“Nice food and lovely service”

Upstairs at Charlotte's
Ranked #28 of 119 Restaurants in Buxton
Cuisines: British
Description: dog friendly vintage licensed cafe serving breakfast and lunch. in the previously used historic spa baths. open air Sun terrace open weather permitting .
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Very friendly staff, quick service and nice, tasty food. Definitely recommend for families or people that want a relaxed bite to eat

Reviewed 3 April 2018

We decided to go to 'Upstairs at Charlotte's' for an Easter weekend treat and had the misfortune of selecting the Afternoon Tea. Well, what a MASSIVELY expensive, overpriced MISTAKE that was. Apart from the coffee (or tea) that is included, which I can say was very nice, that was the only nice thing about the whole experience - in this case, for a STAGGERING £15 per person, this is what you get for your money (see accompanying photo): on the bottom section of the shared three tiered cake stand, you get a selection of FOUR small finger sized sandwiches EACH (the sandwich was approx 1 inch wide by 2.5 inches long), surrounded by a bit of mixed salad. The sandwiches were on a mixture of brown and white bread, all of which were dry around the edges and not that pleasant to eat, so obviously had been sat around waiting for a while. The different fillings were egg mayo, ham, cheese pickle and another meat based one (it was a brown filling, so beef maybe? Who knows). Then (don't get excited), on the middle tier you each get ONE miniature scone (approx 2 inches across), which had whipped cream in it rather than clotted cream and a bit of jam, along with ONE (again each - don't be greedy now!) 1.5 inch across what I suspect was a 'quiche' (I say this as it had some sort of brown paste filling in a pastry case), which was totally bland and tasteless. Not nice. This tier also strangely had the same mixed salad on it as the bottom tier. Anyone fancy a scone accompanied by a brown paste filled 'quiche' presented together with a bit of lettuce, chopped up tomato & onion thrown in anyone? Anyone? No, didn't think so, I don't usually have my scones with an onion dressing either. And, I wouldn't blame you really. Anyway, then most disappointingly to come, was the top tier - most generously we were given (no prizes for guessing how many per person...!) yes, ONE teeny tiny 'chocolate' eclair each, again as bland as I could imagine eating my shoe would be like, but thankfully not as chewy. Then the final piece de resistance (I am sure you can guess as the way this review is going that is said NOT in a good way), was the mini chocolate swiss roll. This was the worst item offered as part of the 'Afternoon Tea' - awful. Tasted of absolutely nothing and only what I could describe as being synthetic, cheap 'cake' - hands down the worst cake I have ever had (& I will admit I have had some cake in my lifetime ;-) Oh and I nearly forgot to mention, you get one strawberry cut in half (..yes each) on that tier. But at least, thankfully no more salad on that tier. So all in all, an absolutely awful afternoon, robbed (in every sense of the word) by partaking in Afternoon Tea at Upstairs at Charlotte's. I complained to the girl when I came to pay and she just said I will 'pass the message on'. So zero marks for customer service as well as the dreadful 'food' on offer. I see the other unlucky people who wrote their review on the same subject the same weekend we were there were at least offered a 50% reduction, not for us unfortunately and we were still subject to pay a rip off price of £15 each for a (admittedly) nice coffee, a few dried up sandwiches, an iota sized quiche and a miserly selection of awful, tasteless, cheap plasticky 'cakes'. Order the 'Afternoon Tea' at this place at your peril - unless of course you like eating your shoe.

8  Thank flash27
Reviewed 31 March 2018

Myself and my partner visited here on Wednesday this week. We found a table and a young lady came to take our order. We ordered our drinks and a vanilla scone for my partner and a savoury cheese scone for myself. We specifically told the waitress ( twice ) that we DID NOT want our scones warming up as we don't like scones warmed up. We prefer fresh scones served at room temperature. The waitress said that was not a problem. We somehow assumed your scones would be made fresh on the day and served as such and we're looking forward to them. How wrong we were!!
Our drinks and scones arrived and we're served by a Young man. My partners vanilla scone was quite hot inside and my cheese scone was very cold in the middle as if it had come out of the freezer and had been defrosted , but not enough! I told the young man we had specifically asked for the scones NOT to be warmed up. He took my partners vanilla scone away and said he would bring another one. He returned a few minutes later and presented a scone to my partner. It was very obvious that he had in fact brought back the SAME SCONE. He said nothing but I questioned him and he admitted that all he had done was put it in the fridge to cool it down. I was dumbfounded by his deceitfulness and his indifferent attitude. The young man admitting that the scones had come out of the freezer and had been defrosted. I then asked for the manager. Another young man came out of the kitchen. I asked if he was the manager. First he said " might be ". I asked him again if he was the manager to which he replied " I could be ". We left both scones and paid only for the drinks and left.
I am gobsmacked firstly that your scones are portrayed as being freshly made and served as such when in fact they are taken out of a freezer and defrosted and secondly by the deceitfulness and indifferent attitude of your staff.
A very very poor experience and we expected much more from Charlotte's.
Definitely not recommended.

7  Thank christopher g
DIANE H, Owner at Upstairs at Charlotte's, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2018

Hi Thank you for your review I wasent present on the said day you visited us . We sell hundreds of scones every week so it would be impossible to make the 6 different flavours of scones we do make them every day, maybe one batch or two depending on which we are low on . We freeze them and get a selection out every day ., it’s the only way we can accommodate our customers , some places buy them in frozen from wholesalers we make our own . On the menu it says homemade scones not freshly made , If we had made cheese and vanilla on that day when you came in they would have been warm from the oven so it would have been impossible to serve them cold I am sorry that the cheese scone wasent defrosted enough and the vanilla one wasent cold That i am responsible for and will get the staff to double check scones before they are served. I was told a different story from the three staff members involved about the service, all asked separately at different times , there account was somewhat different from the review. All I can say this was a one off ,
Looking at your 11 reviews on tripadvisor 5 reviews are poor .
In these hard times it’s very difficult for independent businesses, give us a chance and give credit for all the hundreds of satisfied customers we serve we try our very best to satisfy .
And tried our best to redeem the situation but sometimes it just isn’t good enough .

Reviewed 30 March 2018 via mobile

I booked a table for afternoon tea, as a bank holiday treat for my wife whilst the grandparents were happy to babysit for us.

We were hoping for something fancy for £30 but what we got instead was 2 small scones (already filled), when you could buy scones from the cafe twice the size. The cakes were prepacked mini rolls and eclairs. There were no homemade cakes. There was a large portion of salad on 2 tiers, looking sorry, going brown with a lot of onion to accompany the sandwiches.

When we complained we accepted 1/2 price. But our experience was very disappointing knowing that other cafes within walking distance provide much better quality and a fancy experience for the original price. The table wasn't fancy and our latte arrived with a straw.

5  Thank Scott B
DIANE H, Owner at Upstairs at Charlotte's, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2018

and sorry your experience wasent what you expected .
we have done well in excess of over 500 afternoon teas in our short time
with only one complaint yours being the second .
An afternoon tea comprises of, tiny scones finger sandwiches, and quiches plus petit fours, which yes are bought in, as we don't have an onsight pattiserie chef .
The other scones that we serve in the cafe are yes much bigger and would be out if place for afternoon tea this is why we make them specially for the afternoon teas.
The salad I do apologise for if it was not as fresh has you would have liked this is for decoration and was delivered fresh that morning .
I presume your latte was an iced latte which are customarily served with ice and a straw .
we price our afternoon teas in line with afternoon teas in the surrounding areas .
To get afternoon tea half price I would say was a bargain due to a bit of what you say brown lettuce and a straw in your iced latte .

Reviewed 30 March 2018

not obvious from the outside (need to make it clearer) another cafe at the entrance gets all the trade). this is at the back and upstairs. great service, lovely soup (with gluten free bread if you need it), dog friendly. Tea in a teapot, no teabag in the cup rubbish. really enjoyed this mid day break

Thank you for your lovely response .
inside a shopping centre and upstairs is always going to be difficult we do advertise and we are also the sister company of downstairs we offer the lunch experience
thank you again and hope you visit us again.