“Hungry thinking about it ”
Review of Meejana

Meejana
Ranked #6 of 87 Restaurants in Weybridge
Price range: US$25 - US$50
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Transit: Weybridge train station is a 10 minute walk away directly along Heath Road (which adjoins Church Street as you walk into Weybridge town centre from the station). Taxis attend the station and can be easily taken to get to our restaurant. We can also arrange taxi pick-ups from our restaurant to drop off locally or farther afield if required.
Description: Meejana is an award-winning, boutique Lebanese restaurant in Weybridge, Surrey ideal for a relaxed lunch or informal dinner. The food is traditional Lebanese with over 50 mezze dishes and 20 main courses, plus steaks for those who fancy a change. Half of the menu is vegetarian - this is traditional in Lebanon - and so the cuisine is perfect for all tastes. In general, the food is not spicy and the tastes range from the simple to the unexpected. We make each dish to order so you get the freshest taste you can when dining in the restaurant, which also means that when we are serving lots of mezze (the best way to experience the food) dishes do not arrive at the same time. However, this is usual of Mediterranean dining - you only have to look at tapas in Spanish cuisine - and you can't help but relax with a few friends, some wonderful food and some of the best boutique wines available today.
Reviewed 20 July 2018 via mobile

I love Lebanese food and I think meejana is great.
Mezze platters are lovely for lunch and I enjoyed eating outside in the sun.

Love the new extension to the restaurant.

I hope they promote the piano bar as a bar as well as a restaurant .With anther bar on the street that great but small it Would be nice to create another lively place to drink cocktails with live music and maybe dancing.

Date of visit: July 2018

Reviewed 8 July 2018

A special birthday meal. It is so nice, classy, up market full of quality adornments. Service is very polite and unintrusive. Had the mixed grill and kibbeh bel synieh & fattoush (essentially lamb, pine kernels, pomegranates). Both excellent and the latter very different. Will return again very soon.

Date of visit: June 2018
Reviewed 6 July 2018 via mobile

First time visit with my friend who is vegetarian.
Food and Service were excellent. Great variety of small plates to choose from the food is so delicious and something on the menu for everyone.
Staff very friendly and helpful in understanding the menu and making recommendations.
A very relaxed atmosphere and enjoyable visit.
Will definitely return and would thoroughly recommend.

Date of visit: July 2018
Reviewed 18 June 2018 via mobile

I took my partner to this restaurant as a recommendation from a friend. I thought the service was great and staff friendly, however, the food for me was missing something. It was just average. Good atmosphere but won’t be returning.

Date of visit: May 2018
Reviewed 11 June 2018

...how ( at the time of writing ) Meejana could possibly be listed as the Number 6 Restaurant in this area, as I have lived around here for many years and could easily list many venues that would offer a better experience than my visit.

Now I also prepare myself for one of the “ you don’t know what you are talking about “ responses from the owner, as he seems to struggle when reviews are less than complimentary. So I will try to be fair and say that my friends that dined with us enjoyed their meal, more than I did.

The venue lacks atmosphere, certain small areas feature some Lebanese styling, but large areas are simply cream coloured walls with occasional decorative mirrors. Lighting is fairly bright and the acoustics are terrible. On the night of our visit their was a piano player who was quite capable but simply too loud for comfort, I asked for the volume to be turned down. Now I am not against suitable volume but there was nothing Lebanese about the music and my table and the others around us had to raise our voices to be heard.
Anyway we ordered a selection of starters and shared them around our group, I focused on the Lamb Kebab which was okay, nothing special but okay. Not really any better than I could have got from the local kebab shop late at night.
For my main dish I ordered Salmon and Scallops. Now I am the first to admit that I am fussy about Salmon and hate it when it is served overcooked. In my opinion it should be Soft and pleasant to eat, as when it is overcooked it can be dry and like eating cardboard. Needless to say my meal was quickly sent back as it was not to my liking, maybe theirs but not mine.
Clearly as my friends were continuing to eat their meals I ordered a replacement meal that could be cooked quickly a Chicken Sharwarma. Now again in fairness my only previous experience of this dish, has been in other Lebanese restaurants and the presentation here at Meejana was completely different. To me this chicken seemed to be quickly pan fried with a few mixed herbs opposed to being a marinated item, it was okay but not something I would choose to order again.
Now not every restaurant is going to suit every diner, I am one that believes that themed places should have the feel of the country that it is themed on. Sorry but for me Meejana doesn’t have that feel, a few Tommy Cooper Fez hats scattered around does not have a genuine feel, also I would have expected the music to be more in keeping. I understand that Meejana has recently enlarged its operation, and as such it may be struggling to secure the right staff to cater for the larger business. Although the venue was not over busy when we visited, they seemed to be under pressure.
As we left the manager did apologise to me for the Salmon dish, but this will not be a place I will revisit, I probably would not be welcome anyway.

Date of visit: June 2018
3  Thank David C
Edward T, Owner at Meejana, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2018

You’re absolutely right - We’re not for everybody.

We’re also not a ‘themed restaurant’ and make no pretence of being one. The live music is something we want to add as something extra and, in Lebanon, this is quite normal. It’s not always about belly dancing and themed music. I am also not sure how to ‘turn down’ a piano, though I did ask him to try to play a little quieter. We also have a quieter room in the rear if people want to have just background music. Any night other than Saturday we play Arabic music through the speakers.

We still have a little work to do on the interior as the new shop front has taken 6 months to complete instead of 6-8 weeks. It’s been a headache but we’re nearly there as they say. The dimmer is on the fritz and the electrician needs to come in to fix it - the lights do dim down (normally).

We apologised (and did not charge) for the overcooked salmon and replaced the dish at your request. It’s not our liking to serve overcooked food, so we dealt with it appropriately. Our menu is home-style, which means Shawarma is cooked in the pan. The meat is marinated, but again if it’s not what you’re used to (from said late night kebab shops) then you’ll only be disappointed. I think I need to update the menu to make this clearer.

We have no issue with fair or balanced reviews and appreciate you taking that approach. We take issue with reviews that set out to deliberately harm, are plain rude, and make all sorts of nonsense assumptions and accusations. A lot of people ‘dress up’ the review - I think some people are wannabe starlets of the review scene because they think it’s the norm, but forget that there are real people just trying to do their best on the other end.

There’s a lot more to delivering good service than just looking at the headcount in a room and we’re working hard to achieve this. Good employees are hard to come in Weybridge by but we are slowly growing the team to meet our “oversubscribed” situations. You’d be welcome to come back if you want to try us again - we want everybody to have the best experience which is why we have a good overall rating, though understand we’re not for everybody.