“Lovely Breakfast”

Cote Brasserie - Welwyn Garden City
Price range: US$20 - US$39
Description: Our inspiration for the food and design of Cote is a modern interpretation of the many famous bistros of Paris. Inspired by new trends, we are dedicated to serving authentic classic brasserie dishes with a modern twist, using high quality produce at great prices.
Reviewed 13 August 2018

I have been here before for dinner both as a couple and as a foursome and on all occasions have found it to be a pleasant place to eat although I have in the past begrudgingly paid the added on service charge of 12.5%.

We arrived at 9.15 and the waitress invited us to take a choice of any seat which is a much more pleasant start than "You will sit there!" Off to a good start then.

We both ordered Americano and foolishly I had not read the menu properly as I had not seen the fact that we could have had a cafitiere. As it happened the coffee was not too bad but the cups could have been bigger. Why not "breakfast" cups for people that are having breakfast. The cups that are used are designed for after dinner - surely a cup of coffee with breakfast needs to be appreciably bigger than a post dinner cup. Still, we can but hope! The coffee arrived in double quick time and it was nice to be asked whether we wanted hot or cold milk. We also asked for some hot water which came in the same jugs as the milk and were of a decent size. Full marks to the waitress who noticed that the milk in my coffee had curdled and promptly exchanged it for a fresh cup with fresh milk. She remarked that it was a new bottle of milk and was puzzled as to how it got to that state. Left in the sun maybe?

We ordered French Breakfast and Eggs Royale from the Breakfast menu. These both arrived in a reasonable amount of time. My wife was a bit puzzled as to what the Boudin Noir in the French Breakfast was - I had guessed that it might be a French take on Black Pudding - and after the waitress explained what it was ie Black Pudding with apple "a la francais" my wife decided that she would pass on it. I did try it and I must say that it tasted much nicer than English Black Pudding which I have tried on a few occasions in the past but now "pass" when it is available. You could certainly taste the apple in the Boudin Noir! The waitress suggested that in future the Boudin Noir could be substituted with an extra mushroom or something else which we will bear in mind for the future.

Note to Cote management - it might be an idea to expalin on the menu what Boudin Noir is to those who don't speak fluent french. I speak passable french but have never come acros this item before.

The Eggs Royale were nice and only note was that the hollandaise sauce was slightly "strong". A personal preference maybe.

All in all it was a very nice experience and we will definitely return for breakfast - remembering to order the cafitiere and avoid the Boudin Noir. It will be nice to be able to avoid the dreadful ubiquitous Americano and have a cafitiere instead. French restaurant = French Coffee n'est ce pas?

A much nicer dining experience that its competitor Bills which is less than 100 yards away!

On this occasion as the waitress provided such excellent service, I didn't mind paying the 12.5% service charge. Isn't that how it should be rather than 12.5% flatly added on?

1  Thank AlecB2011

Reviewed 11 August 2018

This place is a lovely hidden gem in Hatfield.

Food: For starter i had calamari. In my opinion, it was the best I have ever had.Presentation was neat. It had a great balance between batter and squid. Butter was full of taste. For main, I had steak. It was the minute steak. It had a great tang to it but it was very filling. The chips were not to salty. Score:9/ 10

Hygiene: Everything on the table was spotless. Toilets were clean. Score:9/10

Service: Excellent! The staff were friendly and very patient. They all knew the exact details of each dish. Brilliant! Score: 10/10

It was easy to decide. I'm definitely coming back! Score: 28/30

1  Thank Emily L
Reviewed 8 August 2018 via mobile

This is the second time my husband and I had been for breakfast at cotes.. and it was as good as the first, which was superb...The staff are very efficient and extremely friendly, and the food is wonderful..I had the French toast and fruit which was sublime..would definitely recommend..we have booked to go for dinner soon, I'm sure it will be just as good.

Reviewed 7 August 2018

Been here several times now, great service, great food, good ambiance and excellent value for money. We try to come here at least every couple of months cause we know we will never be disappointed.

Reviewed 2 August 2018

A return to Cote after a previously disastrous lunch visit that saw us leave without ordering, having seen diners waiting and ourselves being ignored after we were seated. Greeted and seated with menus at 12.40, the meal progressed at a correct pace. Drinks arrived as ordered and our first course of crab mayonnaise and calamari was excellent. The restaurant had over 60 diners this lunchtime which is maybe half full or a little more. The staff of a manager four people serving and a girl carrying the food from kitchen to table to be served by a waiter, were definitely working hard to keep up. Our waitress although obviously stretched remained pleasant and cheerful. Well done her ! Main courses of steak and frites, cod goujons and frites were both hot and delicious, although the cod goujons - or maybe the crumb coating - lacked seasoning. We were done and gone in a few minutes over the hour, which is perhaps awkward if you are working and only have an hour for lunch. Overall a pleasant lunch but this branch does not compare well to say, St Albans Cote, which seems to run quite flawlessly even when full.