1,543 results
All reviews copper bath sail loft marina room the penthouse salt house sister hotel scallops lovely hotel in bury st edmunds suffolk breakfast car park front facing breakfast in bed afternoon tea boutique hotel huge bed small balcony
Reviewed 6 September 2010

We stayed in a loft sail room on a special champagne deal. Although the food is not michelin quality it is perfectly adequate and the restaurant, hotel and rooms more than make up for it. The room opened out onto the marina and this was most pleasant and we will certainly be going back

Date of stay: August 2010
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 August 2010

I travel to Ipswich too frequently on business. The Salthouse is the clear winner out of all the hotels that I've stayed in. Rooms are immaculately clean, modern and have a general feel of quality (things like the bathroom fittings and showers). The restaurant is good enough to compete without the hotel's clientele. Good choice for breakfast with everything being freshly prepared or cooked. Staff are friendly, unobtrusive and helpful.Tellingly, there's staff continuity - the night porter has worked there since I can remember and the lady serves the breakfast has been there for a similar time.

The only problem is parking. There aren't enough spaces for the number of rooms. Valet parking isn't the solution. Parking problems are however to be expected given that the hotel is in a choice location, with the marina at the front and the town behind.

All in all, it's a superb hotel. It's a benchmark for any hotel in the UK;

• Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 11 August 2010

I recently stayed at this hotel for one night.
The room was dark and had one or two ugly columns. The whole feeling of the room was that it needed refurbishing.
It was noisy from the outside and I was unable to sleep with the window open.
There was also a constant humming noise coming from inside too which was not made any easier by not being able to have the windows open. There is a pub/restaurant next door and also a generator or something.
Breakfast was awful, pancakes like leather. Fruit salad not fresh but straight out of the fridge.
No, I would not return to this hotel and was glad to leave.

• Trip type: Travelled solo
4  Thank Sallychristine
Reviewed 9 August 2010

My first visit to Ipswich was made exceptional by the hotel. The staff were all courteous and helpful and food very good. Will stay again when visiting Ipswich.

Date of stay: August 2010
Reviewed 6 August 2010

I stayed at this hotel with my family in July, as we were going to a family wedding in Ipswich. The hotel was in a stunning location and we had fab views overlooking the harbour. The rooms were really well decorated and the beds were very comfy. The rooms were also big and had everything that we needed apart from air conditioning (note to owner, the rooms get very very hot at night).
What stood out at this hotel, however, was the friendly service of the staff.
Nothing was too much trouble for them from when we arrived to when we left. My husband is allergic to feathers so when we phoned reception late on the Friday evening to ask for a change of pillows, the pillows arrived with a smile within minutes.
Unfortunately my stepdaughter fell ill while we were there and had to stay at the hotel instead of coming to the wedding with us. The staff looked after her above and beyond the call of duty and for this I am very grateful.
The food in the hotel was of a good standard and so all in all I would say that we had a very pleasant stay.

• Trip type: Travelled with family