“First and best cream tea”

No.6 The Square Tearooms
Ranked #13 of 123 Restaurants in Buxton
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Sweet little cafe right near the lake and the pavilion. Had cream tea for the first time. The scones and clotted cream were the best we had our whole trip and the cafe is so beautifully decorated. The girls who wanted on us were amazing. The cakes look mighty fine too. A great stop.

Reviewed 6 October 2018

We always enjoy this tea room when we visit Buxton, and it has never disappointed! We had a light lunch of Welsh Rarebit - delicious - and afternoon tea with lemon cake on another visit.

Reviewed 2 October 2018

My husband and I had relatives visit Buxton, so we took them on a tour had a lovely day and when it came to stopping for lunch we thought No 6 would be a good choice as it always looks busy and it’s a very pretty cafe in a pretty part of Buxton right next to the gardens. But how very disappointing the food was very very poor my husband had a very wilted looking salad that was very gritty, I’m all for organic but don’t expect it not to have been washed properly. The portions were not even big enough for a child. The service well that was so slow after waiting three quarters of an hour for 1 small quiche 1 soup and two sandwiches I finally got up and asked where our food was and he we been forgotten about. The young woman I spoke to was very pleasant and I was told our order was coming next and about another 10mins later we finally got the food and as I said was very disappointed we at no point was asked if we wanted another drink as we had waited so long and as you pay for the food as you order there was no chance for us to pass comment about the food or the service. We could also say we were embarrassed for bringing our relatives here as I really thought it would be a nice treat. I for on will not go again or would I recommend it to any one. I might add I under stand it was busy but that no excuse for the portion size the quality of the food or the lack of an apology in any form.

Reviewed 29 September 2018 via mobile

This tearoom enjoys an enviable setting, directly across from the Pavilion Garden and the Opera and situated in a historical building. Rooms are cozy, warm, and inviting with fireplaces, pleasant artwork, and roses on tables. Everything oozes charm. We popped in for a cream tea on a chilly September Wednesday afternoon, so there was no wait and we were able to enjoy the atmosphere and linger at our table by the window. Tea was good and smooth, but no top-off hot water was provided or offered, and the scone was served cold. Strawberry jam was thin, but the clotted cream portion very generous. With just a bit of effort, this could be a first class tearoom but, as it is, it’s an average afternoon tea in an exceptionally lovely space.

Reviewed 13 September 2018 via mobile

We stumbled across this little tea room whilst showing my American cousin around buxton and it was a little gem. Very accommodating, lovely food, and friendly staff. Will Definitely go again !!

1  Thank jopicky69