“25th Wedding Anniversary. The 10-course grazing menu looked special and it did not dissappoint”
Review of Hammer and Pincers

Hammer and Pincers
Ranked #3 of 278 Restaurants in Loughborough
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 31 May 2018

Went here for the first time to celebrate our 25th Wedding Anniversary. We chose it based on TripAdvisor reviews and the way the Grazing Menu looked so special and we also included the wine flight too. Booking process was a doddle and when we arrived, we had a nice warm welcome and decided to have some very gin (lots of choice) in the waiting area and again surveyed the 10 course Grazing menu. The head waiter came over and discussed how the menu worked and explained everything - to put us at ease.
We were then invited through and the experience began. Every course was delightful and so very tasty. The choice of wines was a masterstroke and they all went well with the food. My wife also tried, and also found out she loved food, thatr she would not necessarily have chosen from the main menu. Throughout all the staff were attentive but not over-powering and they explained the contents of each course and wine as it arrived. Any questions were answered with authority and great knowledge of the food served. We had such a wonderful evening and at the end the owner and head-chef Danny came out and asked how are experinece was and what we liked most. Well we liked every course but the stand outs were the Sea Trout, Pigs Cheek, Shrimp & Scallop, Lamb and the cucumber, dill and lime sorbet served with ice cold French sparkling wine. Will definately come back again and recommend this establishment without any doubt. You even got a list of where they buy everything from. All local and gerat quality. Finally we also bought a silver sheep to mark the day perfectly.

3  Thank Chris S

Reviewed 30 May 2018

House guests offered to take us out for a meal to say 'thank you' for having them and we chose this restaurant - which we had been meaning to go to since we arrived in Leicestershire 5 years ago. It really lived up to its reputation - we had booked Sunday lunch and as it was such a lovely day and there was a free table we sat outside under the awning, and enjoyed both drinks and lunch. Our guests are quick to criticise if places do not come up to a good standard, and on this occasion there was not a word of complaint! OK, the staff are young, but they have to learn somewhere. The food was excellent, service was cheerful and as attentive as we needed. When going inside to visit the ladies we were struck by how close together the tables were, and were glad we had chosen to sit outside and enjoy the sunshine.

1  Thank Sdg47
Reviewed 30 May 2018 via mobile

We and some friends went to the Hammer & Pincers for Sunday lunch recently after not going to the restaurant for a period of time but always remembering how excellent it was both for the food and the service and although the food was still very good with the exception of my wife’s lamb which was fatty and sinewy which when asked by the waitress how was our food who served us and the young man who brought us our bill nothing was done about it and that leads me to the service overall, when we arrived and as it was such a nice afternoon we had drinks outside and after being asked what we wanted I asked for an Aperol Spritz only to be told they did not have any which I am very surprised at as it is so popular but I thought hey ho so we had 3 glasses of Rose and a Pimms then the I assume the manager came to take our order dressed in a black suit white shirt and black tie who looked as he had just stepped out of a Masons meeting or attending a funeral and was totally out of character with the rest of the staff very odd !!! he then informed us that although most of the things were on there were certain things were not I find that really strange that on a busy Bank Holiday Sunday when you know you are going to be extremely busy that you DONT ever run out of things , so after he took our order ( the last we saw of him ) we sat and chatted for literally 5 mins when the very YOUNG waitress came and said were we ready to go in and we said no could we have some more time to enjoy our drinks in the sunshine she came back after 10 mins and asked again so we went in she DID NOT bring a tray to take in our drinks nor offer to carry them SERVICE what SERVICE !!!!! plus we asked for the table to be wiped down as it was dirty and dusty she did eventually come back with a dry napkin and attempt to clean it NOT very successfully , Lunch /Food as I said earlier was excellent with very good starters except I ordered the Tuna Tartar and when the YOUNG waiter came he said who was having the Sea Trout and then said sorry that was last night starter !!!! and WHAT EVER happened to lovely crockery our main courses were served on what only can be described as round tea trays !!! come on you don’t need to be QUIRKY less is more !!!! and the food warranted a better presentation and one of the things that we all used to love about the Sunday Lunch at the H&P was the gravy which was and is still thick and wonderful and the staff always half way through your main course asked if you would like some more and we always said YES -WHY has this stopped?? and the reason I keep referring to the YOUNG staff who looked as they were still at school very pleasant but lacked service experience especially in a restaurant of this quality it screamed for someone to teach them the finer points of service and we were ALL really surprised at when we asked did the same couple own the Hammer and Pincers to be told YES as with their background of working at the Savoy Hotel in London you would have thought things I have mentioned above would have been seen to . I know I sound like a grumpy old man but I am not we would go back again and recommend the Hammer & Pincers to others as the Sunday Roast was excellent BUT PLEASE take what I have said as it is meant as constructive criticism and get your staff sorted out for the top to the bottom your only redeeming member of staff was the guy behind the bar who had humour and personality and should be in charge the others including the manger were totally forgettable unfortunately.
Stephen M

2  Thank stephenmU3945TR
Reviewed 29 May 2018

Having eaten at the Hammer & Pincers for years now it just gets better & better.
Every time we go we are blown away with what Danny and his team produce!!
So good in fact I asked Danny if he could come and do a birthday luncheon for 40
In our garden !! Incredible!!! The food was so amazing my guests were completely
In their element as all "proper foodies"!!! Well done Danny AND he explained, served and cleared everything away!! Can't wait to find a excuse to use him again!!!! Thanks Danny especially the chocolate mousse birthday cake !!!!! Claire Watson.

3  Thank Claire W
Reviewed 25 May 2018

Delicious interesting food. Unexpected flavours. Friendly service. Chef trained at The Savoy and it shows!

1  Thank Elizabeth W