“Its Llandudno - not LLasvegas”
Review of Carlton, Llandudno

Carlton, Llandudno
Ranked #6 of 12 Nightlife in Llandudno
Reviewed 13 June 2016

Proof alone - if proof were indeed needed - that expensive refurbishments of dilapidated former Georgian entertainment venues do not a proper pub make.

Back in Llandudno for the first time since when the RAC Rally came nearby some 30 years ago and when, on a wet Monday night in November, the resort was not, its fair to say, at its pretty best. Scroll forwards those 30 years and armed with a weather forecast that the weather was better up the western side of the land, we find ourselves back here once more. Must say, it looks better in the sunshine!

And we liked it. And what went some way to an enjoyable few days in the promised fine spell was some quality time here at The Carlton. Situated next to the roundabout in the centre of town at the conjuncture of the road between the bays, the main shopping street and the mini train terminus, its on the way to - or the way back from, most things touristy in resort.

Its a proper pub used by locals and visitors alike - always a good sign I find. We didn't dine here but what we saw looked OK though we tended to call in here for drinks and people watch mid to late afternoons when the sun comes around and its nice to able to sit outside under the canopy. Well, I say canopy. Its probably a remaining feature harking back to the Victorians who put colonnades like this one around and along shopping streets.

And after a few visits, I mastered the "...and a pint of Stella in a polycarbonate glass to sit outside at a table under the canopy" routine - the [ landlady??] liked me to be specific. And I couldn't blame her too, the local licencing wallahs may not be too keen on alfresco continental style drinking on the pavement forecourt but we liked it purely because we could. She did however look at me sideways a couple of times as though I was taking the proverbial. As if I would.

Bottom line is this. You're in town, you need a beer, you like good service at a fair price and the sun is shining, then go to the Carlton without further hesitation. And avoid the black hole up the road.

1  Thank JackcomebackDawson
There are newer reviews for Carlton, Llandudno

Reviewed 3 February 2016

Popped in for a quick drink after a meal out on Tuesday night.
It happened to be a night that bingo was being played but still had a great atmosphere.
Now dont let the bingo thing put you off at all. The age range was mixed, prices on the drinks very good we will be coming back for a game too soon I hope.

Reviewed 9 November 2015 via mobile

As someone, who remembers pubs as they were, The Carlton is perfect. The bar is its best feature, it sells a range of beers and real ale. The Abbot ale is good. We had a meal and two courses for £8.99 is great value, I had Scampy, 10 pcs and my wife had fish and chips the portions were real value. It is a drinkers pub, for sure but competes very favourably against the weatherspoons across the road. Thanks Janet, for the quick service.

Reviewed 28 October 2015

Called in as we had visited on a previous stay in Llandudno - however on this visit we were greeted by rude staff ; and also there was only one real ale ( unlike on our previous visit ) This looked a very chaotic pub ; noisy with unruly children running around. We may give it another chance if we go back to Llandudno : and hope things are on the up!!

Reviewed 19 July 2015 via mobile

Enjoyed a drink sitting outside a couple of times while visiting. Good location for shops and the beach for a Quick pit stop

1  Thank Lorraine G