“Tainted our memory after a perfect wedding”
Review of Oscar’s

Oscar’s
Price range: US$8 - US$29
Cuisines: Wine Bar
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The finest place to eat in Cumbria's Southern Peninsula Welcome to an easier, more pleasurable dining experience. At Oscar's you will enjoy the best food, the best drinks, the best service and, of course, the best surroundings in South Cumbria. ...from start to finish, whether you're here for drinks and nibbles or your most special celebration,we hope you enjoy everything Oscar's has to offer. All of our meat carries the Red Tractor Assurance, so you'll know it's guaranteed British. All of our fish are from suppliers registered with the Marine Stewardship Council, certified sustainable with full traceability direct to the vessel it was landed from. Oscar's prepares and serves food simply yet differently,with the finest local ingredients available. If you have any allergies or specific dietary requirements, please inform our dedicated team, we will do our utmost to accommodate. Our food is freshly prepared in a kitchen that uses nuts and seafood. Thank you for dining at Oscar's
Reviewed 9 October 2017

We were married at this venue a year ago and we couldn't fault anything at all, so it made perfect sense to us to have our anniversary dinner here. It was very disappointing indeed.

First, we were seated at a table that had been shoe-horned in as an afterthought at the entrance to the room. Next, the menu is a bizarre collection of mostly whacky sounding dishes like "STUFFED SADDLE OF RABBIT", "JIM BEAM SMOKED RIBS" and "BEER BATTERED HADDOCK". One of the "specials" was "Beef Duo", one of the main constituents of which was not beef.

I'm quite an adventurous diner but I didn't like the sound of most of it, so I plumped for the "21 DAY AGED SHORT RIB, PULLED FEATHERBLADE, ALE & MUSHROOM PIE" and my wife chose one of the specials, essentially a chicken pie. The content of the "featherblade" pie was okay but the pastry was like concrete, as was that of the chicken pie, the filling of which was bland and flavourless and was served with beef gravy.

The service from the waiter was good, but my wife's polite complaint about her food to the manageress when she asked if we'd enjoyed our meal was met with indifference. We expected perhaps a complimentary cocktail and some words of comfort but nothing at all was offered.

When it came to paying using my bank card, there was a default service charge of 5% which you could change to a higher value but not remove. Since I'd tipped the waiter in cash, I told the manageress that I wanted the service charge removed, which made her even more frosty with us.

The upshot of all this is that we won't be back to dine here ever again, and the memory of our perfect day a year ago has now become slightly tainted as a result.

AbbeyHouseHotel, General Manager at Oscar’s, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2017

Dear wilbyforce.
I was sorry to read that you didn't 'get' our award winning menu at Oscar's. I have never utilised a mandatory service charge in the hotel and would welcome your feedback directly to john@abbeyhousehotel.com.

Reviewed 7 October 2017

Spent two days using this restaurant for a meeting with a colleague. The food was very nice and the service was excellent. The staff here bend over backwards to welcome you.

AbbeyHouseHotel, General Manager at Oscar’s, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2017

Dear KazB79,
Thanks so much for your review! Oscar's is the ideal office away from home, superfast wifi with excellent coffee and food! We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 6 October 2017 via mobile

The restaurant is furnished lovely, good selection of wines and drink.
I ordered the jim bean ribs which were delicious, very tasty which a huge portion of sweet potato- worth the £15!
Gin and tonic cheesecake was presented nicely and tasted lovely, this was £6.
Would recommend.

Dear Huffy010512,
The best ribs outside the USA or so I've been told, we love them too! I was so glad to read that you found Oscars to be good value and would recommend us!
Thanks again, we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Warm Regards,

Reviewed 3 October 2017

Can't praise this place enough, we were greeted by amazing staff with a free glass of prosecco, the food we ordered was first class and the service was brilliant, we will definitely be back

AbbeyHouseHotel, General Manager at Oscar’s, responded to this reviewResponded 6 October 2017

Dear anthonybI6415JM,
Thanks for your lovely feedback, I was very pleased to read that everything was first class for you and look forward to seeing you again in the near future!
Warm Regards,

Reviewed 29 September 2017

A booking for 11 friends to celebrate an 80th birthday. Meals had been pre ordered by request. Although a meal was ordered as Gluten free, and the menu states that most dishes could be served gluten free, it was served with pasta. The waitress took it away after we queried it and returned with the meal without the pasta. On being asked what they had replaced the pasta with, were told they had added some salad leaves. The matter was brought to the attention of management and they reduced the bill by £1.75.
There was a total lack of concern, and unless we had queried the pasta, it could well have been eaten as GF pasta, as that was what was pre-ordered. Other meals were not warm enough, and one burger was burnt. All in all a disappointment. I would not recommend the restaurant for lunch.

Dear Mary T,
I was sorry to read your recent review and would welcome your comments directly to john@abbeyhousehotel.com