“A very nice hotel”

Tamarind by Elegant Hotels
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Paynes Bay
Reviewed 3 April 2012

This was our first trip to Barbados and the Tamarind did not disappoint us overall.

The hotel is ideally located on the west coast Paynes beach (which is a strip of up market hotels and apartments) The beach is great (although coral gravel at some points where the surf breaks can make getting in and out of the sea uncomfortable - take some cheap diving booties) The waves usually lap but the surf can get up and indeed while we were there many a costume removed by the undertow!
Non motorised water sports are free and those involving jet skies and the like are reasonably priced - the chaps at the water sports centre are really nice and will make sure you enjoy!
Holetown and the many excellent restaurants is a $20 taxi ride away (10 mins) or if you are slumming it a $2 bus away.
Further afield is Speightown in the north and Bridgetown in the south both worth a visit and by bus - yep $2 (get the yellow bus as this has fun driving and great reggae music the blue bus is the state one and for old women only!
The hotel itself is a sprawling low rise affair and I think its quite large although it seems small and fairly intimate. There are 3 pools (1 for adults only although a brit mother chose to ignore the signs clearly indicating this until it was pointed out – reading not her strong suit possibly)!
The hotel is on the beach itself and so many ground floor rooms open onto the pool/beach/garden areas and the rooms on second or third floors will mostly have at least some "ocean view".
Some of the rooms need a little TLC and our shower screen leaked onto the floor so the shower mat was soaking every day a small niggle realy
The breakfast buffet is splendid in it variety and completeness and I have to say the scrambled egg is the best "mass served" that I have ever had. Eating al fresco inevitably leads to small birds trying to steal food, and they are determined I will give it to them. I have seen complaints on here about that - so stay at home and go to Butlin’s FGS you are in Barbados it happens! The staffs are attentive to this and cover food and drink if they can.
Lunch can be had for the pool side bar and in the restaurant but interestingly the beach seems to clear at 12 and remains empty until about 3 pm. Very few folk tend to have a snack (club sandwitch) on the beach - we did as I really don’t see the attraction of a table at lunchtime when a bottle of chilled wine flying fish on salt bread and fries can be had by the lounger on the beach!
Dinner is themed on most nights with a buffet.
All the staff are wonderful and so nice helpful and polite and this is one of my over riding memories of the Tamarind that they really cannot do enough to ensure you are happy.
The down sides - the WiFi is pitiful with an number of free hotspots around the site these are slow and you need to log in each and every time and agree the terms etc etc so WiFi keeps dropping and you need to keep signing in as you move around - unless of course you subscribe to the Tamarind superfast WiFi which is throughout the resort but costs...wait for it...$100 US for a week. This is nonsense and they need to get with the program. I haven’t had to pay for broadband WiFi for 2-3 years now across Europe and the far east so I was disappointed with this lot.
Next this is a "family friendly hotel" if you are a couple then look at "The House Hotel" next door which is adults only and run by the same group.
Despite booking a start date to our holiday before the schools broke up (we have done the kids bit some time back) we were surprised to fine a large number of school aged British children who had clearly been taken out of school early so their parents could enjoy a Caribbean holiday at term time prices! No it wasn’t to "broaden the kids minds" as they remained round the pool or beach every day and had pasta and chips or burger and chips. Very sad and what message does it give children I wonder. So if you are looking for a quite possibly romantic holiday at the Tamarind go in the very depths of term time.

All in all - Good

Room Tip: 136 is comfy and near the pool and beach - its a garden room so is cheaper. Ask them if the leaki...
2  Thank Nick W
Write a ReviewReviews (1,164)

Reviewed 2 April 2012

This was our first trip to Barbados and we were extremely happy with Tamarind. We all (my husband, I and our two teenagers) loved it! The hotel was very pleasant, rooms were comfortable and spacious.The hotel is large and there is plenty to do there, but the atmosphere is very quiet and relaxing! The service throughout the hotel--dining areas, pools, bars, rooms, beach--was stellar. Lots of people to provide service, always very nice and accommodating.The beach was really nice, with terrific water sports included. We played tennis at sister hotel, TheCrystal Cove, and that was easily arranged and very close by. While we had not read anything about the food at the hotel - the restaurant does not seem to get reviewed-we thought the food was good. The lunches, especially, were extremely well prepared and served in a specacular beach front setting. We spent a lot of time at the hotel and enjoyed our time there, and we also spent some time exploring the rest of the island and getting to know some local spots--very easy to get around by taxi, bus or car.

Room Tip: we were on the 2nd floor with an ocean view--lovely! (our room was not overlooking a pool and this n...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank jane b
Reviewed 1 April 2012

Just returned from 10 days at the Tamarind. Agree with previous comments. Lovely staff and everyone keen to please. Kim the General Manager is excellent and very special thanks to Tamilla for her insight and attention - she is a huge asset to Elegant Resorts.

