“Couple of Hits, and a big big miss!”

Holiday Inn Express Slough
Ranked #9 of 21 Hotels in Slough
Ilkley, United Kingdom
“Couple of Hits, and a big big miss!”
Reviewed 15 February 2012

Stayed at Hotel for one night on business on 14/2/12, and was hardly the Valentine's night to remember. My company always puts us up in this hotel group, but had 2 nights before in a Crone Plaza, which I knew was in a different league from an Express.

The bad points - THE FOOD. Garlic Mushroom for starters (very good), but then ruined by a Mixed Grill where I ordered Medium Rare Steak. Steak was cooked rare (no problem with that), but so were the sausages, which were uncooked in the middle, Also the "grilled" tomato was so hard, it was like having an orange in your mouth. It tasted, cold, rock hard and smellt disgusting. This was the first meal I have ever sent back in 10 years. The receptionist was very apologetic and the chef recooked it, but it came back with the steak overdone, and 2 new sausages also totally raw in the middle. How a chef cannot take the time to check food after a complaint amazes me.

The following morning we had the Express scrambled egg and sausage feast. I went down at 6-50 for breakfast, and the scrambled eggs were like cardboard already! All hard, lumpy and indeible. Still, the sausages were cooked! HI Express advertises "sausages or bacon" with your eggs, but I have never seen bacon at any Express I have stayed at as cheap sausages are so much more economical.

Good points. Reception staff were excellent in dealing with this, and I was not charged for anything. Was asked to give email address to Gm so she could email me about it, which shows that their customer care is good overall. Room was very comfortable and no reailway noise in my room, despite being 20 yards from the track.

I would go back, but it would take a lot to make me eat there again!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
LauraEggleton, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Slough, responded to this review, 17 February 2012
Thank you for sharing your feedback on Tripadvisor, we value your feedback.
I was naturally extremely concerned regarding your comments relating to the evening meal (no doubt you have now seen my email that was sent directly to you regarding this).
I was pleased to learn that my team were able to resolve your concerns and provide you with a complimentary meal replacement to compensate for the mistake made in the kitchen. Of course, we don't always get things right however we do always try to make up for mistakes when made.
With reference to the Express breakfast offering, we are following the brand standards for Express hotels and provide the same offering as the rest of the Express portfolio in the UK&I. It is not a standard anymore to provide Bacon- this was removed and replaced with baked beans a while back so you will not find Bacon in any Express properties in the UK&I going forward.
As per my email, please come and see us again soon to allow us to illustrate our usual high standards of service that our guests expect and deserve.

Many Thanks

Laura Eggleton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
North Lincs, UK
Reviewed 15 February 2012

I have stayed here a few times for business and have decided not to in the future. The issue of only having about 30 spaces for a hotel with in excess of 100 rooms is ridiculous. I have had to park twice (with permission) in disabled spaces as the choice of driving to the rail station is a painful one with extra cost and is extremely inconvenient. H.I. made a mistake building it like this...

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
Thank you for sharing your comments on Tripadvisor, we value your feedback.
It is with great regret that due to our parking resrtrictions, you will not consider staying with us again. As we are located in a residential, built up area there is simply not the space for a large car park. Planning permission was granted on the provision that hotel users would make use of the railway station car park adjacent to the hotel. Unfortunately, as the car park does not belong to the hotel, I have no say on what parking charges are applied to our guests who make use of the car park. I do appreciate it is frustrating the hotel offer free car parking- however this is limited and those who arrive later are unable to park for free.
I really do hope you will reconsider your future stays in Slough and come and stay with us again.

Once again, we value your feedback.

Kind Regards,

Rockledge, Florida
Reviewed 14 February 2012

Last year, I booked a pair of rooms at an advance purchase rate for a one night stay in July 2012 - overnight lodging prior to our cruise out of Southampton. We opted for the advance purchase rate as it was the only thing affordable due to the price-gouging going on at this hotel as well as elsewhere during the Olympics (noting that this advance purchase rate is 3 times the nightly rate just two weeks earlier). Last week we learned that one of the children had a mandatory school-related activity that required us to reschedule our holiday altogether, which ended up becoming a holiday within the U.S. instead. I e-mailed the hotel and explained our predicament, assuming that they would be sensitive to our issue and quite able to back-fill our absence with other patrons, especially since we gave the hotel over five and one-half months' advance notice of travel change.
Sadly, I received a cold e-mail reply from the hotel's Deputy General Manager this week, who offered no refund, no recommendation of alternatives, or any other offer of service or support. The hotel gleefully has now pocketed 300 British pounds of our money with no services delivered whatsoever. This smacks of a management team that has one priority: to maximize their personal bonuses at the expense of their clients. So to those of you who are looking into this hotel, my advice is: look elsewhere. This hotel is willing to hang their patrons out to dry with no sensitivity whatsoever. Go somewhere else where they truly care about their customers.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
7 Thank JCMinFlorida
With reference to your comments, I would just like the confirm the terms that the reservation was made on. Advance purchase rate does clearly state that bookings cannot be cancelled or amended without full charges being applied. I appreciate that the cheaper rates always look more attractive, however we would always recommend using the best flexible rate (that allows cancelling the reservation up until 4pm on the day of arrival) if plans are likely to change. This policy is adopted throughout all IHG branded properties who offer the advance purchase rate. In order for us to remain consistent with the brand and each individual who make use of this popular rate offering, we are unable to issue refunds.
I can fully appreciate your frustration with this situation however I can assure you we are following procedure and are unable to override this in exchange for removal of negative Tripadvisor postings.

Kind Regards,

Laura Eggleton

Travellers are raving about these Slough hotels

Bath
Reviewed 12 February 2012

Stayed a Friday night on a business trip. No problem with parking. Room was a good size and was clean and comfortable. Bed was double. Good bathroom.
Reception staff were excellent, and cheerful throughout. We enjoyed a good buffet breakfast, with filter coffee and some hot food (sausages, scrambled egg, beans).
Hotel is next to the Railway Station, but didn't hear any train noise. The bus station is nearby if you wanted to catch a bus to say Windsor.
The hotel offers hot food and has a bar area. We opted for a ten minute walk into town ...not a lot of choice there but we ate at Pizza Express... which was fine (check their webiste for a voucher).
Happy to use this hotel again.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank mendiprambler
Dongara, Australia
Reviewed 11 February 2012

I had stayed here on my last trip to the UK so felt conformtable booking again even though the hotel had changed hands. Was able to get a car park on both days I was there. Room was very comfortable and plenty of room. Restaurant was good although meals more your standard pub meals not a la carte meals. Very family orientated. Service station across the road sells all types of necessities, but need to watch the traffic on a busy road. Would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Slough
1.5 km away
3.6 km away
Heathrow/Windsor Marriott Hotel
4.3 km away
Holiday Inn Express Windsor

Been to Holiday Inn Express Slough? Share your experiences!