“Could not get food becasue I tried to pay with Scottish Money”

Esquires Coffee Worthing
Ranked #9 of 18 Coffee & Tea in Worthing
Reviewed 28 August 2017

It's 2017 and I was refused my items because I only had Scottish Money, was told to get some out of the cash machine and come back. I have never had this before. I was shocked. I am reviewing the service in the Coffee shop not the food because I could not get any. I do think this is really awful. I was made to feel really embarrassed. Thankfully there are many other nice places in Worthing who are more than happy to take my money.

Reviewed 18 August 2017

I had just returned from a holiday in Scotland. When I tried to pay for my order, I was shocked to be told that Royal Bank of Scotland notes aren't accepted. I left as a matter of principle although I had English bank notes with me and was served without any problem whatsoever at another coffee shop across the street! Worthing Tourist Board has been working hard to encourage visitors to the area but archaic attitudes like this will do absolutely nothing to enhance its reputation.

1  Thank Anne J
Reviewed 11 August 2017

My friend and I were tired and needing a cuppa and cake but we'd spent too long on our other shopping and now at nearly 5.00 all our usual favorites were either closing or closed! Then we noticed 'Esquires' right there in the middle of town where it has apparently been for years....and open! Unlike the others they stay open until 6.30.The welcome was very friendly and when I asked about the Gluten Free Options I was immediately shown a huge cake in a covered case and told that this 'Strawberry and Pimms cake was Gluten Free! There was a good chunk left and my friend and I had a very generous sized piece each.It was moist, light and delicious! There was plenty of room in the long narrow restaurant to choose a comfy seat at the far end where there is a T.V on the wall but this was playing quietly and we did not find it intrusive. I would highly recommend a visit to this restaurant and the only problem it has given me is that it is yet another excellent choice of Gluten Free options!

Reviewed 28 July 2017

We decided to try somewhere new for coffee and what a find this was!!
Every single member of staff was fabulous, best service I've experienced in a long time.
God cup of coffee, but the bit we enjoyed the most was the Pimms & Strawberry cake.

1  Thank ZoeBailey72
Reviewed 14 July 2017

I've had takeaway coffee from here a few times so decided to call in for a quick lunch. The Staff, as always, were friendly, pleasant and very efficient. There is a large seating area, with relaxing decor.

There is a range of snacks and my choice - cheese and fig chutney sandwich and orange and lavender cake - was delicious. My latte was lovely and smooth and just how I like it.

I like visiting different places for coffee and cake but this is one place where I will definitely keep returning.