“Such an improvement - much better now in 2017”

The Prince of Wales
Ranked #51 of 93 Restaurants in Ross-on-Wye
Price range: US$3 - US$16
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 16 August 2017 via mobile

Family birthday meal, was very surprised at the change under new regime . Maybe the owners have listened as it has been transformed in attitude and surroundings. Food (carvery) was well presented and cooked , service was very good and duty manager(Emma?) tried to ensure we enjoyed the experience. All was good apart from cold plates which marred the meal as food went cold quite quickly. Management should install hot plate machine to complete the transformation of a decent meal in good surroundings with good staff ( vast improvement - well done). Would we eat here again - yes - booked next week for 6 - hopefully with hot plates.

Reviewed 15 July 2017

just reopened under new management they use the set price menu method.. place looks a bit bare needs some more character looks un finished...FOOD..wife had the lasagne off the 6 pound menu she loved it and thought it was good value.. but had to pay for chips extra so that's an extra £2.50 on top of price so not so cheap...step dad had homemade steak and ale pie off the 6 pound menu and he loved it and said he had loads of meat and good value...I had the large plaice off the 8 pound menu...didn't look large to me didn't think it was good value at all should of been on 6 pound menu I think.. had extra garlic bread £2.50 for three little slices and one was burnt... sides seem a bit pricey to me...Don't accept card at the moment not sure if this is permanent or not.. food is well prepared..

Reviewed 2 April 2017

Stopped over at the Prince of Wales while travelling in our motorhome from Wales. The Landlord and Landlady ( and locals) were very welcoming and friendly.....Enjoyed a very nice steak meal and overall a very pleasant evening. Definitely worth a visit when in Ross-on-Wye.....

Reviewed 28 March 2017

Came here for a spot of lunch a couple of months ago. My husband ordered the mixed grill. I had steak. My meal was OK, however, my husbands bacon was burnt, and i mean burnt to the point of cremated!! He wouldnt complain so i did, to the waitress, and her words were ( I LIKE MINE LIKE THAT) what burnt bacon love? well sorry, not what we like..How bl**dy rude!!! Dont think ill come back here to be quite honest.

Reviewed 19 March 2017 via mobile

We visited this restaurant on a Sunday about 5pm with 2 young children.
The carvery was still available but looked a bit dried out, but in fairness it was finishing at 5pm so we decided to order from the regular menu.
The kids had sausage and chips which was excellent and pizza and chips, the pizza i failed to cut with a steak knife...
The adults both ordered a mixed grill, we did not fancy having a chicken breast with it though and the chef told us we could have a whole steak, instead of half instead. We were more than happy with this so we went to the bar to pay. The women behind the bar, who we assumed must be management, told us the chef had no right to tell us that and the difference would be taken from his wages!
Could not believe how unprofessional this sounded plus you would never tell the public about taking money off somebody's wages!
We thought the chef superb as he knew we didn't want the carvery and was basically encouraging us to eat in the restaurant which at the time, in fact the whole time we were there, was totally empty!
Was a fantastic mixed grill and we thanked the chef who was helpful, polite and a great cook, however the same cannot be said for the female management!

1  Thank Tina S
sikaffs, Owner at The Prince of Wales, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2017

Thank you for your review. But I'm afraid my point still stands that if you wish to change anything on the menu, it's obvious that you do not ask the chef and you enquire at point of order. The chef is employed and is therefore paid as an employee and does not have the authority to make decisions involving discounts. The price between a chicken breast and steak is considerably different, as I'm sure you were well aware of.
I can only apologise for our restaurant being empty at 5pm but all 170 mains covers that passed through our doors yesterday had done so between 11.30 and 4.00pm without complaint.