“Nice staff,decent room BUT ruined by foreign language students”
Review of Shore View Hotel

Shore View Hotel
Ranked #14 of 40 Hotels in Eastbourne
Reviewed 31 July 2017

Firstly, the hotel is in an excellent position, not too far from the town centre, plus a Tesco a couple of minutes walk away.
I checked in, which went ok, I was asked for a debit/credit card and £1 was pre-authorised. This must be for breakages, I'm not too sure on that?

Given my card for the room up on the second floor, you need to swipe your room card to get to the lift. The room was a decent size, I found it to be clean, the bedding was clean, although no pillow protectors.
I was pleased I had a nice sea view, but unfortunately you couldn't open the doors onto the balcony. There is a small window you can open above the doors, you use a handle to open.

The bathroom was nice and clean, my room was a bath with a shower overhead.
It put me in mind of a Premier Inn.

The Negatives:
I was just resting and then the sound of running, banging doors and this was loud. I went out into the corridor and asked them to be quiet. The young students.
Alas, the running around, shouting which was quite loud by now, this continued.
I thought this isn't acceptable, so I rang down to reception, I was told this was due to a group of 35 students staying, he said he would get in touch with the group leaders.

Thankfully, the noise gradually stopped, I just didn't expect this behaviour in the hotel.
Next, breakfast, I had payed for a Hot Buffet Breakfast, got a discount via booking online.
When I entered the restaurant I was told: There is no hot buffet breakfast! Surprise surprise, this was down to the students, they were on Continental, however, I was offered a plated cooked breakfast. The said breakfast wasn't nice, it was tepid, the bacon had salt residue on it and to boot my fried egg was hard!

I asked for a runny egg, but was informed it was an 'health and safety ' issue!!!
So, couldn't the cook do me a fresh egg, I was speechless.
So, I didn't get my hot buffet breakfast, disappointed.

The staff on the desk were friendly and I feel it's a shame by letting groups of unruly students stay,it let's the hotel down badly.
Personally, before I booked,ask the hotel if they have these large groups staying the week you're booking.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank Kitteecatz

Reviewed 31 July 2017 via mobile

This is the second review I have written for this place as my first seems to have been removed!
Firstly the staff, some are ok but on the whole they are rude and to be blunt... not interested.
Secondly, the fact that my iPad was stolen from my room and absolutely no action was taken by the hotel! None at all! Their response was you have to call the police, which I did but as usual you get nowhere. Then to add insult to injury my running shoes were taken from my room and another member of my team had a brand new pair of shoes taken too.
These miraculously reappeared after 2 days mixed in with the cleaners equipment!
Strange !!!!
The deputy/duty manager even went as far as to suggest it could be one of my own team members doing the thieving!
I have since moved my team of 16 men out of the hotel to alternative accommodation and will be taking this matter up with the Britannia Hotel Group managing director. My advice to anyone thinking of staying here is to think again. Shockingly bad on all fronts. I will update once I hear back from the MD.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business
4  Thank Ash-H73
Reviewed 30 July 2017

I booked a twin room, it was very clean, had a sea view with all the amenities you need. The best thing about the hotel is the staff, they are excellent. Very friendly, helpful and nothing is too much trouble. the hotel us in a great location

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 July 2017 via mobile

The service is friendly and professional. The rooms are ok-sized, if you can get hold of a place with seaview , you' ll enjoy this. It was a pity we couldn' t open the windows fully or use the balcony. That the place seems to be a favorite with teenage language students may be a trial for people that need a good night's sleep.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business
2  Thank teachmail
Reviewed 30 July 2017

When we arrived and found somewhere to park the reception staff were welcoming we had booked a two night stay. On the second day after being out all day we came back to our room where we discovered our hotel room door left open with a large bottle of cleaning product next to the television. I checked our belongings and telephoned reception to inform them to be told that it happens sometimes he said I will be up soon to get the cleaning product he said do not touch it . I was shocked but sure I would get an apology when he arrived. Ten minutes later he took the bottle saying what is in it, it it has no label on it. I said I am more worried about my room being left open he said if anything is stolen let me know. We were very concerned about the lack of care for our belongings. Then in the early hours of the morning our internal phone was rang at 2.30, 2.45, 3.00 we took the phone off the hook, when I told reception he said we have no way of knowing who did it as they have lots of people staying at the hotel. We left early in the morning. I left the same review at the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple