“Venue great, meal not to expectations sorry.”

String of Horses Restaurant and Bar
Ranked #64 of 321 Restaurants in Carlisle
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 20 February 2020

Positives - Excellent atmosphere in traditional local Pub with roaring Log Fire, friendly, professional staff who made you feel welcome from the start.
Didn't experience bedrooms but had a previous tour and seemed very Cosy.
Not so positive - went here with great expectations but unfortunately we were let down by the food.
We were impressed by the honesty of staff when challenged about pate' which I was really looking forward to as 'home made' pate' but which was actually bought in and to be fair they gave me it on the house. Black pudding and Haggis was deep fried and full of fat. The Gammon meal was OK but overall the menu was overpriced for what was provided. Presentation was not great by the chef. I had a family meal at a Pub just around the corner from SoH and the contrast was obvious for presentation, quality and price. The new owners need to up their game if they want to attract new and consistent customers. I have been brutally honest with my review and hope the owners take on board my comments as they have the potential to be a much better Business. I wish them well and may visit in the future to hopefully provide a more positive review.

Date of visit: January 2020
Write a reviewReviews (104)

Reviewed 16 December 2019

Only using the restaurant to celebrate a family birthday. We were looking forward to the visit after not being there for a number of years.

We ordered our meals but were disappointed with the size of the portions.

I ordered extra chips to go with my meal but they were used to top up the meals of the men folk as there wasn’t many on their plates, though there weren’t many in the extra portion either and I queried how much I was paying for them. I mentioned about the size of the chips on their plates and The waitress said she would get some more and find out how much the chips were but never came back with the answer but came back with extra chips to make up the other plates, of which we were charged for as well.

The steak pie my son ordered arrived and was black burnt on the top. I told him to send it back but he said he would eat it.
The Cumberland sausage ordered looked well done too with a hard skin and must be cooked by dropping it in the fryer

If you like a decent size portion of food I would suggest you maybe give it a miss. We were rather disappointed and were trying to give a local business a try but doubt we will be back for a good while.
We would have been better going a bit further out and going to the Auctioneer.

Date of visit: December 2019
1  Thank margaret julie m
Reviewed 10 December 2019 via mobile

We enjoyed our meal and the friendly staff !! Couldn’t fault any thing food was excellent and good vegetarian / fish options !

Date of visit: December 2019
Reviewed 10 November 2019 via mobile

We have just had two days in the String of Horses coaching Inn at Faugh just 20 minute drive from Carlilse. We booked this 18months ago and due to illness have been unable to take the break until now and many thanks to Colin the proprietor who has kindly worked with us to visit. We had a standard room No. 7 which had a shower and was so warm and cozy and had everything you could want. It was spotless! We overlooked the garden at the back and it was really quiet and you could see the two pigmy pigs in their garden. We ate there both nights and the food is superb and plenty of it. The main point that makes this Inn special is the service from the friendly team and Colin is around all the time too which is great. It also has three log fires and a lovely lounge area. If you want comfort and relaxation go on treat yourself. Thanks Colin for a fab time eventually! We will be back x

Date of visit: November 2019
Reviewed 3 November 2019 via mobile

Arranged a family night out and get together and picked The string of horses based on its reviews, there was six in our party and we were not disappointed. The parking is excellent, all our rooms were very well presented, we had a king sized bed that was extremely comfortable. Colin is such a hard working man and his strive to deliver excellence is obvious, it’s a beautiful quaint place with welcoming open fires, the thing that sets it apart from all the rest is definitely the food, it’s such a high standard. I had steak and followed the chef recommendation on how it should be cooked and it was devine, the staff are all attentive and eager to please, nothing was too much trouble ( 3 fussy eaters)
The breakfast was of the same standard with good quality ingredients and a good choice too, this will be our first of many visits
Well done String of horses for such an enjoyable visit.

Date of visit: November 2019