“Yew Should Give It A Try...”
Review of Yew Tree

Yew Tree
Ranked #118 of 531 Restaurants in Colchester
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 6 April 2018

We revisited because we thought that this place had an off night before, and we were right. A lovely old thatched and beamed building with plenty of space. We sat by the welcoming fire in easy chairs at the front of the pub area - at the rear is a restaurant area with plenty of seating. As before, we were well served by Kelsey and Carla, and had a friendly chat with Paul and Eugene who were running the show. Indeed, the service was excellent. This was a midweek visit, and I think a little less manic than our previous trip, so we were rewarded with a better experience. The food was very good - we both elected to go for steaks. Mrs Hobo finds it very difficult to turn down a dessert, particularly after a couple of glasses of wine and was pleased with her salted caramel sundae. An extensive menu with various deals, we'll definitely return if you'll have us.

Customerservice6271, Public Relations Manager at Yew Tree, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2018

Thank you for your kind comments and we are glad that you decided to revisit! We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 4 April 2018

We go to the Yew Tree quite frequently. I'll admit, before it was taken over it had gone down hill a bit, so we were pleasantly surprised at how much it has improved. I have read a few comments from other customers who did not enjoy the experience and can only assume they were just unlucky, as we have always found both the food and the staff very friendly.

The landlord Paul (as well as his team) is always very cheerful, helpful and accommodating. I don't always like trip adviser to be honest, as it seems people only really come on here to have a moan about places. However, as I have had such a good experience with this pub, I have to say how much I enjoy coming here. A recent Sunday lunch for my family at Easter was wonderful, with the most attentive and friendly staff. So thank you to Paul and the team for making it such a special day.

Customerservice6271, Guest Relations Manager at Yew Tree, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2018

Dear Ali,

Thank you for the taking the time to place your review of us. I will pass your review on to the whole team, who will very much appreciate your kind comments. The team here at the Yew Tree, do endeavour to offer the best service, food and experience they can.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 4 April 2018

As a group of six friends and former colleagues, we met here for lunch and agreed it was a good choice. There was a wide range of dishes on the menu, all at a reasonable price. The food arrived piping hot and everyone was pleased with their choices. Bryan and Sue were great hosts too.

Dear Fliss,
Thank you for your lovely review, it is always great to hear that we have hit the mark with our guests. I will pass your review onto Bryan and Sue, who I know will appreciate your comments. We hope we see you again soon to try out our new menu.

Reviewed 3 April 2018

Stopped here with my partner and our daughter for Sunday lunch. My partner and i had not eaten out for a while so thought, hey its on the way home may as well give it a go. Worst mistake ever. We both came down seriously ill from the food and spent the next week in what can only be described as a living hell! In and out of hospital, on fluids, unable to eat or sleep for days on end. I have only just recovered and my partner is still very ill. I can 100% attribute the illness to this establishment! Luckily my 20 month old daughter was unaffected, she did not eat any of their food! otherwise i would have began legal action.

There must be a lack of hand washing and food hygiene in this establishment along with insufficient management practices and policies!

After speaking with colleges and friends this is not the first time someone has been seriously ill after visiting this restaurant.

AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE

2  Thank richardtoulson
Customerservice6271, General Manager at Yew Tree, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2018

Dear Mr Toulson,

Thank you for your review, and we are very very sorry to hear what has happened.
We are obviously very concerned about your statement as Food Safety and Health and Hygiene are of paramount importance to us.
In this connection therefore we would ask you to contact ON 01206 273450, OR E-MAIL : 6271@greeneking .co.uk in order that we may open a direct dialogue with you.

Yours sincerely

Eugene Paul McGivern

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

3rd time going to yew tree, we booked table for my wife myself and 2 little girls... Sat down at table drinks ordered straight away then we ordered food. Service was brilliant and we were looked after by Toby..

Customerservice6271, Guest Relations Manager at Yew Tree, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2018

Dear Kerry,

Thank you for for your review. I will ensure to pass on your kind words to Toby, who as one of our new team members, will appreciate your comments.