“Confounded”

New York Cocktail Bar
Ranked #55 of 71 Nightlife in Ipswich
Reviewed 29 September 2017

We just came back from London train and fancied a nightcap to tie us over before heading back home. We got pulled out from the bar because one of our group had 3/4 smart shorts on. This treatment is baffling in this day and age! We had to discard our drinks and were informed that our friend broke the their cultural establishment rules even though they let them in in the first place. We all had to leave, leaving our drinks on this arbitrary rule. I have to point out that there were members of opposite gender in atire more revealing than long shorts in the venue. This is discrimination based on no rational reason. I and my associates will endeavour to avoid this venue in future based on its discriminatory policies! It is disgraceful behaviour altogether!

Reviewed 28 October 2016

Out with my GFs on Monday, not many places open but saw this place. Door staff were rude and pretty hostile on the way in but it seemed ok from outside so we went in. Place was almost deserted but it took ten mins to get a barman to stop talking to his mates and serve us and then he got our drinks order (four drinks) wrong twice and acted like this was our fault! The drinks were expensive but the place is shabby and run down. The so called smoking area is like a glass coffin full of smoke and had most of the people in there. You have to climb up some filthy back stairs to get to the loo - and OMG the ladies! It doesn't even have a door on and the only paper was on the floor in a big swamp! I went downstairs again and my friends were being bothered by some creep and his creepy mate who just wouldn't leave us alone. When we asked them to leave us alone they started being nasty and my friend went to the bouncer but he just shrugged! So we drank our expensive drinks fast and left. This place is just rubbish - the only people looking like they were having a good time were the DJ and his bro's on the stage. Ive not been in Ipswich long but it is the worst place I've been in. Would never go back. Would advise ppl to go somewhere else - especially girls.

Reviewed 2 September 2016

Being a very sensible guy who has run bars and clubs in London and Brighton I understand how door staff can be under a lot of pressure in whom they should and shouldn't let in. So when I arrived at this venue and saw it near empty and with door staff out front patrolling with no cue I was a little baffled to be asked to walk around the barriers to get in the same position I was in when I walked to the front door only to be asked for my ID, I mean come on... I'm 37. 2 Girls behind me who was obviously younger than I walked in with no questions....

I was polite, I shrugged and walk away... I wore decent clothes... I saw exactly the type of door staff I was dealing with... someone who just loves control, not good for business.

I visited the next day in shorts, trainers and T Shirt after a long day in town, and low and behold, looking like a chav I got in... however I wish I hadn't... unfriendly staff and clicky. I won't go back.

Reviewed 29 May 2016 via mobile

Great on a night out after 11ish, love the music and the cocktails. They offer 2 for 1 cocktails between 7-10 and have lots of cocktails to choose from, it's nice to be able to look at the cocktail menu and get served fast but it's totally dead and not much atmosphere between 7-10. Love that there's a lady with a camera always walking round and they put them up for free on Facebook for you!