1,901 results
All reviews catalina restaurant golf course blaney bar thai spa lough erne afternoon tea bedroom lodge noel mcmeel five star hotel round of golf the main hotel beautiful hotel golf club castle hume star experience sauna and steam room fine dining
Reviewed 9 October 2012

A LITTLE PIECE OF HEAVEN
October 2012

As I approached the main entrance of the Hotel I immediately started to relax and felt as though I was coming home. This was the second visit for my Husband and me to the Lough Erne Resort as we had previously stayed for 2 nights in February 2012. Having had such a great experience in February we had always planned to come back and bring our daughter and son-in-law with us. I had talked for hours with them about our five star experiences including, the tranquil surroundings, and the exceptionally friendly and attentive staff combined with a relaxed and peaceful atmosphere.

I and my Husband have stayed in many 5 star resorts throughout Northern Ireland and have never visited the same place twice, so for me coming back to the same resort for a second time spoke volumes about all aspects of this particular 5 star resort. Our daughter and son-in-law were very excited to visit with us and it surely was a picture watching their faces light up with surprise and awe as we slowly approached the entrance to the resort.

On arrival we were greeted by the warm and friendly staff, even the Manager himself remembered my Husband and me and came over to welcome us back and say hello. The attentiveness of staff within the resort is superb and their attention to detail is flawless. The concierge Brendan took our bags and guided us to our rooms. We were privileged to be staying within the resorts two beautiful and exclusive suites. The rooms we stayed in had the most exquisite antique furnisher; they were elegant, spacious and had the most stunning décor with the most beautiful views over the golf course and Lough Erne.

After settling in to our rooms my daughter and myself headed for the Thai Spa as we were booked in for full body massages in a lovely double treatment room together. Having experienced the spa on my first visit I knew the magnificent treatment and service I was about to receive, however this being my daughters first time it was wonderful watching her eyes light up with excitement and surprise in anticipation of the unique Thai Spa experience she was about to receive. The Thai Spa manager Orla recognised me from my first visit and was just as friendly and attentive on our second visit. I would recommend that anyone staying in the resort take the time to visit and experience the Thai Spa as it is just out of this world and in complete contrast to any other spa experience. The attention to detail, service and friendliness completes the spa experience.

Relaxed, reinvigorated and energised we went back to our suites to get ready for dinning that evening. Having arrived on a Friday afternoon the hotel was very busy and it was difficult to get a table to dine in the Blaney Bar, however James McPhillips did recommend the Loughside Bar & Grill and he even took the time to walk us across the short distance and show us the way. We had never eaten in the Loughside Grill so this was to be a new experience and what an experience this turned out to be!!! The food we had that night was sumptuous, flawless and we enjoyed every bite. My son-in-law had extremely high praise for the chef and as he is a chef himself in a five star hotel in Belfast, this really was praise indeed, as he is particularly hard to please in relation to food. After we were all well fed and sated from our dinning experience in the Loughside Grill we retired to the comfortable couches in the Blaney Bar for some relaxing drinks and cocktails for the ladies. The atmosphere in the Blaney Bar is tranquil, warm and cosy and we thoroughly enjoyed our time there, later we decided to move to the Gordon Wilson Library (another luxurious, elegant and immaculately kept room in the hotel) to continue our drinks and play a game of chess, not that we could play very well, but the craic was good! Finally we returned to the decadent luxury of our suites and sleep peacefully all night in the beautiful, comfy, large mahogany four-poster bed.

Breakfast the next morning in the Catalina was lovely, with a great choice of food and cooked to perfection, we enjoyed every mouthful and this hearty breakfast set us up for the day ahead. Having booked our fine dinning experience in the Catalina later in the evening at 8pm we spent the remainder of the day relaxing in our suite and then headed out into Enniskillen town for a walk about and some shopping before heading back to the hotel. Our fine dining experience was everything you would expect it to be and more! The food was exquisite, we were all very well catered for and the Chef Noel McMeel came out to introduce himself to us, which I found to be very friendly and personable, he chatted and made us all feel relaxed very quickly. The food and wine in the Catalina is prepared to perfection and tastes divine, the presentation of the food and detail makes the experience more enjoyable. The service in the Catalina is first class, attentive, friendly and helpful, no question or request is overlooked. The dinning experience in the Catalina is an experience of itself and I would highly recommend.

Following our dinner in the Catalina we relaxed in the Blaney Bar for some drinks before retiring to our warm comfortable four-poster bed and had another great nights sleep. I notice myself that when staying her in the Lough Erne Resort I am very relaxed and chilled out and felt renewed from my 3-night stay. However I will be sorry to leave on the Monday afternoon.

By total accident I came across the Christmas and New Year Brochure for packages for 2013. Of course this has given me a great idea of wanting to bring my family and Grand-children down again over Christmas, however this may prove to be a little difficult to arrange, so our plans have changed from Christmas to coming back for New Years Eve and New Year Day with my family. A prospect I am very excited about. In addition I will be working very closely with Karen Bogue through the next coming months as I have decided to Renew my wedding vows here at The Lough Erne Resort next year and am also looking forward to visiting for New Year.

Karen Bogue kindly organised the complimentary use of a golf buggy for myself, as I would not have been able to walk around the golf course due to ill health, this allowed us to take in the sights and beautiful scenery around the Nick Faldo golf course at a leisurely pace and we all enjoyed it thoroughly. We were lucky enough to eat in all the restaurants within the resort and found the food to be excellent in all four of them.

