“Excellent........and Dog friendly...”

Price range: US$3 - US$16
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 2 April 2017

Stopped over at the Prince of Wales while travelling in our motorhome from Wales. The Landlord and Landlady ( and locals) were very welcoming and friendly.....Enjoyed a very nice steak meal and overall a very pleasant evening. Definitely worth a visit when in Ross-on-Wye.....

Reviewed 28 March 2017

Came here for a spot of lunch a couple of months ago. My husband ordered the mixed grill. I had steak. My meal was OK, however, my husbands bacon was burnt, and i mean burnt to the point of cremated!! He wouldnt complain so i did, to the waitress, and her words were ( I LIKE MINE LIKE THAT) what burnt bacon love? well sorry, not what we like..How bl**dy rude!!! Dont think ill come back here to be quite honest.

Reviewed 19 March 2017 via mobile

We visited this restaurant on a Sunday about 5pm with 2 young children.
The carvery was still available but looked a bit dried out, but in fairness it was finishing at 5pm so we decided to order from the regular menu.
The kids had sausage and chips which was excellent and pizza and chips, the pizza i failed to cut with a steak knife...
The adults both ordered a mixed grill, we did not fancy having a chicken breast with it though and the chef told us we could have a whole steak, instead of half instead. We were more than happy with this so we went to the bar to pay. The women behind the bar, who we assumed must be management, told us the chef had no right to tell us that and the difference would be taken from his wages!
Could not believe how unprofessional this sounded plus you would never tell the public about taking money off somebody's wages!
We thought the chef superb as he knew we didn't want the carvery and was basically encouraging us to eat in the restaurant which at the time, in fact the whole time we were there, was totally empty!
Was a fantastic mixed grill and we thanked the chef who was helpful, polite and a great cook, however the same cannot be said for the female management!

1  Thank Tina S
sikaffs, Owner at The Prince of Wales, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2017

Thank you for your review. But I'm afraid my point still stands that if you wish to change anything on the menu, it's obvious that you do not ask the chef and you enquire at point of order. The chef is employed and is therefore paid as an employee and does not have the authority to make decisions involving discounts. The price between a chicken breast and steak is considerably different, as I'm sure you were well aware of.
I can only apologise for our restaurant being empty at 5pm but all 170 mains covers that passed through our doors yesterday had done so between 11.30 and 4.00pm without complaint.

Reviewed 4 March 2017 via mobile

Called in for something to eat and we were pleasantly surprised. The menu suited all of us and was extremely good value. We ordered our meals and told there would be a thirty minute wait, that was not a problem I mean I could not cooked our meals in thirty minutes at home. I really don't understand people who chose to eat out and then whinge about a wait. Also if people have a problem surley they should complain at the time I know I would. Any way our meals came out hot tasty and very generous. We also had coffee which was so so good. Then we had a pudding it was absolutely yummy. We really enjoyed it very much.

2  Thank Cyndi M
Reviewed 28 February 2017

Called in for Sunday Lunch after googling 'Carvery nearby' whilst driving home. The food was delicious. Beef, turkey and pork available and was so tender it practically melted in the mouth, wide selection of vegetables all perfectly cooked. Exceptionally good value for money with very generous portion sizes. Staff were very friendly and helpful. Will definitely return when we're in area again

1  Thank Leigh M
sikaffs, Owner at The Prince of Wales, responded to this reviewResponded 1 March 2017

Thank you for your review. We are so pleased you enjoyed your Carvery. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.