again, and the memory of our perfect day a year ago has now become slightly tainted as a result.

Dear wilbyforce.
I was sorry to read that you didn't 'get' our award winning menu at Oscar's. I have never utilised a mandatory service charge in the hotel and would welcome your feedback directly to john@abbeyhousehotel.com.

Reviewed 7 October 2017

Spent two days using this restaurant for a meeting with a colleague. The food was very nice and the service was excellent. The staff here bend over backwards to welcome you.

Dear KazB79,
Thanks so much for your review! Oscar's is the ideal office away from home, superfast wifi with excellent coffee and food! We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 6 October 2017 via mobile

The restaurant is furnished lovely, good selection of wines and drink.
I ordered the jim bean ribs which were delicious, very tasty which a huge portion of sweet potato- worth the £15!
Gin and tonic cheesecake was presented nicely and tasted lovely, this was £6.
Would recommend.

Dear Huffy010512,
The best ribs outside the USA or so I've been told, we love them too! I was so glad to read that you found Oscars to be good value and would recommend us!
Thanks again, we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Warm Regards,