Lowest prices for your stay
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
PremierInn.com
US$44
View deal
ZenHotels.com
StayForLong
1,121 results
All reviews one way system car park first floor costa coffee air con meal deal regent theatre busy road central location good nights sleep per night ipswich town centre disabled room excellent value for money room was clean and comfortable comfortable stay night's sleep
Selected filters
Reviewed 26 January 2020

I chose this one for an overnight stay, whilst meeting up with friends in the area. I find Premier Inns are more consistent than other lower cost hotels, so was comfortable paying a bit more than the cheaper alternatives.

It’s not the easiest hotel to find. It’s on a two-lane one way system with a bit of an excursion if you miss it (as I did). However it’s in one of the more interesting parts of town and minutes from the quay for a nice walk and take in the fresh air.

The hotel reception is on the first floor with the restaurant. Check in was efficient and friendly. Access to the resident corridors required the room key; reassuring as it is possible for anyone off the street to reach any floor without going by reception. I went for a disabled room as I was expecting a wheelchair bound friend to join me (who didn’t in the end).

Rooms are of a reasonable size and practical. Tea and coffee facilities are always welcome. A largish TV and desk is provided, where you could connect a laptop to the TV if you so wish. Bed was king size and the mattress comfortable. In other words the standard I’ve come to expect from the chain.

I feel it’s worthwhile mentioning some minor issues I had, none of which would be showstoppers for future visits. The biggest one was mobile phone reception (carrier reception, no so much wifi). I couldn’t get any service in the room unless I was near a window, and then it was, at best, flakey. This is a major concern because when I’m away I need to be contactable. Free wifi was available, although it was fairly lousy. You certainly couldn’t stream Netflix with it, and it was barely able to download a few emails, although I was able to send messages no problem.

The room was booked for two people, but there were only towels for one (and insufficient pillows by my preference). No issue in my case, but presumably reception would have been able to sort this. My room was on the first floor. The area around the hotel is quite busy with two-lane one way roads carrying lots of traffic. Insulation was excellent, but I did open the window to see what the noise was like, and I would have found it too loud. Thankfully air conditioning was available, although the control panel doesn’t have a backlight and it was difficult to read the icons to get it working.

Bathroom was ok with grab rails for disabled needs. Disabled rooms either have shower-only wet rooms or low level bath. Basic towels are provided but a flannel is not. For soap and shampoo it seems to be a generic, no-nonsense dispenser for either shower or sink. Shower was ok, with large controls suited to those with low dexterity. The bathroom had one emergency cord with a reset controller. This is well placed for the shower and toilet, although two may have been better as the sink area was a bit out of reach.

I usually don’t pre-pay for breakfast as there’s no particular advantage in doing so. The breakfast room is not massive but there is plenty of comfortable seating including some lounger chairs. The servery and buffet area was very small though and I can imagine gets quite busy at busier times. I was quite disappointed with the selection. Everything seems to be nearly out, and opted for poached eggs to get something fresh. In the time it took, they replaced some of the items but only in very small batches. I don’t blame them for avoiding waste, but this kind of breakfast is always a bit less warm than I’d like. I was able to get a healthy starter; fruits of the forrest with greek yoghurt. A real treat as that’s my usual breakfast and I wasn’t expecting it here. Bread wise, whilst there looked like a bit of a selection, most items were out or nearly out. Hot drinks are via a machine and of a reasonable standard. I found the breakfast overall quite sufficient and at £9.50 of reasonable value.

I have stayed at a few Premier Inns in Ipswich (there are many). This one is the best PI for downtown, and parking charges were ok. Phone reception is an issue and could be for others, particularly if you need good internet and were hoping to you your phone data and not the weak free wifi. On checkout I mentioned the phone reception and was told the higher level rooms are far better.

If you’re looking for a central location without lashing out premium prices for your stay, I’d wholeheartedly recommend this property. It has most of what you could want, with the standard that most Premier Inns maintain. Just request a room on a higher floor if phone reception is an issue.

Room tip: It's nestled around high rise buildings. Aim for higher floor if the height isn't an issue
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 26 January 2020

Although only staying one night we made the most of it.
On arrival received a welcoming greeting and we were soon settled in our room on the 4th floor which was upto normal standard.
There is parking below the hotel for £4 per night which we thought was very reasonable. Spaces are limited but there is also an overflow across the road.
Its only a short walk into the town centre where we spent the afternoon before returning for evening meal.
The menu selection was varied, quality was excellent and good value.
We had a very good nights sleep and were surprised on looking out of the window to see lots of traffic which we had not heard at all.
Breakfast again was good.
Staff at all times were friendly and helpful.
Hotel is just across the road from the Quayside and it is well looking around.
Sadly we had to move on to another venue but we will definitely be returning.

Reviewed 17 January 2020

• Trip type: Travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with premierinn.com
WhitbreadHotels, Guest Relations at Premier Inn Ipswich Town Centre (Quayside) hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2020

Reviewed 11 January 2020

Excellent value for money, very good meal deal, comfotable bed and very helpful staff, can't fault it. Previous experience in Banbury and Gatwick North meant we booked Premier again and will doubtless do so in the future.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple