“Excellent meal and evening out with family and friends ”
Review of Coombe Cellars

Coombe Cellars
Ranked #63 of 132 Restaurants in Newton Abbot
Price range: US$13 - US$33
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Coombe Cellars is a quirky yet stylish establishment that is perfect for escaping the demand that often comes hand in hand with everyday life. With a wide choice of starters, light bites, mains, and sharing platters, as well as an extensive drinks menu, you’ll be able to choose from a wide range of freshly prepared dishes that are sure to satisfy even the toughest food critics. This relaxed pub, bar, and restaurant also has a great outdoor space that’s perfect for a spot of al fresco dining during the summer months - enjoy stunning views of the estuary as you kick back, relax and unwind in truly special surroundings. There is plenty of car parking available, and we are also child friendly, so please feel free to bring your little ones along too. In addition to our magnificent interiors, we also offer a fabulous outdoor dining space that’s perfect for alfresco dining all year round.
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

We had seen really mixed reviews for the Coombe Cellars so were unsure what to expect. Booked online no problem and had a lovely window table. Service was very attentive but not intrusive. Good knowledge on the dishes (how spicy etc.) we all eat well and 8 clear dishes for starters and mains tells it’s own story. The real ale wasn’t as good as I have had elsewhere but not bad enough to lose a star. There is a good selection of lagers as well so no problem with choices.

General Manager A, Manager at Coombe Cellars, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2018

Thank you for such a lovely review. I'm glad you all enjoyed your visit

Write a ReviewReviews (1,620)

Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

We visited with friends, and enjoyed immensely the sharing Camembert, but had to ask for extra bread, as no where near enough dipping items for the amount of cheese.
Then for mains, mine was perfect, duck in plum, but my wife’s fish and chips were very disappointing. I do believe the fish had been battered and frozen, then reheated. As the batter was very soggy. Frozen Ready meals are not what a good quality establishment should be using!
Shame, it was the food we were there for!
Location superb, view lovely, catering needs improvement and a bit more thought before things are let out of the kitchen

Thank you for the review.

I'm sorry you feel that way regarding your fish and chips. Our cod is delivered fresh every day and battered to order. We will take your feedback on board and ensure it is crisper.

Kind Regards

Aimee Dagnall

Reviewed 4 April 2018

we booked this restaurant on the 26th March 2018 for a family birthday the staffs attitude on our arrival was nothing for the company to be proud of! The food was poor by quality and quantity, for the prices they were charging, and trying to sort the bill out at the end was just amazing15 to 20 mins. The salad that came with the Sticky Chicken meal looked like it should have been for recycling and the Chicken was as I was told dry, when mentioned we were told that's how it comes! There were13 in our party, my meal was served early on and my family said start as not to let it get cold, that was lucky because I had all but finished mine before the last meal was served, I had 4 small meatballs on a mess of veg, with 4 rolls of bread. I was asked to complain directly by the Family this I did, but they didn't seem very interested , as you might have guessed we won't be troubling this establishment again, and I wouldn't recommend it to some one I didn't like

Thank you for the review. As you have already mentioned this has been dealt with via email, however you were not happy with the response.

We don't serve a meatball and vegetables dish so I'm not sure where you had that but it wasn't in our establishment.

Again as mentioned we did apolaguise on the night, via email and you were given a complimentary bottle of prosecco. You were also advised that the server doing your bill was new and having 13 guests pay individually can take time.

Again we are sorry you didn't your visit.

Kind Regards

Coombe Cellars

Reviewed 2 April 2018

Impromptu family birthday get together on a Monday evening, last minute booking for 13. Sadly the food was really disappointing for pretty much all of us although a couple did say theirs was OK. Staff (1) struggled to get food out on time resulting in guests who had first service pretty much finishing before last people were served. Food was at best average, I had sticky chicken, which basically was an overcooked chicken breast swimming in what appeared to be bottled sweet chilli sauce accompanied by totally wilted salad. When plates were collected I politely said that the salad had "gone over" and was told that would be fed back no apology! Paying the bill was comical, all dishes etc confused and didn't add up. Family member has fed back directly which was apparently helpful!

Such a shame as the location as a destination dining option could be amazing.

General Manager A, Manager at Coombe Cellars, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2018

Thank you for your feedback.
I'm sorry you didnt enjoy your visit. We have had feedback from a different member of your party. Unfortunately it was a new member of team that dealt with your bill, we can only apolaguise and the additional training has now been given.

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

We had a fab meal with friends. The staff were really attentive and the food was wonderful. We were not rushed and the views were stunning. Thankyou

General Manager A, Manager at Coombe Cellars, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2018

Thank you for the lovely review I'm glad you enjoyed your visit