“If you value service...”

Papa J's Indian Tapas Restaurant Bar Luton
Ranked #9 of 358 Restaurants in Luton
Price range: US$13 - US$26
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I've visited this place on two other occasion, although service was questionable, I ignored this as I understand the difficulties management face with staffing currently. I have involvement in the catering industry myself. I usually give a tip to encourage staff moral (not my job, I know) as service is generally lacking in most venues of this size .

Ok this occasion, I found myself frustrated with the following:

- Waited 10 minutes for drink order
- Food order was taken 20 minutes after drink.
- Food arrived at least 30 minute after order
- Food arrived cold.
- part of order was missing.
- plate was dirty (pic to prove this)

I could not flag a waiter down no matter how hard I tried, eventually had to go to the bar and request management intervention.

Manger did remedy situation with food however my evening was spoilt due to the delay in service. My partner was midway through her meal before my food was warmed and served.

I don't need nor did I request a discount on the food but with the acknowledgment from management of the obvious poor standard, I would have expected some gesture of goodwill - lol my expectation were too high!

We human beings are simple creatures, Sometimes a good experience in a restaurant can make bad food palatable but good food can taste bad if the whole experience was negative.

It's now 8 AM (morning after) My stomach isn't feeling great!

As a side note, the restaurant was fairly busy on this occasion.

Reviewed 27 September 2018

I went to eat at Papa J's a few months ago with my family, inlcuding two young children. We had reserved a table but it we still had to wait an hour before we could be served. The starters were quite nice, especially the wings and chilli paneer. Would not recommend the mains but all the staff including the manager except one young lady were not good. They took half an hour to bring out water, we ended up leaving very late at night and we do not live in Luton so this was an inconvenience. If you're wondering why I'm wriitng a review a few months later, it's because the restaurant TOOK DOWN my previous review that was very fairly written and nothing but the truth including compliments to the starters. Will not go back again.

Reviewed 8 September 2018 via mobile

Great find large restaurant great menu with so many dishes to choose from
Very quick service with food and drinks
Also lots of special dishes to try as tapas style
Definitely would recommend

RBHIKHA, General Manager at Papa J's Indian Tapas Restaurant Bar Luton, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2018

Dear Duncan,

Thank you very much for taking time to write a review about our service and food.

Glad to hear that you had a wonderful experience and thanks for recommending our food and service.

We look forward to welcome you again.

Kind Regards,
PapaJ’s Team

Reviewed 27 August 2018 via mobile

We had a large group of family and friends at Papa Js on Saturday. Food was excellent as it always is and the service was impeccable. They really looked after us well. Thank you very much to the entire team.

RBHIKHA, General Manager at Papa J's Indian Tapas Restaurant Bar Luton, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2018

Dear Alkesh,

We look forward to welcome you again.

Kind Regards,
PapaJ’s Team

Reviewed 22 August 2018 via mobile

Went here for my first time for a friends birthday last night & I’d heard good things about it so was expecting a nice evening. Turned out to be the poorest service I’ve ever come across, having to chase several times for our drinks to be given to begin with...main courses after waiting almost 2 hours the chicken (which was dry) came & then waited a further half an hour for the rice & naan bread! The staff including manager barely offered an apology & took some arguing to get a small amount taken off the bill. I am now today suffering with stomach cramps etc from the poor quality of the food that we eventually received! Would not go back here or recommend to anyone based on this experience - unacceptable.

3  Thank danturner619