“Traditional 'fine' dining”

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Great quality non gimmicky food, larger portions than expected.
Managed to get in having not booked. Staff very friendly and helpful.
Great selection of traditional french style food. It is most unusual to see frog legs and snails on the menu! Having said that we had Mushrooms in cream and garlic and the charcuterie both of which were lovely. My husband had confit duck which was delicious. I had guinea fowl, roasted, so a little dry but lovely flavour. I chose the Dauphinois potatoes instead of the Lyonnaise but they weren't the best I have had and the only disappointment with the meal. The house white wine was very good and reasonably priced. Too full for dessert. We noticed that others didn't have a starter and some people shared.

Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

Our last visit to this place did not set any bells ringing or light any lights.

Out of fairness, a return visit was planned so we could experience the “wonderful”, French food we missed on our last trip. Sadly, it was not to be, again.

The menu is an all-day affair which comprises, snacks, light meals and more formal dinner choices along with a smattering of blackboard specials.

Staff lack knowledge on menu dishes but do try to explain the special dishes. They don’t try to sell any add ons like bread, olives, etc whilst waiting for drinks and starters to arrive. What a mistake!

I ordered moules mariniere which lacked garlic and white wine and the lumps of onion rather than finely diced shallot spoilt what flavour there was and the cream, which had been added before cooking rather than after, had curdled. Fresh parsley was also conspicuous by its absence.

The other starters were also reportedly, bland, greasy, plain. A recurring theme.

Friends ordered Boeuf Bourguignon for mains which, if I recall, is incorrectly spelt on the menu and lacked the abundant rich red wine sauce for which it is commonly famed. If they can’t spell it, they can’t cook it, goes the old adage!!!

I had Wild Boar for my main course which I initially confused as a starter portion, it was so small. When I tried to eat it, it was hard to tell whether it was leather or a small off-cut of carpet. It was so dry it was almost impossible to eat and the poivre sauce was bereft of any flavour. The meat was so badly burnt underneath that it was almost charcoal.

When service staff came to clear the plates, we were asked if everything was ok - I pointed out that the wild boar left a great deal to be desired to which, all I received was a shrug of the shoulders.

On his return, the waiter informed me that Wild Boar has to be cooked very well done or it can make you ill!!

Bull***t!!!

As a classically trained French chef, with over 40 years experience - I have never heard a worse excuse!! Either that - or they are rustling the Boars off the Peaks and do not know it’s provenance!!!

If they want this place to be taken seriously as a French restaurant, maybe a better name for it would be “Masquerade”, as that is what most of its dishes do - pretend to be something they aren’t- just like the staff!!

2  Thank Timthetrainer
Jacques L, Manager at Le Brasserie de la Cour, responded to this reviewResponded 1 week ago

Could you please show me where it states there is garlic in the moules mariniere? it does not, if you like garlic in moules why not simply ask??
Wild boar is classed as pork, as a restaurant it is safer for us to cook through and not serve pink, if you would like to eat wild boar served pink then cook it at home, if you fall ill you have only got yourself to blame. as an "experienced French chef for 40+ years " you should know there are many different ways to cook and there is no WRONG way, unless your arrogant. or as Stevie wonder once sang a song, hes mister ……………………..all.

Reviewed 13 October 2018 via mobile

Popped in today for a pre-theatre bite.
We left without eating or drinking. Apparently the young, unorganised restaurant staff thought it was Ok to seat us then ignore us for 15 minutes whilst they took the food and drink orders of three other tables that arrived after we did.
As we were on a time limit we decided to leave....so we did....we went to The Lone Star Bar & Grill just around the corner....which has fab...and can't fault.
Le Brasserie needs to work on their customer service.....big time!!

Reviewed 8 October 2018 via mobile

Visited on a Saturday evening. We did book it was busy .
Beautiful authentic french food .good varied menu with specials board .
No cheese board on but made one for us on request .
Thoroughly enjoyed the relaxed dining experience.

Reviewed 6 October 2018

What a find! We loved the menu, in fact we returned the following night of our stay in Buxton. A warm welcome from the maitre d and his attentive staff added to the enjoyment of the evening, with outstanding food.