New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Great Staff, good room” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The George Hotel Chepstow

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chepstow
The George Hotel Chepstow
Ranked #8 of 15 Chepstow B&B and Inns
Salem, Massachusetts
“Great Staff, good room”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2012

Showed up late for checkin. Staff was sweet. Never felt rushed, even though it was so late.
Wife and I got to our room, and it was simple but nice. Not anything exciting but worth every penny.
I look forward to going back to Chepstow, and when i do I know where i will stay.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2012

After reading some of the reviews I was a bit apprehensive, however it seems as if the hotel has had a complete refurb. Rooms were clean, modern and spacious. The shower was hot and the room had a heater so you could adjust the temperature to suit. Breakfast was good however finishes at 9 if you have paid for bed and breakfast otherwise it's 12. Friday and Saturday night were quite noisy although that was expected and if you were on the top floor you couldn't hear it. Only a 5 min walk to the train station and lots of nice places to eat in the area. Overall we had a good stay and would happily go back :)

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Hannah Q
England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2011

The pub was easy to find on the main road through town with safe off road parking at the rear. I was greeted by grumpy staff on check in but was booked in to a very large spacious room on the top floor which cheered me up. This pub is very tired throughout and could do with a bit of money spending on it. The bathroom had a lot of dodgy DIY carried out in it, I couldn’t stop water pouring under the shower screen as the seal was in poor condition, even though the shower was barely a luke warm dribble. The bed was comfy and the facilities in the room were very good. I also enjoyed a good, reasonably priced evening meal in the pub. Breakfast was OK but I was served coffee in a Costa coffee cup which was definitely not Costa. £5 for a bacon butty and a coffee, I felt was expensive. But at least the staff were much more upbeat and friendly. They apologised for the noisy party that had been in the bar the previous evening but I always wear earplugs whilst away for a good night sleep and wasn’t disturbed.

Room Tip: Apparently, the rooms on the top floor are much bigger. I think mine was number 15.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Birmingham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2011

Booked it the night before. Great pics on the internet. Nice looking from outside, very historic looking. Inside was like a cheap and nasty city centre dive. The carpet had that stick to your feet feel. Staff were very pleasant and helpful. . .no complaints there. The room was dated but adequate. Do not expect modern although everything was there. Our room was the first door on the second floor. Shower head that didn't let the hot water run through it. Baths only I am afraid. The biggest gripe was that after we had paid. . . . . The staff told us that they had a DJ until 1am. Do not expect to sleep till its over. Banging doors, pissed up kids and thumping bass. Sounds a bit like an old man gripe. .I am not and it's all true. .

Room Tip: A different hotel is a good tip
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank markhatton

Travellers are raving about these Chepstow hotels

Cardiff
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2011

My partner and I stayed at the George on Friday night. The hotel was easy to find and had ample free parking around the back. I read reviews before booking a room so I was aware the accommodation was above a pub and in fairness, the staff member who took my booking warned me of the noise on weekends. We'd planned a boozy night out anyway so The George seemed ideal for us!

Staff were very welcoming on our arrival and we were told we had "the nicest room". Overall I was pleased with the room - it was very dated but it was clean and absolutely HUGE!!! The bed was massive and very comfortable. The bathroom again was old fashioned but it was clean with plenty of towels.

My main issue with this hotel was the noise! Admittedly we were warned about the noise levels till 1am because there was a live DJ and in fact we drunk at the pub downstairs still stop tap and were the last 2 people there but unfortunately the noise carried on outside the hotel directly under our windows (not double glazed so completely ineffective at keeping the noise out). A group of boys, one of which I am 99% sure was a staff member, hung around the pub doorway till 3:30am at least and did nothing but shout and scream!!! Then, as if I wasn't kept awake late enough, the pedestrian crossing outside the hotel made a continuous high pitched beeping noise from 7am till we checked out at 10am! I appreciate this is not the hotel's fault but after a sleepless night and a hangover, I couldn't wait to get out of there!!! The floorboards in the next room were horrendously squeaky too!

Personally I think 10am check out time is too early - especially on weekends and I would have liked to have been given the option to have a later check out. We missed breakfast so can't comment on that.

Another slight issue I had was with the lady bouncer! She herded us from place to place to smoke and when I told her we were residents she didn't believe us! She approached a very drunk staff member (the very staff member who kept me awake till 3:30am), come back over to us and said "according to him you're not staying here!" I was about to show her our keys but he come over and reassured her we were residents!!!

Overall the hotel is okay! It's clean, very welcoming and excellent value for money, but for me the lack of sleep totally ruined my stay. My partner said he would definitely stay there again but he could sleep through Hurricane Katrina!!!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the hotel!
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple