“60th Birthday treat”

Price range: US$21 - US$39
Cuisines: British
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Description: We are an independent restaurant situated in a Georgian town house, in the Derbyshire market town of Buxton. We have 3 small dining rooms over two floors, 1 ground and 2 cellar rooms (any can be hired privately) We served fresh food cooked to order complimented by a small but world wide wine list. We also open Sunday daytime from 1130am serving our Sunday Light Bites Menu only
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We were treated very well by the staff that welcomed us and seated us. We were here to celebrate my 60th birthday.Unfortunately there was a table of 8 next to the us who were unbelievably loud! They completely ruined our evening because we couldn’t hear what we were saying to each other.! Food was absolutely awesome ! We both had the venison which was really well cooked. It was fantastic. I can’t fault the food, but I think they should seat groups downstairs, and couples upstairs. Couples like to be by themselves! Our evening was ruined by the loudmouths next to us!

1  Thank Ladylee33456
kim m, Owner at Columbine Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Thank you for your review, perhaps in an ideal world we would not small groups next to couples, but both of the groups in our cellars that night were bigger still. Whilst we are very pleased you enjoyed your meal and your comments are extremely complimentary we are sorry that someone else's evening out spoilt yours.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

WE had sunday lunch today and the food was lovely. The place is small but nicely decorated and comfortable.
There was just one waitress who was working really hard and explained why if you had to wait for something. As we have arrived 1/4 hour early we expected this anyway.
I have lamb cutlets and my husband Pork Belly for mains. The only thing I could have done without was the yorkshire pudding, which was rather hard and didn't really go with the lamb. Everything else was super with al dente vegetables. I had avocado and crab for starter which was lively and fresh, whilst my husbands mushrooms with cream, brandy and bacon was delicious. Lemon posset and apple and plumb crumble were lovely the latter served with delicoious (homemade?) ice-cream. My husband had the guest beer which was really nice and the pinot grigio by the glass was dry and clean. The bill was £68 with two drinks each which we thought was excellent for the quality of food. We are staying in the area but would definitely come again if we ever come back.

Thank you for your lovely review, we're very pleased that you enjoyed your Sunday Lunch at Columbine. Hopefully we'll have the chance to welcome you back if you're visiting the area again

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Lovely restaurant that is well run, taking an obvious pride in what they do. Lovely varied menu that made a party of seven friends very happy. Great food and generous portions. Perfect evening. Thank you very much.

Many thanks for your lovely review, wonderful comments!! We're delighted you had a perfect evening. Thank you

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

The welcome, the food and the ambience at the Columbine deserve high accolades, we thoroughly enjoyed our anniversary dinner, those shared puds, yummy...

Thank you very much for your excellent review of your visit to Columbine, all of your comments are so lovely-
Perhaps we can welcome you back on your next anniversary??

Reviewed 6 October 2018 via mobile

I was having a break in Buxton. Had an evening meal with friends midweek in Columbine. The menu had a variety of interesting options. The starters were not great - some of us had herring and some had samosas. But the mains were really delicious: we had steak, pork belly, lamb and hake. We had a sharing platter for dessert. It was a good choice as everyone got to sample all the ones they liked. We chose Chilean wine and it was good too. So an enjoyable evening. Would I go again? Maybe. But next time I am in Buxton I will try something else first.

Thank you for your review, sorry you didn't enjoy your starter choices- I wasn't aware at the time, but pleased that you had positive comments to make about your main course choices and pudding selection. Glad you had and enjoyable evening.