All reviews thatched roof lovely hotel bar menu wedding venue pretty village without exception high standard wine list sunday lunch stratford upon avon lovely room plenty of parking two night stay nothing is too much trouble evening meal car park warm welcome
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We were delighted with the standards of this hotel. Everywhere was spotless. The bedroom had modern furniture! The food was wonderful. Staff were cheerful. A thoroughly enjoyable experience. We hope to return in the Spring.

• Stayed: October 2018, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
1  Thank Climber783898
Reviewed 4 October 2018

We had Sunday lunch at the restaurant One starter was described as "Crispy egg with duck parfait". The egg was almost raw, the duck was tiny slivers of tasteless meat. One main course was roast beef - dried up leathery. Another was chicken with leek puree. There was no trace of the leek puree. On asking the waiter what happened he checked with the chef and returned with the message that it was "at the bottom of the plate". We concluded it must have been underneath the plate. An unrecognisable dish of some sort of vegetables was served with the main course. We asked the waitress what it was. She replied that it was "stuff". That about sums up our experience. An expensive disaster.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank ray c
Emma M, Manager at Best Western Plus Banbury Wroxton House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear Ray

Thank you for your review following your recent Sunday lunch at the hotel.

I'm so sorry to hear that you felt had a poor experience, we certainly don't wish our customers to leave feeling unhappy. I'm not sure if you mentioned your dissatisfaction at the time, however, if you would like to discuss this further, do please call Adrian Barsby (interim General Manager).

Reviewed 2 October 2018 via mobile

We went to the restaurant to celebrate our wedding anniversary which took place at the same venue. My husband did the booking and we were excited for a good quiet meal.
I looked forward to eating my dinner so much so that I went running for 9 miles in the mid morning to clear up some calories.
My eyes lit up when I see the little tasty morsel came from the kitchen as a tasty teaser. It was delicious. A foam of something tasty on top of bits of smoked trout pieces on top of cucumber jelly. It was so good so when the waiter asked if I like another one..do bears poo in the woods? I said?
After a triumphant tasty start..i had a mackerel starter followed by a beef fillet.
The chips are delicious and the tender stem broccoli were beautifully green.
My dessert was too big for me to finish but I had a big beef for my main.
I love this restaurant for its changing menu and tasty dishes. Try it for yourself as chef as good as this may not stay long at one place.

Stayed: October 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 October 2018

We stayed for just one night and had some of the best food I have ever had whilst staying at a hotel but unfortunately the stay was seriously let down by inexperienced and unknowledgeable staff and a total lack of signage as to how to even enter the hotel from the car park.

We parked up at the rear of the hotel and walked around the entire circumference before finding a rear entrance hidden around a corner with no signs indicating it. The receptionist gives us incorrect directions to our room and no details of the hotels facilities, check out information, breakfast times etc.

grabbing a drink in the bar we were told that we must order our dinner in the bar before being escorted through to the restaurant only when it was prepared but no one returned to take our order and we had to request menus and once again request to order at which point we were escorted through after all. The restaurant staff seemed confused by every request and knowledge of the menu was minimal requiring staff to go and ask presumably more senior staff the answers to questions. We had a great meal once it arrived but afterwards we waited for at least 15mins with no one returning with our requested bill so we had to go back through to the bar to find someone who could complete the request.

At breakfast service was incredibly slow, simple requests not completed but again the quality of the food was fantastic.

It's just incredibly frustrating that such a lovely hotel and fantastic food was let down by inexperienced or simply undertrained staff. It wasn't even just one or two members of staff but all of the staff we interacted with.

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple

Dear Jez

Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us and I'm delighted you thought the food was 'the best you have ever had', our 2AA Rosettes are testament to this, however, extremely disappointed with the lack of service you experienced.

I just wanted to let you know that over the last few weeks we have had a few new members that have joined the team, however, we do have quite a few members of staff that have been with us for many years, so I was surprised to read that you felt you were let down by all of the staff you interacted with.

I do hope that this won't deter you from staying with us again and if you do decide you would like to re-visit, do please contact me personally to arrange your stay.

Reviewed 1 October 2018

We organised a 50th birthday dinner for a friend and the hotel was outstanding. Nothing was too much trouble and we were delighted with everything. The venue. The support. The food. The service. The staff.
I could not recommend this hotel enough for a function or an event.

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled with friends

Hello Rachel

Thank you for your lovely review and personal recommendation, following your friend's 50th birthday dinner with us and we are delighted you all had an enjoyable evening.