“VEGAN ROAST! Also catered for gluten-free vegan.”

The Kidz & Co Soft Play Cafe
Ranked #24 of 42 Restaurants in Salcombe
Price range: US$1 - US$13
Description: The Kidz & Co is a café serving fresh, home cooked food everyday from 9-5. We provide a pushchair park, soft play area, games, toys and have a vast stock of fancy dress for your little ones to play with. We have our very own blend of coffee beans, freshly ground on site and have a beautiful espresso machine from Italy, making superb coffee of all shapes and sizes.
Reviewed 26 November 2017

Went with my parents for the Sunday roast. They had the beef - my daughter and I are vegan and I am also gluten-free so we had the cranberry and herb nut roast which was the nicest I've EVER had! The staff were lovely, very accommodating - and made my gravy which brought with me. ( though the roast potatoes aren't as good as mine :P )
Lovely view, nice space. They even had vegan cakes ! Thanks - we will be back again.

Reviewed 26 November 2017 via mobile

Customer service was very friendly and welcoming, and the food was great (vegan friendly which is hard to find!)

Reviewed 11 October 2017 via mobile

Simply put, you cannot fault The Kidz & Co.
Staff are amazing, likewise the food which is always perfect and it's the only place I ever drink coffee. A great hardworking team who deliver the best and always with a smile.

Reviewed 9 October 2017

Unbelievable bad/rude/arrogant customer service when I complained of luke warm soup after a 15 min wait. To be told I was rude and they didn't want my service again in front of other customers. I used to be regular customer. I certainly will not be returning . Neither will any of my family/friends. Which will please the waitress no doubt.

4  Thank Basmantravels
Corinne L, Owner at The Kidz & Co Soft Play Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2017

We were awaiting this review.

Our café has a capacity of 60 downstairs and 25 upstairs. On the day in question, we had a very unexpected busy day that left two tables free downstairs and three tables free upstairs. We had two members of staff for the whole building that day, including the kitchen. This however, is of course, not the customers fault but you could see the staff member downstairs rushing around serving everyone their drinks and food.

When the 'waitress' spotted your wife looking distressed at an empty table, she asked, "I'm sorry, can I help, are you waiting?' to be snapped at, "we have been waiting for over ten minutes now, it's ridiculous!" A little confused, she replied, "I am sorry but I am on my own down here today if you could order at the counter when you are ready" To again, be barked at "we ordered at the counter for two soups over ten minutes ago," with a roll of the eyes and a shake of the head. At which point the 'waitress' recognised the male in the couple as he was the one that had ordered. "oh yes, I am so sorry," replied the 'waitress', "unfortunately there are other food orders in the kitchen, as you can see we are rather busy, but the order has gone up and it will be down as soon as it's ready." This response, instead of being received by understanding was again received with an eye roll and a big sigh from yourself.

The 'waitress' , being certain it had not been very long, checked the time the order was placed at the till, which at this point in time, had been SEVEN minutes. (I might add that were your order the ONLY order in the kitchen, the freshly baked baguettes alone take 8 minutes in the oven)

With eyes boring into the back of her head at every move, the 'waitress' messaged the kitchen, asking how long on the soups. Chef informed her they would not be long, but had a big order from a family upstairs that had ordered before the soups that he was just getting out now, the two soups were just after that. So she cleared some plates and cups from another table and as she went to take them upstairs, your wife walked past her, loud enough for the whole front of the café to hear, remarking, "Over 15minutes for two soups it's absolutely ridiculous!" (now it had actually reached ten minutes) The 'waitress' again tried to explain, "unfortunately there was a queue of checks in when you ordered and there is an order of checks, the first ones in get made first. I'm sorry but there are other customers who have ordered food too and they ordered before you, so that's how the food will arrive, but it shan't be long." The 'waitress' was ignored.

Then, when the 'waitress' took some paninis past your table to the family that had ordered before you, a disgusted look was thrown her way with a very loud sigh.

Immediately after the big family was served, the soups were served, with an apology for the wait. Your response was "well, it was really silly wasn't it?" and your wife's response was, "well, we got there in the end didn't we?" in a VERY patronising and derogatory tone of voice.

After slopping the soup about the plate for a while, you looked at the 'waitress' and said that it was luke warm. The bowls were still steaming when put down on the table and it seemed to the 'waitress' that nothing she could have done would have made this situation any better. A full refund was offered at which point you both stood up and pretty much shouted, "this is absolutely disgusting service, over fifteen minutes for soup!?!"

When at the counter you continued to belittle, insult and ridicule the staff member in front of the whole café. When she replied that she had never been spoken to so rudely in her life. You shouted in her face. "EXCUSE ME!?! You are being rude. We have never had this problem before from this establishment, fifteen minutes for two soups? We shall never come back here again and we will MAKE SURE NOBODY else does!"

Handing over a full refund, the 'waitress' AGAIN apologised and said, "I am sorry you had such a terrible time." You snorted and stormed out saying, "No you're not!"

The reason I know the events which occurred this day, word for word, is because the said, 'waitress' was in fact myself, the owner of the business.

On our menu it reads, 'Please be aware there will be a wait on food at busy periods. We shall get your orders out as quickly as we can.' A footnote on our menu that you must not have read.
We do not serve fast food sir, we serve fresh, homemade, home cooked food as quickly as we can. I can only apologise that you had such an awful time at our establishment, we did try our best under the circumstances but I refuse to be spoken to and treated like an inferior being. I am only grateful that it was me and not a member of my staff that was treated so poorly by you and your wife as you could quite clearly see how busy we were.

Might I suggest that if you wish to be treated and served as if you are the only people in the establishment then perhaps you should look at finding an establishment that offers to rent out a whole café for simply you and your wife. Although the surrounding tables did offer me some comfort after your departure saying not to worry, as you both offered them some entertainment over lunch, being so obnoxious, rude, arrogant and impatient. One table said, "Don't let the bastards grind you down! They were horrible!"

So thank you Sir for your review, thank you for showing me that no matter how hard you try you cannot please everybody. Thank you for offering our kind, patient, loyal and returning custom some entertainment over their lunch and thank you for the promise that you will not be returning.

Reviewed 8 September 2017 via mobile

We have had a very rainy week in salcombe but hiding out in kidz and co has been fantastic.we went twice and our 3 year old and 1 year old were so happy.Every thing from a small play area to dressing up clothes to books And so it goes on.we didn't try the food but had very nice coffee.The view down stairs was lovely over the estuary but as had the kids with us we stayed upstairs where they were entertained.A relatively cheap entrance charge was fair.A great find in salcombe.

1  Thank Helen G