All reviews presidential suite afternoon tea jacuzzi bath lakeside room wedding reception country hotel lovely grounds travelzoo deal wedding venue four poster bed lovely hotel room was large wedding breakfast sandwiches birthday treat waiting staff course meal
Reviewed 2 October 2017

To begin with, the upgrade to a suite wasn't really a suite. It was a small bedroom with a nice bathroom. However there was no hot water at 10pm for a bath.

A member of staff (James B) came to look, agreed there was a problem and promised to revert to me, which he failed to do. I went to reception to find James only to be told that he was now dealing with something else. The receptionist asked me to try the water again. The water was still cold. It was not possible to use the shower either because the temperature control was inoperable.

The tap water was only mildly warm the next morning. I had to add a kettle of hot water to wash and shave. At 8:30am when booking out I asked to speak to a manager and was told that no-one was available until after 9am. I left my phone number with reception and was promised that I would be contacted the next day (Thursday). No-one rang. I rang on Friday afternoon and was told by the receptionist that no manager was available, but that she would email two managers to call me. No-one called either that day or Saturday or Sunday. I called on Monday and Vicky, Operations Manager, returned my call. She had received the internal email but had been busy with a wedding and had assumed that the other colleague would have answered. She was not aware of the lack of hot water, but apologized and said there would be no charge for the upgrade.

I was offered the opportunity to stay there again but declined.

Even in the best run hotels things can occasionally go wrong. Customers should bring issues to the attention of the staff. I did this. The Mere Court Hotel staff showed an unacceptable failure of customer service. Had the problem been addressed at the time this would have been a three star review. What makes it a one star is the total lack of interest by staff in responding to the initial problem and, even worse, their failure to contact me when I made it clear I had a legitimate complaint.

Incidentally, the food wasn’t all that special. The dinner was fine, but I would hate to pay the full menu price; we were on a Travelzoo deal with a £25 per head allowance. The service from the kitchen was slow. We waited about 40 minutes for our mains. The couple next to us, also on a Travelzoo deal, had to wait a similar time and left without ordering a dessert, telling us they couldn’t be bothered to wait any longer.

Breakfast consisted of cooked food getting cold and congealed in containers, and we were down for breakfast within 30 minutes of service starting so goodness knows that it was like for later arrivals. Also you had to cook your own toast which took about 5 minutes. All the waiting staff do is bring tea and coffee. They don’t rush to clear the tables either. We saw new arrivals having to take cutlery from nearby tables to add to the depleted items on their table.

Room tip: Don't expect the Blenheim Suite to be a suite in the accepted sense
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank EricBurden
MereCourtHotel, General Manager at Mere Court Hotel And Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2017

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Please accept my sincere apologies for the problems you encountered. I would obviously have liked the opportunity to regain your faith in the hotel but understand this is something you are unwilling to consider. As can be seen by our other reviews, we pride ourselves on the levels of service we offer and will use your feedback positively.
Please be assured of our best intentions.

Reviewed 1 October 2017

A very pleasant overnight stay in this lovely hotel. We stayed in the Kensington suite.
The room had a lovely bay window which overlooked the fountain and the gardens.
Room was gorgeous with a lovely bathroom..pity I couldn't get the jets to work on the bath.
Staff were exceptional and couldn't do enough for us.
Breakfast was yummy..especially the eggs benedict.
Bar area was cosy and comfortable.
Would stay there again.

Room tip: The old part of the building is lovely. Rooms are named after palaces.
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Thank you for such a kind review. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 29 September 2017 via mobile

Weve just returned from a 2 night DBB break at ,Mere court, and cant praise the staff enough, from the cleaners bar staff and restuarant staff they were all friendly and helpfull, thank you. The food at breakfast and evening meal were of a high standard . We would have liked more choice, but understand for a resturant to offer great standards in quality they must sacrifice size of the menu..
We loved the setting, though we are a little perplexed at the" lakeside" bedrooms as there isnt a lake.
Room was LARGE, well equiped, it was lit only with standard and table lights, which was nice but not quite bright enough when reading.
All in all recommend this hotel for romantic breaks or just an evening meal.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple

I am delighted to read such a positive review. I have passed this to my team for whom such reviews are a great motivation. I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 20 September 2017 via mobile

WOW..... we've stayed at far too many hotels with work and pre holiday and this is by far the most welcoming with great standard/service we've stayed at in many years. The bar/restaurant food and service was excellent and we found our whole stay great value. Special thanks to Martin on reception for the upgrade to the lodge and Ben on the bar for great service.
It's been great and see you soon

1  Thank dazalix

Thank you for such an amazing review. I am delighted to read such wonderful praise and I hope it isn't too long before we welcome you back to Mere Court.

Reviewed 11 September 2017 via mobile

Stayed park and fly 30th august .nice hotel clean and lovely room.adked for a early morning call 245 am as taxi was collecting us fir manchester airport .never got the call lucky our alarm went off or we would have been late for the pick up for this reason we would not stay again .

1  Thank joannesam

Thank you for your review. I am glad to hear that on the whole you enjoyed your stay. Please accept my sincere apologies regarding your alarm call and be assured of our best intentions.