1,663 results
All reviews sea view the hotel car park lovely hotel sea front dining room band stand executive room main restaurant buffet breakfast large room public areas per day street parking tea coffee stayed for one night plenty of choice biscuits
Reviewed 8 October 2018 via mobile

I don't really have words for this place. On arrival we were told that only room had been booked, despite us having email confirming there were two. Two members of staff got involved and both were rude and disinterested. While we were at reception another lady had to come down three times to request the twin room she had booked and they kept moving to her to doubles. Half an hour later they magically found the 2nd booking on the system and we were directed to the lift. Which doesn't work. 3 floors up I found a room which is badly dated with filthy windows and bathroom and peeling wallpaper. This place only gets one star as no stars us not an option.

Stayed: October 2018, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 October 2018 via mobile

On arrival met by very friendly reception lady very helpful. Then it went downhill went to room which was ok nothing spectacular. Arranged to meet colleagues in the bar for after work drink in the bar that had no beer because the manager had gone on holiday and not ordered any! This we were told by the ever disappearing barman when we could find him. The following night on our return a different receptionist and a different attitude none of our room cards worked which was our fault apparently this i could understand if it was one of us but not all 5 so she reluctantly gave us all new one's. Then to the bar again where a different barman got confused on every round and continuously told us he was shutting soon ..until our group raised to 10 at which it all changed shock. Thankfully i wasnt paying as if i was i would have stayed elsewhere

Stayed: September 2018, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 October 2018 via mobile

This is not a great hotel and I would argue the word hotel is pushing it. Let’s start with the positives, the location is perfect. It’s right by the beach and the high street centre to most nearby attractions. For the location you could not get any better however this is where the positives seem to come to an end.

The family stayed here for a weekend and initially the reception is well presented and the hotel looks nice however the receptionist are rude and have no idea of customer service, besides charging us to use the hotel car park we needed a cot for the room and ensuing drama of trying to get one almost made me feel like dragging the receptionist over the counter. The receptionist staff were rude and dismissive with an attitude of “I don’t want to be here or help you”.

Things just get worst from here, the room we were in was small and dated on top of that the bathroom looked like it had not been cleaned. There was mould on the tiles and it genereally looked like it could of done with clean. My child also spilt a little juice on the bed sheet which left a mark to our surprise after a day out the bed had been made with the same sheets and the mark still there. They did change the bin so need to be thankful for the little things.

The breakfast in the morning was terrible to the point we could hardly eat any of it. It was very greasy and to a poor standard. The breakfast service was pretty much “find a seat help your self”. The staff there were slightly better in that they explained that you do everything your self including getting your tea and coffee. The breakfast was bad enough we decided to go out for breakfast the next day.

Dinner service, I would recommend that you venture out to the many restaurants within 5 minutes walking distance for food. The whole thing was embarrassing. We sat down at the table to be told that we had to go to reception and pay for our meal in advance which is first for me, normally I pay at the end of my meal not before and normally in the restaurant not in a different part of the building. I then ordered a bottle of wine and Diet Coke to be told that I would have to go to the bar on the otherside of reception and carry the drinks back. Whoever the genius that thought of this needs a promotion for dumbest idea. I walked to the bar through reception then had to queue up for 10minutes while my family were still at the table and then carry the drinks on a tray back through reception and into the restaurant. The food was mediocre can’t say much more than that.

We also discovered that there is no room service. We tried ringing reception who never answer to order some food up to the room to be told I had to do this at the bar. At the bar I was told they don’t do room service and I would have to carry it up my self. What hotel doesn’t do room service.

This is more of an annoyance then anything else, there is one lift that is the slowest lift ever. The staff have put chairs by the lift as an average of 10minutes to wait for the lift wasn’t unusual. If you do stay here and you are on the top floor bring a paper you could be waiting some time for the lift.

I would not stay here again and I can honesty say I would not recommend anyone else to. I don’t know how they do the star rating but 4 star I think not.

Stayed: October 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 October 2018

We have stayed here a couple of times, very clean and a stunning reception! Though a little dated in the rooms its generally a nice hotel with friendly staff and its very reasonable in price..on the Seafront so lovely walks are a stone's throw away.

Stayed: August 2018
1  Thank Kelbel O
Reviewed 1 October 2018

Cavendish Hotel AKA Faulty Towers: The overall impression is that it is so neglected, dirty and uncared for, that it would suit a hostel rather than hotel rating! I have never in my life had to stay in such a filthy room, nor dilapidated state of a hotel, and most certainly not for the price of £185.

We were heading out to our party so had 5 minutes spare to let the reception know that our room was filthy and could it at least be cleaned while we were out, letting them know that there was even a public hair right next to the wash basin. Every single surface was thick with dust, light switches, even around the tea bags and kettle, just everywhere. Under the bed was festooned with dust and mess, and the carpet and chairs were threadbare , stained and ripped. The walls were covered in sticky hand prints and dirt. The paint work was badly chipped, dusty, peeling and filthy. The bathroom was filthy in the corners and the toilet tank had dark yellow splatter near to the flush handle. The furniture was at the end of it’s useful life. It was gross.

Unfortunately, when we returned at around 11.30, very little had actually been cleaned, and to my dismay, the pubic hair was still next to the sink, though someone had at least tried to clean the loo.

As we started to attempt to get to sleep in the world’s stupidly small and most uncomfortable bed, a voice started talking to us. They had left their staff walkie talkie in our room, so I had to get up and I left it on the equally filthy and battered landing.

The mattress was iron hard and back breaking, and the pillows were like rock solid sponge lumps. There were two awful cheap cushions on the bed that I couldn’t bear near the bed, and looked dirty, so left them in the corner of the floor. They seemed to have been added as an incongruous after thought, and looked like microfibre dish cloths.

In the morning, the sun was so blazingly hot behind the plexi glass filthy secondary glazing, that the room was baking hot by 9am, even in September. You could barely breathe with the stuffiness of it. A cheap plastic fan had been supplied (which at least looked new and was therefore the only clean thing in the room) but by this time we were beyond caring and ready to get the hell out.

It gets worse. The next morning we went down for breakfast to the most frugal and unpleasant looking breakfast offerings, with horrid sachets for the coffee, and a communal milk jug that was filthy. We basically left and legged it back to our home as fast as we could.

I couldn’t figure out how on earth I had managed to book such an insanitary and depressing hotel at that price, so I checked their website to try and figure out how I could have thought we’d ever want to pay £185 to stay there. The publicity photos are stunning. It really looks lovely and so no wonder we thought we were going to enjoy our stay. The reality is a million miles from the photos, so run down, dirty, depressing, and tatty. You have clearly spent money on the main ground floor areas, though they are already suffering wear and again just look so unclean. Even behind the reception desk itself, the white walls are just filthy.

Left with the feeling that my skin was crawling at the insanitary and tatty mess we had to sleep in.

Room Tip: Avoid at all costs
  • Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple