“Lovely food, excellent value, friendly staff”

Hare and Hounds Hotel
Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in Newbury
Newbury
“Lovely food, excellent value, friendly staff”
Reviewed 23 January 2012

This is a restaurant review. We went to The Hare for Sunday lunch on 22nd January and, as usual, the welcome was warm, the staff friendly and the food excellent. My husband and I chose the market roast of the day, which was pork, tender and melting. My stepdaughter and her boyfriend opted for the Good Old Boy steak pie and the famous fish pie respectively. Both were delicious, so much so that they happily swapped meals half way through so that they could sample both! In spite of a party of ten due in at any moment, the staff remained unflappable and attentive without being overly obtrusive, which is just the way it should be. The Hare is consistently good, supplying excellent food at a reasonable price - we really enjoyed our lunch and can unreservedly recommend the restaurant.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Freemans Bay, Auckland
Reviewed 9 January 2012

We stayed at the Hare & Hounds Hotel over Christmas 2011 whilst visiting my partner's family who live locally.
From start to finish, the staff and management treated us like royalty. Nothing was too much trouble and the atmosphere is warm and fun with the staff full of smiles and banter (exactly what you expect from an old English inn but don't always get!). The pub itself has an excellent range of beverages and a fantastic menu which did not disappoint. Our room was spacious, clean and very relaxing to be in. Comfy bed, great bathroom and excellent tea/coffee/biscuit supplies which were regularly topped up! The room is nicely furnished and there was plenty of space for our copious luggage. Heaps of free parking and the Hare of Hounds is a pleasant 15 minute walk from Newbury township and only a 10 minute walk to the local supermarket.
We will definitely be staying here again and have been passing on our positive feedback to local friends. Thank you so much to Jonathan, Mel and the team!

Room Tip: We stayed in a room in the building at the back of the pub but feel that all rooms would be of equal...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 27 November 2011

Lovely old pub - great atmosphere and comfortable. Staff were very welcoming and even did us some chips despite the kitchen being closed - we'd got stuck in traffic on the way. Rooms a good size and I slept very well. Bathrooms snug and water pressure isn't good but then the pub is 250 years old!! It's excellent value for money and breakfast was fresh and lots of it. Would definitely stay again - much nicer than the other places we've stayed at in Newbury. Is perfectly placed for the racecourse as well - recommended.

Room Tip: The rooms outside are like having your private place - great.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
riojaman1, Owner at Hare and Hounds Hotel, responded to this review, 23 February 2012
Hi
Sincere thanks for taking the time to leave your lovely comments. Glad the chips went down well and we look forward to welcoming you back!
Jonathan, Jean and all at The Hare & Hounds
Los Angeles
Reviewed 28 October 2011

I did a review on here based on the first stay myself and my family did in December 2006. I grew in Cardiff but live in Los Angeles now. My brother and mother still live in Cardiff and so I come over every year or so. I stay at the H&H because I can't do the drive from Heathrow to Cardiff after a transatlantic trip without falling asleep.

My last stay at H&H was at the end of September, 2011. Must have been my fifth stay and I am sure the owner has no idea who I am or how much I love his B&B.

In short, this place was great once more. Comfy bed, quiet, an apology for sticking me in a small room (the stable) because they were busy. But how much room does one need ? Dinner was great. I had the curry. Then the owner came and gave me the desert menu. he had a weird look on his face when I said no desert, "..... but I'll have another of what I just ate because it was so good.".

Breakfast was also fantastic. Tasty, not slathered in grease, lots of tea.

I'll make every effort to stay in this place. Next time, I'm bringing my wife and daughter and we'll explore the local area for a night or two.

Room Tip: Book well ahead of time because they fill up fast.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank gimills
the wirral
Reviewed 19 October 2011

our weekend in newbury got off to a good start first impresion of the inn was a lovely cozy place with freindly staff , unfortunatly old inn old water system , no water to our shower . Problem solved with in half an hour moved to another room , lovely. These things happen. We can only give claire and her staff ten out of ten for the way they looked after us , people should always take into acount the age of some of these hotels , b n bs , inns and just how much they are paying for a nights bed and breakfast, Hare and hound newbury . Good place , good staff , good food , happy days

• Stayed October 2011
hareandhounds, Owner at Hare and Hounds Hotel, responded to this review, 4 November 2011
Many thanks, Our dear Olde Inn is over 250 years old, but in the main copes well in competition with the big chains, and particularly so on the service and food side.
Most of her little wobbles are quickly solved and I personally am very proud of how Our Inn and Our hard working Staff keep the heritage of the Hare and Hounds with pride
Jonathan