4,197 results
All reviews evening entertainment overlooking the harbour bar prices excellent value for money bit dated canterbury
Reviewed 11 November 2015

i spent a couple of hours inthe Restaurant with friends and family for a pre booked dinner. we parked in the Burstin car park,and did not notice any Parking Signs,we went to reception to let them know we had arrived for a dinner reservation,nothing was mentioned about parking charges.Some weeks later i received a parking fine,i went to thr Hotel,and was told not to worry they will tell the Manager,and he will get it cancelled,i gave all the details and thought that was the end of that. but, i continued to receive letters from Parking Eye,and again went to the Hotel,who then gave me an address to write to,and they gave me a copy of the reservation to send to them,which i did,with a copy of a bank statement showing a payment made to The Burstin for that date.However it was not accepted,so i began writing to the Hotel,but no reply,i must have sent 6 emails and phone calls,but did not receive a reply to any of them....In the following February i received another demand for payment as the evidence i supplied was not enough ,so i sent it all again with covering note by email.....i ddid not receive a reply and thought that was the end of it....But in July/August 2015......which was a year later,i received out of the blue a demand for £150 from Parking Eye as i did not pay the original fine,and had to pay or go to court,as i have not had trouble like this before,i decided to try once more to get a response from Britania Hotels, i emailed several times to different Hotels in the chain in the hope someone would listen and help...I received no replies,except one to what i thought was Head office, it was a recorded nmessage saying `your email has been received and will receive attention` or words to that affect.....i have never had a responce from anyone to this day,so i paid the £150 as it worried me a great deal.I am an 83 year old widow,and can ill afford these outragious charges for under 2 hours parking in their restaurant/hotel car park in 2014..

Stayed: December 2014
2  Thank js6632
Reviewed 10 November 2015 via mobile

Stayed for four nights on a half board basis.Stayed in one of the premier rooms on the fifth floor.Found room had been updated.clean and comfortable.Found the seating in the lounge had been replaced since our last visit this January,several people having difficulties with getting up.Varied choice of food to eat in the victorian restaurant well worth it to upgrade.
Found it very noisy overnight with the pub on the corner was playing loud music until the early hours
Fish stalls at the harbour now only open at the weekends and the small gift shop was closed
Quite a few coach parties staying.
Please the old girl needs upgrading and a paint up looking tacky.

Stayed: November 2015, travelled with family
3  Thank froggie14
Reviewed 10 November 2015

We have been staying as a family at the Burstin for about 8 years. We left Folkestone to live and work in Switzerland in 1979 and still consider it as home! The Burstin has to take a "lot of stick", especially from the locals, but our stays have always been well enjoyed, in spite of the lifts and fire alarms! However, we arrived in early October this year and were horrified to find the hotel populated on all floors with dozens of african and middle eastern young male migrants. They lounged around the hotel all day long, going up and down the stairs and in the lifts. We had eventually to complain about the disgusting body odour smell on our corridor. This was attended to. I just cannot understand that a holiday hotel can afford to make their guests feel that they are are in a refugee camp. Before we come again we will check up that this is not a permanent situation. I shudder to think waht this is costing the taxpayers in the UK. Our thanks are due to Anil Kumar the Restaurant Manager and James the Team Leader at Reception together with their staff for their patience, good humour and understanding.

Room Tip: Afford yourselves a Premier Room on the Harbour side.
  • Stayed: October 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 November 2015 via mobile

I'd booked a couple of nights during half term (w/c 26-Oct) with family (girls are 9&11). Well-used to Britannia properties and in my opinion they provide solid value, usually in faded grandeur; plentiful, if basic, food; and at the seaside properties evening entertainment. However, for about 2 weeks prior to our visit the reports were mentioning the migrants and more importantly, the uneasy atmosphere. I chickened out and decided to cancel. Unfortunately this couldn't be done online and I had to use Britannia's premium rate phone number. (For the first 10mins I was paying to listen to music.) Initially my cancellation was refused as I had booked an advance purchase rate. The operator denied any issues at the hotel and stuck to the Ts&Cs. However, on escalating, a manager quickly agreed to refund "as it was half term". I took this as tacit admittance that the atmosphere down there at that time was as per reports and not suitable for two young girls. So well done Britannia in the end, though it's a pity the operators on the premium rate number aren't empowered to sort things out. I will be back at other Britannia properties and maybe even the Burstin one day..

Stayed: October 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 November 2015

We stayed to catch an early Dover ferry the next day. Lots of coach party tour passengers. Entertainment laid on in the ballroom (and bingo to boot). Fantastic room on the 5th floor with a balcony; views over the harbour to Dover beyond. France would be clearly visible on a slightly clearer day. They do what they do at a keen price and a maintain a reasonable standard.

Room Tip: Rooms that overlook the harbour (the higher up the better) with a balcony.
  • Stayed: November 2015, travelled as a couple