All reviews officers mess air force world war royal canadian lots of history small museum air base interesting hotel towel rail coach tour bit dated no lift buffet breakfast plenty of hot water the ground floor good nights sleep beef
Reviewed 8 October 2017 via mobile

My daughter and I stayed at this hotel whilst on a National Holidays Coach trip. When driving up to it the first impression was not good but we could not fault the staff or facilities in our room. We where greeted very warmly and the young man working there, sorry we did not get your name was entertaining and very good at his job. The evening meal was basic but adequate. Breakfast was on the poor side but they did have good quality tea bags! The water in our room was very hot and the beds very comfortable. The little museum with the hotel was fascinating and I enjoyed the fact that we where staying in an ex officers mess. I would be very happy to visit again!

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
K R, General Manager at St George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2017

Thank you for your review I will pass on your remarks to yhr staff and hopefully we will see you again soon

Reviewed 5 October 2017

The hotel is opposite Tees Valley Airport, a surprisingly quiet location as it turned out; I think most of the planes that take off from here are of the tiny, private variety. The hotel staff were lovely and as helpful as they possibly could be, especially the manager, Kim. Our room was clean and comfortable with all the amenities needed for an overnight stay. Whilst you wouldn't “write home” about the food, it was plain and tasty (though the bacon at breakfast would have benefited from a little more cooking time). These trips are excellent value for money but you will always get the odd person who has Champagne expectations from a beer budget.

I agree with previous comments about there being no lift at the hotel; if you think this will be a problem for you, ask for a ground floor room. The hotel is isolated so not ideal if you want to spend the night in a local pub - there’s nothing close by.

Not sure this is the right place to mention this but the National coach driver managed to upset or insult most of his passengers. I don’t think this is the norm but I’m glad this wasn’t my first experience of National because, if it had been, it would have been my last. There are ways of saying the same thing - one way will get results the other will rub people up the wrong way. His way was the latter; he was bad tempered and unnecessarily rude.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends

Thank you for your kind comments I am pleased you had a nice stay Unfortunately the coach driver seems to have put a bit of a damper on your day but I am pleased we made your stay with us enjoyable

Reviewed 3 October 2017

Just returned from a weekend National Holiday trip to Durham and York. Stayed overnight at St. Georges. Roast Pork self service dinner was lovely, as was the breakfast! The hotel is a bit dated but was great for us!

Stayed: September 2017

Thank you for your lovely review I hope we will see you again soon

Reviewed 2 October 2017

We have just returned from a super stay at the st george hotel. It was a truly unique experience. The staff couldn't have been friendlier,they were really hard working and nothing was too much trouble. Our room was very clean and peaceful due to the location. The food was first class. The only thing my husband was a bit miffed about was that there wasn't draught beer in the bar!

Room Tip: Twin beds are more roomier than a double bed room
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple

Hi Joan
Thank you for your kind review I am pleased you both had a nice time I hope the selection of bottled beers made up for no draught for your husband Hopefully we will see you in the near future

Reviewed 2 October 2017

We stayed last Saturday night as part of a National Holidays 2-day break to Durham and York. I travelled as part of a group of 4 ladies. My room (29) was a clean, spacious twin with everything you need for an overnight stay. Hotel staff were all extremely helpful and friendly and the food was well-cooked and plentiful. There is no lift so be prepared to carry bags upstairs although there are only 2 floors, so not too difficult. One of my friends has a heart problem but the hotel manager carried her bag upstairs for her. He couldn't have been more helpful.
The only sour note to the weekend was our coach driver, who was surly and unpleasant. He told us the wrong time to load our bags onto the coach on Sunday morning so we all got up an hour earlier than needed but was then very rude to my friend when we queried this. Despite his attitude I think everyone enjoyed their holiday.

Room Tip: If you have walking difficulties ask for a ground floor room.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends

Hi Pabil
Thank you for your review I am pleased the 4 of you had a good time and the coach driver did not spoil things for you Please come and see us again when you are next in the area