“Good & Disappointing”

Dobbies Garden Centres
Ranked #97 of 241 Restaurants in Ashford
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Dobbies garden centre is perfect for a family day out, with everything you need to enjoy your home and garden from flowers and plants to tools, furniture and homeware.
Reviewed 26 August 2017 via mobile

Booked for afternoon tea with 2 family members . Two of us had the cream teas , massive scones with the clotted cream etc. These were good. But the afternoon tea was very disappointing , they weren't kidding with the mini scones! Only one at that which was smaller than the pot of jam. Then on the selection of cakes a small fruit tart and a piece of shortbread, no cake at all. It would have only needed another mini scone and piece of cake to make it better. Not impressed this time,as have been before but nice friendly service though.

Dobbiescc, Customer Care at Dobbies Garden Centres, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2017

Good morning.

I am sorry that you were disappointed with the afternoon tea on this occasion. Please accept my apology for this.

We do want our customers to enjoy their visits to our Centres and if you could please email us customer.service@dobbies.com this would give us the opportunity to investigate what has gone wrong on this occasion.

Thank you.

Kind regards
Edith
Customer service.

Reviewed 25 August 2017 via mobile

I usually try to look on the bright side of things. Popped in here whilst my car was being cleaned. The first member of staff was tending a panini and didn't acknowledge my existence whatsoever. Paninis are very much like a good risotto, they need constant attention. The second staff member seemed vexed by the task of taking my order of one sandwich and then promptly handed me a flashing square with no explanation other than "when that goes off, get back here!" This added an element of the Crystal Maze that I am yet to find in any other establishment, hence the third star ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ Whilst waiting in line for coffee I was skipped my order. I patiently pointed this out to the server but was met with a blank expression. After waiting for the two people in front of me (and the one behind me!) to receive their coffees my square started flashing rapidly and vibrating at a furious rate. Locked in the moral conundrum of queuing for a coffee that I might never be able to order or leaving the queue for my food the server told me to grab my food and come back for my coffee (which I was yet to order!) Excitement set in! Where's Richard O'Brian with a sand timer when you need him? I babbled my coffee order and headed back to the sandwich station to find... No food! Where could it be? Looking for either of the two staff members I eventually located the woman who'd previously ignored me. She missed a classic panto "its behind you!" moment by pointing over my shoulder at my food that had been tucked to the side of the counter, presumably to fox potential sandwich thieves, then pointed at my vibration square, then the counter. I grabbed my grub, and headed back to the coffee station. Quick note, adding a Gladiators style "travellator" at this point would've garnered a fourth star for this review. Upon returning to the coffee man, he placed a beautiful looking latte... on someone else's tray. The fear set in, luckily he noticed his error when he set his eyes on my panicked expression and swiftly removed the coffee from the tray and handed it to me. There were a few other things to my experience today that will stay with me for the rest of my life, such as the kid on the till that would not stop repeating the word sir and needs a bit more till training, the complete darkness of the gents cubicles and the taps that wait until you've removed your hands from under them to squirt the tiniest amount of water. Seriously every time! I was there 15 minutes, doesn't matter how long you keep your hands under there the second you take them away pow! Burst of water! Overall not much to improve on. Maybe one of those tubes you stand in with the fans underneath but rather than catching money it's packets of sugar? Or 30 red briefcases but only one of them has cutlery? I'm spitballing ideas here, I'm certain Dobbies management is already working on making the whole experience more challenging.

1  Thank Joseph-Santiago
Reviewed 18 August 2017

We have been members and regulars of this garden centre since day one. Standards of the plant care outside has been falling for over a year, due to understaffing and poor management. Now the restaurant is showing falling standards. Customers stood patiently in a long queue only to be told that many items had run out. The salad garnishes were poor, staff too few and under pressure. Dobbies have always been a good place to visit, it would be a shame if it lost its appeal.

Reviewed 9 August 2017 via mobile

Called in at 1 o'clock for lunch with family. This place is very understaffed, long wait to order food just two people taking orders and preparing food as well. One person on the till so again long queue and then the task for find a clean table!
Wouldn't bother again 20 minutes and still waiting for a sandwich !

1  Thank peter f
Reviewed 9 August 2017 via mobile

Good garden centre plenty of parking. Restaurant does really good breakfast as well as lunch and cakes in the afternoon. Scones are gorgeous and could be shared as they massive. Really recommend visiting.