1,500 results
All reviews golf course zest restaurant lakeside village main building leisure facilities trophy bar play golf steam room pro shop manor house driving range golf break round of golf beautiful grounds public areas friends wedding lovely setting
Reviewed 26 September 2017

I am not a fan of golf resort hotels. They have a certain atmosphere - "bit blokey". So I had lowish expectations for this stay. I work near Cardiff and have been aware of the hotel for a while. On this occasion, I needed to overnight just off the M4, and rates here were under £100 b&b - making it not much more than a motel.

It justifies the premium. The old building is pretty, and the reception area is very luxurious. It steps down a notch for the rooms, but they were in standard Marriott format and condition. It is definitely worth detouring a few minutes over the options closer to the motorway.

Good points:
- breakfast was very good, with eggs cooked to order, and plenty of options
- food in the Zest restaurant was good quality
- staff were warm

Improve
- prices were a bit high in the restaurants. You are captive... They add service and then ask for a gratuity which is a pet peeve anywhere and very unusual in Wales.
- the stairway from reception to the newer block rooms is very grotty, with a dirty carpet. A bad impression as you move from reception to your room. It does improve again.

I imagine that their staple business is meetings, wedding and golf weekends. It is a bit blokey (lots of huge beer glasses around) and golf orientated (various parking spaces are reserved for the captains etc). However, I would happily stay again. The midweek rates are very reasonable for everything on offer

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 September 2017 via mobile

I spent one night here with family to celebrate an anniversary. The hotel is a little way from Chepstow's town centre and so would not be convenient for those without cars. The upside of this is a relatively peaceful location so long as you can avoid packs of men in fancy dress talking and laughing loudly. Generally, we were not affected by this.

The main buildings are historic and therefore the rooms come with the charms and downsides of single glazed windows, creaky floorboards and poor sound insulation. The decoration also looks like something from the set of a 1970s soap opera. Someone here loves mustard. All that aside, though, the rooms are clean, well furnished and comfortable. The bed and pillows were great. The temperature seemed a bit too hot. It felt like the heating was on, which was unnecessary.

I loved the breakfast. There was a good choice. I also thoroughly enjoyed using the leisure facilities. The swimming pool and Jacuzzi were great fun. All in all, we had a pleasant stay.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 September 2017

Our 2 night stay here started well as we were upgraded to a Lakeside room which was away from the main hotel. The room itself was quiet and comfortable and we had a patio area overlooking the lake and golf course. We were grateful for being able to park outside our room as the hotel was very busy and there was no space in the main car park. We booked for dinner in Zest both nights as Morgans was fully booked on the Friday. Dinner the first night was enjoyable with good service.
Friday morning things started to go downhill. We waited some time to be seated for breakfast as all the staff in the restaurant seemed to disappear, a common feature in the hotel's restaurants it turned out. That evening Zest was busy including one large and particularly noisy group but this was not a major issue as we were seated at the opposite end of the restaurant. The service was non-existent. After waiting 20 minutes to place an order we had to attract the attention of a member of staff. I should point out that we were not hidden away in the corner but just a few paces from the waiter's station. The meals arrived after about 30 mins but we considered this acceptable. Food was okay although my steak had a large piece of fat and gristle that had not been trimmed. It was clear that the staff were struggling and someone from the Trophy Bar was brought in to help. After a short time he seemed to be the only member of staff left in the restaurant who was doing any work. After we had finished our meal we waited 30 minutes for our plates to be cleared at which point I tried to find a member of staff. As there did not appear to be anyone around I went to reception to speak to a manager. In reception and the small lounge area there was a group of 20-30 drunk men, one attempting to play the piano whilst a few others were singing/shouting at the top of their voices. On approaching the desk one receptionist was trying to take a phone call with one finger stuck in his ear and a woman trying to check in had to shout at the other receptionist in order to make herself heard. Frankly, had that been me I would have been on the phone trying to find somewhere else to stay. I spoke to the manager on duty who promised to investigate, although I don't have much faith that he did. After all, he did not ask the loud group to quieten things down even though we were finding it very difficult to have a conversation and his reception staff could not do their job properly. I'm sure many of the diners in Morgans would have been able to hear them too.
We were compensated for the inconvenience but we shall not be staying here again.
To end on a positive note I would like to thank Kirsty on reception for her helpfulness and efficiency, she is a credit to the hotel which is more than can be said for a large number of their staff.

Room Tip: Lakeside rooms away from main building
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gadabouts95
James M, Front Office Manager at St. Pierre Marriott Hotel & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2017

Thank you for the review of your recent visit to Marriott St Pierre, it is disappointing to learn that certain aspects of your stay certainly fell below the standard of experience we would expect to deliver. Please accept sincere apologies and I will be investigating, in detail, all of your valuable feedback to ensure this type of experience is not repeated. I can assure you the relevant improvements will be made moving forward and I hope to have an opportunity to restore your faith in St Pierre in the near future.

Reviewed 24 September 2017 via mobile

Visited as couples for golf tour. The hotel was over run by men on golf tour. There were 5 ladies in the dining room amongst over 100 rowdy men. The noise level was so loud we had to be moved so as we could hear. Food very sub standard for 4 * hotel. Had to pre order for the evening meal. Beds were too small although very clean. Breakfast good. Old course is the best by far. Don't expect anything from the half way hut if you tee off at lunchtime, service very bad and only had crisps/chocolate available.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank leacha1
MarriottStPierre, Customer Care at St. Pierre Marriott Hotel & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2017

Thank you for your recent review. We were delighted that you enjoyed your golf with us on the championship Old Course. I was however concerned to read of the disturbance you experienced by other guests and that you felt let down by the standard of food served to you. Please be assured that all your feedback will be taken on board to ensure that improvements are put into place promptly and permanently.
We do hope that we will be able to welcome you back to St Pierre again before too long.

Reviewed 24 September 2017

Each year a group of us escape for a short golf break, this year we chose a four day break to St Pierre, unfortunately it fails to deliver as a Hotel and the golf leaves a lot to be desired. The staff however where excellent and cannot be faulted the problem seems to be with the way the venue is managed. The hotel is tired, the new rooms are very noisy making with paper thin walls and ceilings making a good nights sleep difficult. The food was ok but again nothing to get excited about. The bar prices are a little expensive as these types of hotel tend to be, but keep off the gin !! £10.00 for a gin and tonic. The hotel is geared up for conferences and meetings with the golf taking second place.
The golf course is tired and kept open when it should be closed due to wet conditions. This is by far the worst Championship golf course we have played. There were a number of large golf groups playing and the course seemed to under pressure to open regardless of the green conditions. One large group with Brume accents were very rowdy and behaved as though on a rugby tour with no consideration to others.

Sorry St Pierre you'll not see us again.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Craig738

Thank you for your feedback following your recent golf break with us. We are delighted that the team here looked after you, however were most concerned to read of your other feedback. Please do be assured that all guest feedback is taken on board and that improvements will be made promptly, where possible, to ensure guest satisfaction.
We hope to be able to welcome you back to St Pierre so that you may experience first hand the improvements made.