“Messed about!”

Bodega Tapas Bar
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Tried to book Monday afternoon for the following evening and told they don’t spoon bookings and just to turn up it won’t be a problem.
The following evening when we turned up for dinner there was a sign on outside menu stating the restaurant part closed for 2 days due to staff shortage.
We decided try again on our last night on the Thursday but wanted to eat earlier around 6. We turned up at 5 and asked for a table at 6 o'clock and was willing to wait downstairs in the bar for a drink and were told fine and to come back in an hour.
When we turned up at 6 for the meal we were then advised they were now full and couldn’t accommodate us!
Very frustrating to be so messed about and the Staff not overly friendly either. We then had to find somewhere else to eat. We were returning customers but certainly won’t bother again!

Date of visit: September 2021
Write a reviewReviews (1,862)

Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

Visited on Sunday evening and was spoken at by possibly the most rude male member I’d staff I have ever come across.
The manageress apologised for him but unbelievable that someone working in the service industry should behave that way.

1  Thank nigelwV2035IV
Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

Dreadful experience. Ordered tapas at what look to be a quite a cool looking tapas bar with an attractive menu in a good location to people watch.

However, when the food arrived rather late 3 of the 6 dishes were flat cold. And I don’t mean cool or room temperature I mean cold! The plates were cold like they’ve just come out of a fridge!

The food was that cold I genuinely had to ask if it was meant to be cold as it wasn’t even luke warm.

I was then asked “what do you want us to do?” To which I replied I’d like it to be warm if it’s meant to be warm…. 5 minutes later food came out piping hot with steam coming from it and the sauces had like a layer on top as you’d expect from food that had just been absolutely blitzed in a microwave. This then just ruined the whole experience.. the calamari which was only luke warm had batter that wasn’t crispy again suspect to me that this had been reheated! And the thought of reheated squid is dreadful! The potato’s bratas were quite soggy not crispy again suspect to been reheated!

We didn’t eat anymore of the food and when my partner went to say we weren’t happy to pay for the meals that had to be replaced she was abruptly told okay don’t pay and they gave us the money back for 2 plates.

I wouldn’t recommend anyone to eat here as our experience was really poor and it isn’t exactly cheap it came to over £40 for a few microwaved dishes!

Reviewed 18 September 2021

Eat as much or as little as you want. Spend the evening just eating and drinking nothing is rushed, friendly waitresses and the food is lovely. Typical Spanish evening. Great atmosphere.

Reviewed 12 September 2021 via mobile

I tried to book a table for midweek dinner, late season, for myself, my wife and son, after singing the praises of Bodega Bar to my family.

I dined here once per week with friends and/or colleagues for two years when working in the lakes a number of years ago and I loved both the food and ambience. The restaurant firstly didn’t return my telephone message, then told me they were closed after I sent a follow-up email (in the process getting the day of the week wrong from my booking request) then advised they don’t take bookings at all after I pointed out their error regarding the date?

The only conclusion I can draw from the above, other than vetting potential customers using email or telephone messages, is that they don’t want families to dine there - this is such a shame as the restaurant used to be great - but a lot of recent reviews also give negative appraisals of the restaurant, so clearly the establishment has declined significantly since the last time I dined there.

All in all, they have a very odd way of treating potential customers, given the carnage that the hospitality industry has experienced in the last two years.