All reviews sister hotel traditional hotel no lift four poster christmas day the ground floor wedding reception central location good sized car park public areas comfortable hotel scones pannier market double room pudding sunday lunch centre of town
Reviewed 23 October 2017

Stayed here with my elderly mum for a weekend break and couldn't of been more pleased with everything. The lift from the car park to reception was great as she struggles a little with steps and we had a ground floor room with walk in shower which was also a bonus.
So glad we found this hotel. Lovely central location, relaxed atmosphere, friendly and helpful staff and amazing food. Fantastic value, especially if you book the Dartmoor Leisure break and stay 2 nights.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
gmbedfordhotel, General Manager at The Bedford Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2017

I am delighted you enjoyed your weekend break with your Mum on our "' Two night Dartmoor Leisure break'. This offer includes Dinner, bed and breakfast for two nights and indeed is excellent value with lots of choice on the dinner menu so you definitely won't be short of courses!

I am pleased that the ground floor rooms and lift to the ground floor was suitable your needs.

I look forward to seeing you again.

Warm wishes,

Leanne

Reviewed 23 October 2017

Stayed in this hotel for 2 nights. Very friendly staff, a little disappointed with the breakfast quite slow with the service perticulary the second morning, quite busy couldn't keep up with orders, got ours wrong. On the whole a very clean and comfortable hotel.

Stayed: October 2017
Reviewed 14 October 2017

We called in for coffee and were at first pleasantly surprised - it seemed a nice hotel. We ordered and paid, then sat waiting for our coffee. After 20 minutes, there was still no coffee but I noticed that two groups who'd ordered after us had already received their coffee. After being blanked by the server, I eventually got her attention and asked if we'd been forgotten? She said the till had gone down and so the coffee was now being made in the kitchens. What the till going down had to do with the two coffee machines behind the bar not working was anyone's guess. So I said these two groups had already received their coffee and had ordered after us. She shrugged and said 'It all depends on what order the tabs are taken in.' What they were now doing was hand writing the orders and putting them on the end of the bar, from where another waitress would collect them and take them to the kitchen. This was obviously a ludicrously haphazard process. She just shrugged again and said ours would be next - they weren't so we walked out. I have no problem with the tills (or indeed the bar coffee machines) not working but a hotel of this size should have in place a system which still provides order fulfilment in the order the orders are taken. At the very least, the servers should be more helpful and apologetic - not shrug us off as if we're making a fuss about nothing. Won't be revisitng.

Room Tip: Didn't stay so can't help
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 October 2017

Went to tavistock for Goose fair, and called in to the Bedford Hotel for Coffee and a Bacon roll. Good Value for money at £5 per person, and the bacon was really tasty. We have visited this hotel in the past for a cream tea, and the seating area is really relaxed and comfortable. Look forward to visiting again some time.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 October 2017

We spent a week-end here with some 23 other couples with our car club and I think it is fair to say that we all thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The hotel is perfectly located in the town opposite the famous Pannier market. There is plenty of secure parking which is important for all car enthusiasts. Rooms were good , a little dark in decor for my taste but never the less clean comfortable and with all the facilities you need.
12 of us booked a table to eat in the hotel on the Friday night and were treated to a private dining room for the evening which made this into a very special meal. Menu is really good with plenty of choice, a number of us including myself had the fishcakes as a starter and the the Malayan curry - I can really recommend both. I can also recommend the Plymouth gin sorbet dessert.
One criticism which the hotel can easily solve. Several of us requested a roll and butter with our meal and were told that this would be £4.50 each as we had not booked a three course meal. So despite spending on average £60+ per couple with drinks for the meal we were expected to pay £9 for two rolls. We all declined on principal as this is simply a ridiculous and petty situation .
The formal dinner on the Saturday evening for our party did include rolls and like the previous evening the food was really excellent.
In summery a really nice traditional hotel with an excellent restaurant

Stayed: September 2017