“Great for a special treat!”

Salthouse Harbour Hotel
Ranked #1 of 18 Hotels in Ipswich
Reviewed 6 April 2012

Stayed for one night only as a special treat for my mother. The hotel is modern and spotless. Staff very friendly and helpful, even helping us with a print out of directions to Lavenham for our journey home! The one-way system can be irritating but we didn't have any difficulty in finding the hotel.
Meals at the hotel were very good. There was a good selection on the menu, including some local specialities. The only downside to our trip was that we found Ipswich Town somewhat scruffy which was a disappointment.

Room Tip: Hotel location ecellent, overlooking the harbour but check that your room overlooks the harbour when...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
LynnCowan, Manager at Salthouse Harbour Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2012

Thank you for your kind review of the Salthouse.

I hope we can welcome you back soon,

Kind regards

Write a ReviewReviews (1,430)

Reviewed 4 April 2012

As I write this, I'm sat in my room at the Salthouse Harbour, using the free wifi. Is this cheating? Submitting a review before my stay has finished? I've been here before and not reviewed the place, so I think its time I did.

I think this is my fourth or fifth time here and it has never disappointed. I guess that stands to reason, because if it did then I wouldn't have returned and I wouldn't be writing this to tell you that it is one of my firm favourites. I'm here on business, so the company is paying, but the cost of the hotel is within scope and falls in line with (or cheaper than) the likes of Holiday Inn or Hilton. Yet the Salthouse Harbour delivers so much more than either of the aforementioned.

The hotel itself, so the room guide tells me, was an old Victorian warehouse that was converted into a hotel in 2003. The rooms are fairly large (even the standard ones) and are nicely decorated. The one I am sat in at the moment has one exposed brick wall and has two vintage-look leather chairs, indian-style furniture and a large flat screen TV. Extra touches include bottled Hildon water and nice tea and coffee making facilities. Oh, and the free Wifi.

Public areas are quirkily designer decorated. I've previously eaten in the restaurant and found the food to be pretty good. I'm looking forward to the breakfast tomorrow (included in the room rate) as this is always a highlight of the stay, a well cooked full english breakfast.

The staff are great. Always freindly and helpful. Check-in tonight took a few minutes and was done efficiently and without fuss.

Location-wise, its pretty cool too. Right on the water's edge over looking the harbour, with plenty of bars and restaurants in the vicinity, if you fancy stretching your legs. The car park gets a bit full, but you can leave your keys at reception and they will park your car for you and then make sure its available for you the next morning.

I know this probably reads like a fake review written by one of the hotel staff, but it's not. I can't fault the place. Like I mentioned earlier, I'm on business and on a what I consider a pretty good mid-week deal, which the company is paying. I'm just glad I have a customer up the road which gives me an excuse to continue to come back here regularly.

And you know what? if I ever get the chance to visit the area with my wife, I'd love to bring her here. and I'd happily pay the weekend asking price to stay in this wonderful hotel.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business

Thank you for a fantastic review!

I am pleased to read that you enjoy all the Salthouse has to offer.

I hope we can welcome you back soon,

Kind regards

Reviewed 3 April 2012

After reading recent reviews of this hotel, doused in heavy praise for it's restaurant and facilities, I was really looking forward to my stay with my partner and his family. I loved the hotel's eccentric decor, but found the room to be rather lack lustre with what I would expect for the price. I was very disappointed to find that there was no mini fridge to store soft drinks and the only refreshments provided were tea/coffee and 2 bottles of water which were sat on the desk by a radiator. Not being a caffeine drinker, this was rather disappointing and since the room was exceptionally hot, the warm water was not appetising in the slightest.

The bed was nicely adorned, but it was rather too firm for a comfortable sleep. We declined the complimentary turn down service, but they did it anyway. We were highly unimpressed with the awakening at 6.30am of glass bottles being thrown in the disposal outside our window (which had to be open due to the ridiculous heat of the room).

The restaurant was the biggest disappointment. I sat down ravenous and eager to taste the hear say delights for a large family meal, but was unimpressed to leave the dining area just as hungry. The food was either over seasoned or over cooked. The champ potatoes accompanying my overcooked duck were so overpowered with pepper that I almost choked. I thought the dessert would redeem the shambles of a meal, but the sticky toffee pudding tasted horribly burnt. I found the entire meal inedible, as did the 3 other people accompanying me. The dining area, alike the hotel room was stifling and being pregnant and being unable to have the wine that was being offered to our party, I requested a soft drink. I had to ask the server 3 times and it was almost 45 minutes before my request was carried out and this left me feeling rather unwell. I didn't find the service particularly attentive, friendly or polite.

The only slight redeeming quality of our stay for me was the room service breakfast. A nice array of foods and I loved the tiptree condiments - very tasty, as was the hot chocolate! But overall, I would definitely not return, will not recommend to friends and do not think that it is value for money.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Salthouse harbour hotel.

I am sorry on this occasion, that we did not meet or exceed your expectations.

Regards

Reviewed 19 March 2012

Discreet, Debonair and a large dash of eccentric charm. This restaurant may not suit all tastes or budgets but the restaurant does it for me. Suits of armour draped in strands of baroque pearls were a particular favourite with David who likes his camp served with panache. Portions rather too large for the non-sailing fraternity but beautifully executed and served with professional good humour. Spacious, comfoirtable and wonderful location for an evening post-prandial walk along the water front.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 March 2012

Had a lovely 2 night stay here recently. The room was beautifully furnished. very comfortable and clean. The food in the restaurant is good - book at busy times and the staff were very, very obliging and friendly. Couldn't recommed it enough!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ipswich
1.4 km away
30 km away
The Mill Hotel
The Mill Hotel
#1 of 2 in Sudbury

Been to Salthouse Harbour Hotel? Share your experiences!