“Excellent Christmas Break!!”

Salthouse Harbour Hotel
Ranked #1 of 18 Hotels in Ipswich
Reviewed 29 December 2012

It was my visit to this hotel staying from 24th Dec - 27th Dec and all I can say... EXCELLENT....the STAFF are superb, so friendly. My room was spotless and the view over the Marina wonderful. I ate all my meals in the hotel and the food was EXCELLENT. Steak, Venison, Monkfish all cooked to perfection. No, I'm not easily pleased in fact I'm over critical when it comes to hotels and eating out but found the Salthouse Harbour ticked all my boxes!! Thank goodness it did as my Christmas would have been ruined........I will be returning asap!

I found this hotel by chance (Hotels for Pets) as I had to take my small dog (£5 per day for pooches) with me and thoroughly enjoyed our walks around the harbour plus only 5mins from the Town Centre. Much regeneration has been carried out in this area with small shops and bistros to add to the enjoyment. Summer months I'm sure must be chaotic in this area so I will be saving the Salthouse for Winter!!

Room Tip: Rooms with view over the Marina.....wonderful
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (1,430)

Reviewed 28 December 2012

Ok for a £90 room
Unfortunately we had to send both our main courses back
The fillet steak (the most expensive item on the menu) was inedible and full of fat. The replacement was embarrassingly small and not particularly tender either.
The liver was cold and raw. The waitress intimated that this was correct way to serve it!
To add insult to injury a 10% gratuity was added to the bill.
Had to ask twice for a drink and the tables at dinner & breakfast were wobbly!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 December 2012

This hotel is fabulous! The staff are wonderful. Always pleasant, polite and happy to be working there. In all my travels around the UK I have never come across a hotel of this size where the staff cant do enough for you to make your stay enjoyable. The hotel is in a wonderful location and is completely different from run of the mill chain hotels. The decor and lighting is amazing and the restaurant offers a wide and varied choice to suit all tastes but stays away from the usual "Scampi/chips, Burger/Chips type meals. There are also many bars/restaurants close by in the town, but to honest....why would you need the others? Brilliant! We will definitely be back.

Room Tip: The front facing Salthouse rooms have a brilliant view of the harbour which is right outside the fro...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 December 2012

Stayed here last week for a business meeting, I've previously visited for pleasure. The location is great, love the quirky decorations and can't fault the room, last time we had a room with a copper bath, this time I had a less swish room, but still great. Unfortunately the service at breakfast was really slow. The tables weren't cleared and it took 30 minutes for the food to arrive. When it did come, it was well presented and tasty, but by then I was late for my meeting and couldn't appreciate it. I do hope that this was a temporary problem, because the rest of the stay was very good.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed 7 December 2012

We were a table of seven pre-booked for late afternoon on 24th November. Very much ooking forward to it as had heard good reports.

Arrived about 15 minutes before the booking to be told to find a seat in the foyer whilst we await our table. We all had to find a seperate seat on seperate tables to have a drink whilst we wait.

The staff came out to take our food order prior to being seated at our table.

Eventually we were shown to our table where our starters were served. Nice flavour and no complaints other then four of us that ordered the same mackeral starter were of completely varying sizes. One hardly had any mackeral at all.

The main courses arrived and that is wheen the disppointment began. Three of us ordered plaice. Beautiful flavour but absolutely stone cold - not even warm in the middle. We were not asked at any point throughout our meal if everything was ok or if we needed anything else.

When the waitress came to collect our plates, we mentioned very politely that the plaice was cold but it was simply shrugged off.

Deserts followed "Hot sticky pudding" - stone cold!! Not even warm!

The bill arrived with a 10% service charge automatically applied. We paid and left quietly. But to be honest I am now kicking myself for paying this service charge that amounted to well over £20, when we had absolutely no service whatsoever!!

Room Tip: Do not use the restaurant. Lots of lovely restaurants in walking distance i.e Arlingtons is excelle...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ipswich
1.4 km away
30 km away
The Mill Hotel
The Mill Hotel
#1 of 2 in Sudbury

Been to Salthouse Harbour Hotel? Share your experiences!