1  Thank LuGlasgow
Reviewed 28 March 2012

Just returned from 10 fantastic nights at the Tamarind.

Stayed here last year so was happy to return knowing exactly what to expect, however, there is a new General Manager in situ who has made a number of improvements since last year so even better than expected!

Many of the previous reviews sum up the hotel fairly well so in order to avoid repetition I'll try to concentrate on the main highlights.

In summary, the Tamarind is a medium sized, friendly hotel located in a very convenient position on the west coast (i.e. 40 minutes from the airport and close to many fantastic restaurants). It's certainly not cheap (this is the west coast though so nothing is!) but offers good value for money and a fantastic relaxed atmosphere compared to some of the more "snooty" accommodations available.

The staff were always polite and friendly, and I noticed that they seemed more attentive than last year, which I presume is a result of the new GM (well done Kim!)

Despite what some other reviewers have said, I found the drink prices to be reasonable (c£3.50 for a beer and c£7.00 for a cocktail) and clearly even better value during happy hour (which now lasts for 2 hours).

Menu choices are sufficiently varied - we were B&B so only took breakfast and then lunch, preferring to eat out in the evening, but we were never stuck for choice. On one occasion, breakfast was unacceptably busy / chaotic but I put this down to my comments below on “incentive trips” as opposed to the hotel itself. Either way, I raised my concerns with Kim and there was a noticeable improvement the following morning.

Incentive trips - a relatively large group of individuals (from a company which I will refrain from naming) were staying at the hotel for part of our stay on some kind of “reward” trip. Many of them were clearly unaware of what constitutes acceptable behaviour and I suspect some of them have never before stayed in a decent hotel. As a result this did lead to some frustration amongst the other guests but clearly the hotel cannot be held directly responsible for this. Again, I raised my concerns to Kim and things did seem to improve thereafter. Still leaves a bitter taste in the mouth though!

Room standard is above what you would normally expect for the Caribbean - ours was an ocean front room which was tastefully decorated, with some vibrant colourings dotted around, but not as OTT as I have experienced elsewhere. The views from the balcony were amazing. Our maid was excellent, really friendly and very thorough and she seemingly managed to learn our movements as we were never disturbed by her despite the room always being immaculate.

The beach is very good (i.e. big, sandy and clean) with plenty of sun beds, free towels and a good selection of free water sports readily available. Add to that three pools (one of which is adults only) and all the hammocks knocking around and you’re never stuck for a place to laze in the sun.

The hotel offers a “flag system” on the beach whereby if you want a drink or something to eat, you simply stick the flag in the air and one of the beach waiters will come and attend to you.

Overall, this is a very well managed hotel and if you are looking for somewhere that ticks the following boxes, then you will not be disappointed with the Tamarind:
* Good value on the west coast
* Attentive and friendly staff
* Great beach with plenty of water sports
* Mount Gay 1703 rum – it’s amazing stuff!!

Once BA release flight details for next year we’ll be booking again!!

3  Thank Tim M
Reviewed 14 March 2012

We just spent a wonderful week at the Tamarind. Choosing where we were going to stay was based on location. This was my 5th trip to Barbados. Expedia's star rating concerned me but I trusted the positive reviews and was not disappointed. The Tamarind is a lovely, smaller hotel with amazing outdoor spaces. There were so many wonderful little areas with the most comfortable garden furniture to just sit and watch the ocean. The rooms are spacious, have great beds and linens and large bathrooms. Our room was the standard pool/garden category but we still had an oceanview. What makes this hotel stand out from others has to be the staff. Management must really make a point of emphasising the importance of good customer service. I only choose to write reviews when I am truly impressed, Almost, everyone that works at this hotel makes you feel welcome and that your comfort is important to them. Antonio, one of the customer reps didn't rest untl she made sure that we were satisfied with some changes that had to be made to one of our rooms. Even her manager checked to make sure we were satisifed. Special recognition should be given to Dion and Chef Philip for their sincere attempt in making sure my neice didn't go to bed hungry after we returned to the hotel late one night after the kitchen was closed. I have never seen such hospitality. We never felt the crowds of other places we've stayed, there was always lots of beach chairs and poolside seating.

The only negative I would have say is that the choice of restaurants, and the menus were too limited. The food was good but a little expensive, especially at dinner. The 246 bar/restaurant which was more casual and our preference after a day at the beach had a very limited menu. Overall the Tamarind is a wonderful place to stay in a great location so we will definitely be going back.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Ocean Two Resort & Residences
#2 of 8 in St. Lawrence Gap
2.3 km away
Waves Hotel & Spa by Elegant Hotels
Waves Hotel & Spa by Elegant Hot...
#4 of 26 in Saint James Parish
21.9 km away
The Crane Resort
The Crane Resort
#1 of 4 in Saint Philip Parish

Been to Tamarind by Elegant Hotels? Share your experiences!