See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 18 February 2016

We arrived on the 12th Feb 2016 for a booked meal and were greeted by Jessica who looked after us extremely well. The bar was friendly, always with good beer and the restaurant was well themed for Valentines Day. The meal was outstanding, I had a blue fillet steak and it was world class. Well done to the team, the service, the atmosphere and the food was just excellent. Nick Clarke

Date of stay: February 2016
Reviewed 23 October 2015 via mobile

Went to this pub tonight to have an evening with my in laws. There were four of us

My first concern was the condition of the men's room. Damaged plaster, tile falling off the wall and dirty floors.

We then sat down and a nice friendly waitress came around to take our drink order. She came back with the drinks and took our food order. We ordered two chicken and dumplings stews, a rib eye steak and a lamb chop.

We waited an hour for our food (7:15-8:15) which we felt was excessive. That being said the waitress did come over and apologise and said the food would be out shortly.

When the food came out it was a bit disappointing in appearance. The chicken and dumpling stews were nondescript masses of brown goo with chunks of white meat spread throughout. There was no evidence of dumplings nor any discernible vegetables at all. Nothing came along side this bowl of stew. The steak did not appear to be the ten ounce size quoted on the menu and it was a bit tough and the side of vegetables with it was very skimpy. The lamb chop my mother in law had was reported to be tasty but again the side of vegetables was again very small

When the waitress asked how the food was my Mother in law told her the truth and to her credit she removed the chicken stews from the bill and asked several times if she could do anything to rectify the issue we had. She did say she felt it looked suspect when she brought it to the table

I do want to say the staff was very pleasant and they did whatever they could to rectify the problems but sadly the food was really not fit for consumption on two counts and only barely edible on the third.

I would suggest trying to get back the previous chef who my in laws reported was both excellent and cared about what was put on a plate

Date of stay: October 2015
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 10 February 2015

After having read the reviews was expecting great food but in actuality it was quite bland. Apart from that nice pub, lovely setting, good atmosphere and definitely worth a visit. Had the sausages and mash which can be very good but the reviews led me to expect more, u
Unfortunately in our case the food was rather unexceptional.

Date of stay: February 2015
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 January 2015

Summary

Wonderful atmosphere
Excellent food,
Excellent service
Great value for money.

We went to the Hare and Hounds for a meal to celebrate my son’s birthday. There were 11 of us and I was extremely impressed. The atmosphere and style of the pub was lovely, the waitress was very attentive without being overbearing and we felt completely relaxed.

We ordered starters and a main meal. The starters came out quickly and were very good. The main order, which included 5 steaks all came out at the same time, were piping hot and all cooked as requested.

All in all an excellent meal and well worth the drive there. We just wish it was our local. I highly recommend this pub for a lovely meal and friendly atmosphere.

Date of stay: January 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 16 November 2014

Stayed here last weekend , room had seen better days with regards to scratches on table and paintwork behind the table falling off. TV didn't work and the room smelt incredibly damp all stay which needs to get rectified. The shower was abysmal, no pressure whatsoever and the temperature control extremely temperamental, went from freezing cold to scalding hot however then without touching it went back to freezing cold in a few seconds. I braved it , my partner chose to skip the shower and have one once we got home. Did mention it but was just passed off with ' we only recently had the showers done' you'd think if that was the case they would have been tested them. In the morning got a knock on the door all very abruptly by a young girl asking when we are going to be out of our room! Felt like we were getting pushed out which was not good at all. Breakfast was ok, toast and tea, but no one around to say goodbye when we left.

In summary, avoid staying there , go elsewhere you'll get more for the price.

Date of stay: November 2014
Trip type: Travelled as a couple