“Nice food, so so staff, ok environment”
Review of Cowper Arms

Cowper Arms
Cuisines: British, Pub
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: A friendly, welcoming pub in the heart of Digswell. Located right next to Welwyn North train station, offering a range of drinks including McMullen's ales and a selection of wines. And fresh homemade food from our new menu and ever changing specials list - (with roasts on Sundays).
Reviewed 28 August 2018

The food was good quality, I think the kitchen team have got it right. It was let down by the waiting staff that was just a bit rubbish.

I had to go hunting for a steak knife myself, had beer spilt on my arm and I had to negotiate my way from a table in the bar to the restaurant area despite booking the restaurant area. It was just a bit too much hassle. Staff were nice though.

1  Thank John W
Dan V, Guest Relations Manager at Cowper Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2018

Hi John

Thank you for leaving a review.

I'm glad that you enjoyed the food but sorry to hear that the service wasn't up to the same standard.

We aim to always be attentive to the needs of our guests and I'm disappointed that you had to go hunting for a steak knife and did not have the spilt beer cleaned up. We will train to improve standards for next time so that our food and service are both up to the same standard.

Reviewed 23 August 2018 via mobile

We often pop in on a Sunday en famille, but managed an uninterrupted meal tonight without the kids! Everything was great. Food is great, service from the whole team is great and everything is clean and smart but comfy and relaxed at the same time! This is one of our favourites!

Dan V, Guest Relations Manager at Cowper Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2018

Hi

Thanks for visiting and for sharing your kind words.

It's always pleasing to hear nice things from a customer who keeps coming back and I hope that we will see you again soon.

Reviewed 19 August 2018 via mobile

Sunday lunch used to be good here. Today, over cooked chicken & pork with undercooked, non-crispy odd tasting potatoes. French waiter avoided dealing with our complaint, as he watched us settle our bill. Having eaten there many times over eighteen years, will not return.

1  Thank Samkerrydeacon

Hi

I fear this may have been a case of mistaken identity, as there is no French waiter currently at the Cowper Arms.

I hope this is not us, as we strive to always offer the highest standards of food and service that we can. We have also not changed the roast dinner recipes or preparation in a long time, except to change the beef to a better cut of meat. If it is the Cowper Arms then I offer my sincere apologies that on this occasion we have fallen short of your expectations and as always we will continue to look at how we can always improve our food and service.

I hope that if you have been eating hear for eighteen years, you will see this one bad experience as a blip in an otherwise high quality standard of service and change your mind so that we have a chance to leave you with a happier impression of us.

Reviewed 13 August 2018 via mobile

Wow what a meal, amazing. Can’t believe we haven’t been here before. You will see my r view are based on value for money, plus service etc. This cowper arms is 5 out of 5. Please note, oddly; there are two “Cowper Arms” within a few miles of each other!! Who would believe it.

There is a great menu, good specials. Pretty much everything is homemade; portions were good and it was packed on a Tuesday! That’s a good sign. Nice outside seating too. Staff were very friendly and a good range of beers (real ales too) and drinks.

We had the pork ribs (to die for, slow cooked); lasagna; and pie. All were outstanding. Chips lovely; as were veg, and half portions if you don’t want a huge amount or for kids. I mean this is brilliant.

We will be going back plenty. The other Cowper Arms is ok, but not as good for food. Decor has an edge at that one.

Dan V, Guest Relations Manager at Cowper Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2018

Hi

Thanks for visiting and for sharing your kind words.

I'm pleased that you enjoyed your first visit to the Cowper so much. It's nice to know that our homemade menu and specials are noticed and appreciated.

I look forward to seeing you again soon

Reviewed 5 August 2018 via mobile

Came in with my husband and was immediately greeted and took to our table by Chloe whom was great and was able to carry a conversation creating a friendly vibe as well as addressing our needs. We also was served by Sophie whom again was chatty and helpful. The food was cooked perfectly and to a high standard (highly recommend the pork and mackerel pate). Chloe also informed us of The white horse during a conversation about the other pubs the establishment owns which we will be visiting in the near future. All in all great service, food and atmosphere.

Hi Lisa

Thanks for visiting and for leaving a review.

I'm glad that you enjoyed the food here at the Cowper Arms and that you were well looked after by Chloe and Sophie. I have passed on your kind words to them, and they send their thanks.

I look forward to seeing you again soon