Sunday was the perfect day of relaxation as the hotel was less busy and the ambience was exquisite and allowed for well-needed rest and recuperation. An organised late check out on the Monday meant that we did not have to rush and could take our time and relax a little before having to leave this beautiful, tranquil, magnificent resort. Of course this makes us a little sad to be leaving, but I am comforted in the knowledge that I will be back again soon.

Hotel staff I would like to specially mention are; Karen Bogue, Fergal, Adrian (missed seeing him on this visit), James McPhillips, Nail, Orla in the spa, Elaine Gormley, Roy, Brendan and all front desk and concierge staff. I would like to insist that all staff in this hotel from housekeeping to the front desk are exceptional, courteous, well mannered and professional, however for me I have dealt with some more than others and it has been an absolute pleasure.

Having spent three fantastic days here it is now time to go home, I will leave this afternoon with a lump in my throat and renewed excitement for my next visit. This Hotel & Resort is an absolute jewel, a superior place to stay and well deserved of their five star status.

We will be back soon, until then we wish all staff here at the Lough Erne Resort good health, happiness and wealth.

Kindest Regards

Paton & Sinclair Families

Room tip: Any rooms in this hotel are amazing, but the suites are in a league of their own.
Date of stay: October 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
LoughErneResort, General Manager at Lough Erne Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2012

To the Paton & Sinclair families

We were delighted to have you both come to stay with us recently in our "Little Piece of Heaven".

I would not know where to start to Thank You, for you and your families extremely kind review of your stay with us, and indeed for taking the time to recognize and identify all of the staff who made your stay that much more enjoyable.

We look forward to having you back with us at the New Year, but more importantly for the renewing of your vows in 2013. It is a very special occasion, and we here at Lough Erne are all delighted that you have chosen to celebrate this with us.

Thank you all once again, and I look forward to seeing you for the New Year.

With kind regards

Ferghal and The Lough Erne Team.

Reviewed 4 October 2012

What a wonderful location, if you want to see ireland, this truly is beautiful. The walks around the hotel are just breathtaking as are the views. We just walked every day non stop and took advantage of all the different walks.

Our room was lovely, with a gorgeous view. The staff were all so friendly, true irish hospitality.

I would recommend going the whole hog; we arrived and got settled, then went for a walk, later to the pool which is beautiful with gorgeous views, and then rested until dinner. Dinner was beautiful, small portions, french cuisine, really fabulous food which I wasn't expecting. The bar is lovely for a drink.

The next day we went for walks, then had a treatment at the spa. The facials are fabulous and the thai lady's are just fab. After that the afternoon tea is truly lovely, one is enough for both. The lady who serves is extremely professional.

All in all the whole experience was just great.

Date of stay: May 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled with family

Dear "Aoertzen"

You certainly tried everything, and it was great to see that you thoroughly enjoyed the combination of all that we have to offer. We do not treat ourselves often enough or indeed rest enough, so I was delighted to see that you managed to find the blend of both here with us.

I will certainly pass on your kind words to all of the staff.

Reviewed 30 September 2012

I have just returned from a weekend in this magnificent resort. We stayed in one of the luxurious lodges which was overlooking the golf course and the lake and it is hard to imagine a nicer view from a hotel bedroom. Food in the restaurant was excellent and there is plenty of walks in the area. I will definitely be back

Date of stay: September 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled with family

Dear "FreddyC"

Thank you for your very kind words, and I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us recently. I will certainly pass on your appreciation of the food to the Chef and his team. Being a keen walker myself, I am glad you go the opportunity to enjoy the walk around the property, it really does give you a greater appreciation of the Lakes.

We look forward to having you back sooner rather than later.

Reviewed 29 September 2012

We had a night away at Lough Erne in August and came home thoroughly relaxed and very well fed. There was a slight mix up with our booking, however the staff sorted this out very professionally and the result was beyond our expectations.

It is lovely to be able to walk around the golf course, withough disturbing the golfers, the scenery is stunning so it would be a shame to miss out on it.
We had lunch in the Loughside Bar and Grill sitting in the sun watching the golfers play the hole. We had dinner in the Catalina, I was slighty disappointed becuase on a previous visit they had had a wine table which allowed diners to have a glass of wine which was recommended to go with whatever their meal was and this had done. It was also incredibly hot in there the night we were there as they had not thought to put on the air conditioning.
I had a treatment in the Spa which was very relaxing and set me up for the week ahead
Overall its a lovely relaxing place to stay, and we would return in the future.

Date of stay: August 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Suz_267
LoughErneResort, General Manager at Lough Erne Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 6 October 2012

Dear "Suz_267"

There is no better way to start your week, than with a Thai massage at the end of the last week. It certainly takes some of the stress away. Having been here some 11 months now, I have not seen the wine table you refer to, I must investigate the concept, for it certainly seems like an innovative and novel idea, although it may now be a space issue.

Thank you for taking the time to post such a positive review, and I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Reviewed 27 September 2012

The rooms and overall setting are fantastic. Some of the employees seem indifferent. We made reservations for the afternoon tea and when the time came to be seated, we were brought into a room and served tea. Little did we know that wasn't the room for the afternoon tea until about 25 minutes later. (none of us has attended a high tea before) Once the discovery was made it seemed the waitstaff could care less. I must say not all of the employees were indifferent and the one that brought our bags to our room was quite helpful in explaining how to log onto the free wifi and where we could find the nearby walking trails.

Date of stay: September 2012

Dear "RetRPH"

I was terribly disappointed to hear of the indifference you experienced, during your Afternoon Tea experience, for one of our greatest strengths are our staff, but for some reason, not on this occasion. I am terribly sorry.

Let me however Thank You for the constructive nature of your review, and indeed for recognizing those who make the special effort.

I do hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back again to Lough Erne at some stage in the future.

Yours sincerely