All reviews self drive coach trip gb tours large hotel waiting staff bus stop breakfast and evening meal meal times kippers bath shower very pleasant stay twin room cooked breakfast great weekend weekend break north devon sunday lunch
Reviewed 31 December 2015

Myself and husband were booked in for a 2 night stay here on the 27th & 28th December. We have relatives in Appledore and visit frequently and have stayed at a number of hotels and holiday parks in the area over the years.

Rooms were average, ours was a standard room with a double bed and additional single. The double bed was not particularly comfortable, I don't think the mattress was of great quality. Also there were hairs on the floor in the bathroom which would indicate cleaning standards could have been better.

The real issue though, was the truly awful smell in the room. We don't make a habit of complaining but immediately reported this to reception as we felt we could not put up with it for the length of our stay. Their solution to the problem? A can of air freshener. Thankfully we did not have to spend much time in the room but for the time we were in there I would have to say this really spoilt our stay and we will not be returning. We made reception and housekeeping aware of this so hopefully they will sort this out and other guests will not have to put up with it in the future.

It's a pretty hotel with character. Breakfast was ok and the staff were always friendly and welcoming.

3  Thank foxyz3
Reviewed 29 December 2015 via mobile

Visit with oap group.
After reading a previous review abouy disabled access I rang the hotel & advised that there would be 4 people with disability included 1 motorised wheelchair. They advised that they did indeed have disabled access & that the 2 disabled rooms where in the 1st floor, but near a lift. They advised the wife of the wheelchair user the same!
In arrival it became obvious that I had in fact be "mis-informed". 3 steps upto the front desk - there was a ramp but it was rediculously steep ... I had to push my mum from behind. We were lucky to have 1 of the 2 disabled rooms. There was a lift, but woefully slow & small. My mum waited 1/2 an hour for the lift. If someone on the 2bd floor called lift & on the 1st it wouls completely miss stopping on the 1st. Very small - 1 wheelchair at a time or someone with a walker & 2 others.
To get to dinning you had 2 options. 1) Struggle to get down 1st 3 steps then 7 - 8, or 2)Go out of the hotel, around the back of the hotel & in a back door. The wheelchair user had no choice but to opt for the 2nd. If he wanted to use thw disabled loo he could get in but the door wouldn't shut so a member of staff had to "stand guard". There are 4 steps down to the ladies loo. I have attached photos of all the various steps.
STAFF - I cannot fault the staff. They were very polite & couldn't do enough for us, including helping my 82 year old mum get down steps. She uses a wheeled walker & the weather was awful so going outside did not appeal.
FOOD - the food was very nice. It was served promtly & piping hot.
ROOM - our room was 1 of the 2 disabled rooms. Again I cannot fault the room. It was slotlessly clean on arrival & & this was kept up daily during our stay. Even though we were just round the corner it was very quiet. So quiet in fact that my mum didn't sleep well the 1st night ... reason - TOO quiet.
ENTERTAIMENT - excellant!
IN SUMMARY - lovely stay marred by the issues with disabled access. It even made my mum say that she won't be going on anymore holidays. I have since pursuaded her otherwise.

Date of stay: November 2015
Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank 441debbieh
Reviewed 29 December 2015

The Hotel and Staff gave us a wonderful Christmas. The food was absolutely first class, always well presented and hot. The Waiters were so polite and always smiling, and attended to any requests promptly.
Every where was kept clean, especially our room, which was spacious, with a very comfortable bed and even a settee to relax on.
The entertainment during the day and the evening was excellent.
Look forward to another Christmas there.

Room tip: Second floor is nice and quiet.
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank David R
Reviewed 18 December 2015

Very disappointing Evening ,Family of five for the Festive feast ,restaurant was almost empty so no atmosphere ,Staff were polite but very brisk and rushed us , taking drinks order before we had even sat down !Meat was tough and just turkey roll not real meat , veg was under cooked and almost cold ,Veg option veg Wellington but was relay a celery pie covered in what seemed to be tomato soup so was uneaten .
Coffee and mince pies were the best part of this meal .
very disappointing pay cheap get rubbish comes to mind !

5  Thank sandra w
Reviewed 17 December 2015

here again this time we stopped over looking the courtyard .At night you could here a water pump kicking in (just like a bigle pump) not good also we had this when we stopped on the floor below .We are getting a list off not so good rooms and when ready will let loose..
rooms are looking in need of refurb.
staff excellent