“Good Sunday lunch after a brisk walk...”
Review of The Speech House

The Speech House
Ranked #7 of 37 Restaurants in Coleford
Price range: US$5 - US$25
Cuisines: British
Description: We are delighted to offer the Orangery and Garden for informal dining and our Verderers Court & Carolean restaurants for formal dining. We cater for all diets and special needs on request. We also offer a wide selection of Vegetarian dishes and children's meals. From 3pm -6pm we offer the full Speech House Afternoon Tea served with silver tea pots and bone china, as well as our re-known cream teas.
Reviewed 11 November 2018

Came here for Sunday lunch with my two chums. We arrived a bit late and on spec.. Our waitress quickly checked what was on offer and made us feel welcome. We liked the slightly old-fashioned ambience of the Orangery - busy with dignified diners - and chose pork and trout, which arrived, good and hot, promptly. The pork came with cauliflower cheese and a dish of mixed veg. (carrots, sugar-snap peas, leeks and sweet potato mash). The trout came on a bed of salsify, potatoes and cockles in a cream sauce. The servings were modest and not quite big enough to satisfy our appetites which had been stoked by a two hour walk round the nearby sculpture trail, but our request for extra veg and more of the luscious gravy was politely and promptly complied with. My trout was nicely cooked, the cockles sweet and tender and the cream sauce was smooth, rich and well seasoned. I have to admit to plundering the veg. dishes even though they were meant for my chums eating the pork - the sweet potato mash was irresistible. Under-seasoned, mashed sweet pot.s are the epitome of boring, but ours was perfectly mashed and exactly seasoned so it was just right. The chums reported that the pork was very nice meat and I could hear from the cheerful crunching sounds that the crackling was good, too!
We happily finished every morsel, leaving no room for a pud. but we did manage to clear a cheese board between us. The 4 cheeses were properly presented, with crackers grapes and celery, good chutney and butter and, most important, with the cheese at just the right temperature. My cheese-loving chum was particularly struck by what turned out to be Celtic Promise - thanks to our waitress for finding out.
We all agreed that the whole experience was very good, with excellent service, great food, attention to detail and a pleasant atmosphere. We’d paid almost exactly the same price the week before for a very similar meal back in Bristol (no names, no pack drill… but we did leave a less complimentary review than this one!) but on this occasion, we felt we’d had good VFM. We will definitely come again, for another meal, especially as the surrounding countryside is so inviting, for folks who like a good walk before a meal, to work up an appetite. We all felt we’d somehow experienced a bit of old fashioned quality and values and we mean that as a compliment!

Date of visit: November 2018
peterhands, Owner at The Speech House, responded to this reviewResponded 5 weeks ago

Dear Simonin BS7,
Many thanks for taking tome to leave such a detailed and very positive revue.
I am delighted to read that you and your chums enjoyed your Sunday lunch in the Orangery and that my team made you feel welcome and looked after you well throughout.
It is always good for my young team to know when they have made our customers happy and I have passed on your comments to all concerned.
Thank you for the critique on your meals, my Head Chef was pleased to get feedback and is very glad you enjoyed your meal and the "Celtic Promise" Cheese.
We are a traditional family owned hotel and we try to ensure service and standards are commensurate with the history and ambience of our building. I am also pleased to read that you all felt you had good value for money.
Thank you once again for your very kind and detailed feedback.
We all look forward to you returning to see us when you are next exploring the area.

