See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 18 December 2016 via mobile

I went with my in laws for lunch at the Hare and Hounds. The pub has changed a lot over the years and and looked very festive. The two fire places were beautifully decorated.
I ordered the pate for starters, the lamb shank for mains and the chocolate and orange sponge for dessert.
All of the staff are friendly, we weren't rushed with our food, even though it was busy.
The food was delicious, the lamb shank dropped off the bone and the chocolate and orange sponge was to die for. Three of us ordered the lamb and the chocolate and orange sponge. I was in a group of nine with a vegetarian amongst the group.
All the vegetarian food is cooked separately with vegetable gravy. Some of us asked for slight variations. I asked for custard instead of ice cream. Another asked for cheese and biscuits, and one just wanted bread for a starter. Everyone 's wishes were accommodated.
The menu varies from week to week but there is so much choice you are spoilt. All for the bargain price of £15.95.
This was the best Sunday lunch I've had in any pub in Essex since moving back in 2008.
We all will be back as my relatives live very close. I would advise to book early to avoid disappointment. No wonder they have won awards. The food is top notch.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled with family
3  Thank Xanlyn
Reviewed 5 July 2016

My partner and I were "greeted" by Kerrie the owner, who was rather cold and unfriendly towards us upon our arrival which pretty much ruined the stay.

The bedroom was a converted outbuilding - it had seen better days with scratches on table (conveniently hidden by a drinks tray) and lightbulbs that needed replacing. The wall mounted tv bracket was so loose it couldn't be positioned to view the tv screen from the bed and the remote control for the tv needed new batteries. The shower was awful; with temperature control extremely temperamental it went from freezing cold to scalding hot. The "views" from the room were onto the shingle car park - hardly stunning!

The food reviews said it was great food but was quite boring - the Specials consisted of "Beer Battered Cod n chips, Home-made beef lasagne and Beef madras with rice" - hardly anything special! It didn't fill me with great confidence seeing a job vacancy for a Sous/Chef in the entrance foyer of the pub.

Asking for a double whisky at the bar was greeted with a "huff" and look of disdain from Kerrie - even when I pointed out politely that she was about to serve me with the wrong whisky from the top shelf.

As for the bar staff and the waitresses, they were fantastic. They really worked hard and deserved all the credit for keeping the place running.

Room Tip: Read the reviews before staying here - there are mixed reviews
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
charleebob, Owner at The Hare and Hounds, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2016

Good morning
My name is Kerry king I am the landlady of the Hare and Hounds.
When you visited us I was actually on holiday so it was not me that greeted you, I wish it had been as you would definitely have got a better reception than the one you received. I can only apologise for your reception and in fact your whole experience with us!
The reason for the sign sous chef is because we have got so busy lately we are recruiting more staff.
I have had a serious word with the staff member that greeted you and can assure you it will not happen again!
Out of curiosity why did you think she was me?
Did you let the staff know you was not happy?
If so what did they do to make it better?
Again I am sorry you had a bad experience, but thank you for you for your feed back.
Kind regards Kerry

Reviewed 21 May 2016

My husband and I got married on the 9th April. We held our reception at The Hare and Hounds surrounded by our family and friends and we both had the most perfect evening and this was in no small part thanks to Kerry, Mark and their fabulous team. The planning and execution of our event was flawless from start to finish. Both Kerry and Mark were on hand whenever necessary when planning, be it in person or via email, to answer questions and help with ideas. Kerry was a creative godsend and was so enthusiastic about my concept and helping make my vintage vision come to fruition. The buffet was exquisite and had high praise indeed from the various gourmands in our party. The Hare and Hounds is not only a lovely, warm venue in picturesque surroundings but is run by two of loveliest, warmest people. Thank you both so much for making our special day that bit more special! Hannah and Ben

Room Tip: These lodges are both very quiet as they are situated slightly away for the pub itself
  • Stayed: April 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank 123hannahk321
Reviewed 18 February 2016

We arrived on the 12th Feb 2016 for a booked meal and were greeted by Jessica who looked after us extremely well. The bar was friendly, always with good beer and the restaurant was well themed for Valentines Day. The meal was outstanding, I had a blue fillet steak and it was world class. Well done to the team, the service, the atmosphere and the food was just excellent. Nick Clarke

Stayed: February 2016
Reviewed 23 October 2015 via mobile

Went to this pub tonight to have an evening with my in laws. There were four of us

My first concern was the condition of the men's room. Damaged plaster, tile falling off the wall and dirty floors.

We then sat down and a nice friendly waitress came around to take our drink order. She came back with the drinks and took our food order. We ordered two chicken and dumplings stews, a rib eye steak and a lamb chop.

We waited an hour for our food (7:15-8:15) which we felt was excessive. That being said the waitress did come over and apologise and said the food would be out shortly.

When the food came out it was a bit disappointing in appearance. The chicken and dumpling stews were nondescript masses of brown goo with chunks of white meat spread throughout. There was no evidence of dumplings nor any discernible vegetables at all. Nothing came along side this bowl of stew. The steak did not appear to be the ten ounce size quoted on the menu and it was a bit tough and the side of vegetables with it was very skimpy. The lamb chop my mother in law had was reported to be tasty but again the side of vegetables was again very small

When the waitress asked how the food was my Mother in law told her the truth and to her credit she removed the chicken stews from the bill and asked several times if she could do anything to rectify the issue we had. She did say she felt it looked suspect when she brought it to the table

I do want to say the staff was very pleasant and they did whatever they could to rectify the problems but sadly the food was really not fit for consumption on two counts and only barely edible on the third.

I would suggest trying to get back the previous chef who my in laws reported was both excellent and cared about what was put on a plate

Stayed: October 2015, travelled with family