US$79
Hargate Hall(Wormhill)
  • Free Internet
Abode(Buxton)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsthe pubpeak districtwarm welcomewalking weekendtissington trailmain roadfor sunday lunchbreakfast and evening mealreal alehearty breakfastcomfortable roomslovely roomwi fia wonderful staygreat weekendcouple of nightshartington
Reviewed 18 August 2017 via mobile

Stayed overnight on a Peak District motorcycle tour. Rooms very comfortable but the welcome from Stuart the landlord will make you want to return. Not all pubs and BNBs welcome bikers but this one does. Top of the Peak and well placed for touring. Good food too and real ale. What's not to like . Give it a try, he is worthy of your patronage.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 August 2017 via mobile

I too arrived late had rang and told them they said kitchen will remain open and will cook hot or cold for Mr I too had scampi and chunky chips and peas and two points of bitter heaven
The landlord and lady plus staff brilliant dining room and bar warm large and homely beer good wine excellent home made pie wow just like my mum made the merlot brilliant portion sizes excellent great price and value
We felt part of family breakfast local bacon and sausage black pudding to die for
Rooms large quite the bed like sleeping on a cloud warm rooms very hot water bath like a swimming pool
What more can I say I will be back excellent views good base for walking looking and cycling
Mine hostsvyou did us proud expensive never I would pay more and have done and was never treated this good
Dave and Bridget

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 August 2017

Set just outside the village of Hartington on the A515 all on its own stands the Jug and Glass. We arrived late on a Friday night (having phoned to tell mein host that we would be late). From the moment we arrived, Stuart, Gwen and the girls did everything they possibly could to make everything perfect for us. After a short wait Whitby scampi and chips was served to the four of us. After a swift half, Stuart showed us to our rooms. The rooms are lovely, nice furniture and a comfy bed. None of your usual crappy chain hotel flat pack either. Nice on suite bathroom with huge fluffy towels and all spotlessly clean. After a brilliant nights sleep we had breakfast, which was as good if not better than dinner the night before. Quality ingredients and plenty of it.
After a day spent in Castleton (chaps walking, ladies shopping and lunching). We returned for a good hot bath (bath was plenty big enough for me and I am 6 foot 4) and dinner. I had a beautiful sirloin steak and all the trimmings followed by Bakewell pudding and ice cream. We then sat in the bar chatting to Stuart and Gwen. A more friendly host you will not find.
Before leaving on the Sunday we sampled their Sunday Lunch which was tasty well cooked and extremely good value.
Stuart and Gwen thank you very much, you made our weekend. We will be back.

As a post script I must add that this must be the only hotel in the Peak District that offers beautiful 360 degree views over the most beautiful part of the UK.

Room Tip: If you are going to be late then phone and tell Stuart.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 August 2017 via mobile

Drove passed this old pub for yrs ...finally called in tonight ..it was beautiful inside ...food was faultless and apint of the.local ale went down well .. my partner said , we'lll def be back ...it has 9 bedrooms B/B with it ...nxt time we 'll stay over so we can enjoy more of the hospitalities ☺☺☺

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Management response:Responded 15 August 2017

Hi There.

Thanks for coming in to The Jug and Glass and we would hope to see you again soon.
We are so pleased you enjoyed your meal.

Best wishes,

Stuart and Gwen

Reviewed 19 July 2017

I'm sure other people have had a good experience but we didn't. We turned up late and were told that they had to check the room had been 'made-up' before we could have it (it was 9.45 in the evening). Then we were shown to a room that was very cold, despite being summer. We turned the heating on to take the chill off, but there was no heat. The room was standard but unimaginative with a very narrow double bed and one of those incredibly shallow continental budget hotel style baths that save the owner hot water. The owner(?) was not at all welcoming and access to the room was via a rubbish/dumping area at the back of the pub. All this might have been okay if we had not been charged a ridiculous £120 and then discovered afterwards that was without breakfast. Breakfast was, apparently, going to be nearly £10 each in a dining room that looked cramped and unappealing, so we left early and went to a cafe in the nearest town instead. We really wish we had said no to the room, instead of being too tired, and gone elsewhere despite the late hour.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Management response:Responded 27 July 2017

Hello Lawrence,

I have read your comments and have spoken to the staff. First of all the cut off time for check in is 8pm! and you had not booked as is the normal procedure. You arrived very late and the staff did their best to accommodate you. Unfortunately my wife and i were away at the time. I have noted your comments and you are correct in assuming that your comments about the rooms are not shared by many who come here. Nor are your comments about the dining room. The site at the rear of the premises is currently under renovation. I will however address your comments about any pricing issues in relation to the room and breakfast. Also could i just add that access to the rooms are via the rear door in order that the guests do not have to access though the front if they wish to unload their car more conveniently.

Best wishes,