Reviewed 30 October 2018

Made our first trip to Speech House 3 Sundays ago. Had the most unexpectedly amazing dining experience in The Orangery. The food was outstanding and beautifully presented. (Roast Beef. And Goats Cheese Risotto (with Hake, I think)). The staff were extremely amiable and professional. We loved it so much, we made the 2 hour drive again last Sunday. What a disappointment. The Roast Beef plate was sent back as the yorkshire pudding was a sad looking thing, the beef was cold, and the mash was over salty. The whole plate looked like it had been thrown together. (Nothing like the previous visit) The Tagliatelle was tremendous though and presented well. The staff were on a different level too. Definitely not as professional, and all seemed either harassed or disinterested. Such a pity as it puts us off coming back.
(Pics are of our delicious meals on our first visit)

Date of visit: October 2018
1  Thank anon566
peterhands, Owner at The Speech House, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2018

Dear Anon566,
Thank you for your feedback on your recent visit to us.
I am dismayed to learn that you had a poor experience and I will investigate your comments with my Operations Manager to see why we slipped below our usual high standards of which you make reference to at the start of your review.
I can only apologise and assure you that we take all feedback seriously and use it to maintain and improve our service.
I hope that you will give us another try and we all look forward to welcoming you back to restore your faith in us.
Director/Proprietor.

Reviewed 21 October 2018

I normally always go on a week day for coffee and teacake or for lunch and have been a regular visitor for over ten years and can never fault the speech house. But this time was a Sunday morning and weather the owner was away or some of the regular staff had phoned in sick or weather they were new, the young waiters seemed a bit blasé about their duties. Tables were left dirty for like 10 mins or so, it took three attempts to order our food at the bar, normally they come and take your order at the table. we were being ignored which is a shame. The food when it did come was as good as ever and the coffee was still great. so I ;d just like to say to the owner tell those young lads to shape up a bit as they are letting the side down. Also there were about three cars that parked out the front (where I like to park as I am disabled) who then proceeded to go for a walk in the woods opposite and did;nt even come in the speech house, blocking spaces for people like me who struggle to walk. Lets hope its just a blip.

Date of visit: October 2018
peterhands, Owner at The Speech House, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2018

Dear John J
Many thanks for taking time to leave a review on your last visit to the Speech House.
I am sorry to read that the service you received was below our usual high standards and I will look into it with my Operations Manager.
We have taken on some new trainees but they should have been on the ball and made the effort to clear used tables. The Buck stops with me and I will take steps to ensure that this does not reoccur.
With regard to the car parking situation we rely on people to observe the disabled signs we have repainted on the parking spaces. Sadly I do not have the facility to constantly manage the car parking spaces.
I can only apologise once again and do my best to ensure normal service is resumed as soon as possible.
I am pleased to read that you did enjoy your coffee and meals.
Thank you once again for your feedback which is always welcome so as to allow us to monitor and evaluate our performance.

Reviewed 24 September 2018

Second time we have visited The Speech House for Sunday lunch and again we were not disappointed. We travelled from Solihull to meet relatives from Cardiff so an ideal meeting place. A year or so since the previous time. Somewhat out in the wilds and an hour and a half drive for us but worth the effort. From reception through the meal and then coffee everything was thoroughly enjoyed. Pleasant staff helped the experience complementing well-cooked and presented food. A voucher for a free bottle of wine helped enormously!!! Beef and pork excellent. Well worth over three hours driving there and back but the weather was good so an enjoyable time. Thoroughly enjoyed by all. No doubt we will be back to enjoy the very good value offered by The Speech House..

Date of visit: September 2018
peterhands, Owner at The Speech House, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2018

Dear John B,
Many thanks for taking time to leave a review on your recent visit for Sunday Lunch.
I am delighted to read that you and your friends had a very enjoyable meal and experience recently.
I thank you for your very kind comments which I have passed on to all my team.
We all hope to see you again soon,

Reviewed 5 September 2018

Everything was delightful, from the tablecloth, silver tea set to the plentiful food. There were some interesting flavour combinations both in the savoury and sweet parts. Who would have thought of elderflower jam! The scones were really light and fresh.

Date of visit: September 2018
peterhands, Owner at The Speech House, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2018

Dear Rutlandlass,
Thank you for your very kind comments regarding your experience when you visited us for afternoon tea.
I am delighted that you enjoyed the creativity of my Chefs and the flavours they created.
I have passed on your very kind comments to all of my team.
We all hope to see you again when you are next in the area.