1,153 results
All reviewsbeach barmain buildingplunge poolbeautiful resortconcierge staffbeach attendantsour honeymoonstar servicest martinprivate beachbeach servicebreakfast buffet isbedroom suiteorient expresstennis courtsluxury hotelwater sports
Reviewed 17 July 2012

This was by far the most delightful vacation we have had in recent memory. It was our 25th wedding anniversary and we took along our grown up daughter. She is quite discerning and she didn't want to come back! Right from our welcome drink and sandwich to our last breakfast, the service was good, the hospitality gracious and the smiles genuine. We enjoyed the beach and loved the beach service even more. The drinks were just right. The waters here are a remarkable crystaline blue.The water sports guys got us snorkelling and jet skiing, firsts for us. It was a lot of fun.

We did venture out for a night to Anguila and although we found a great restaurant (Blanchards I believe), where we stayed was unremarkable. I wish we hadn't bothered. St Martin frankly isn't that memorable and the current economy is even worse than back in the US, which paradoxically made La Samanna even more of a haven.

My wife loved the layout of the suites, the decor is light and things are convenient and functional.

This was our first trip to the Carribean and I hope we go back soon. I know that I will look for places that match the kind of experience we had at La Samanna. I don't know how that will work out!

Room Tip: I loved being able to walk out of the suite and on to the beach - choose the first floor.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
LaSamanna, General Manager at Belmond La Samanna, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2012

Dear Serendip 8,

Thank you very much for your kind review and for taking the time to write it, I am very happy to read that you had a wonderful time for your 25th anniversary.
I wish you a beautiful summer back home and we are all very much looking forward to welcoming you and your daughter in a near future.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 14 July 2012

I took my family (wife and two girls 12 and 14). We stayed in a two bedroom suite on the beach. It was more like a villa with kitchen and living room, two bathrooms as well which worked out great as my daughters had their own space. Views from the room were right out to the ocean. We had our own private patio as well and within 20 feet were on the beach on our own beach chairs. Great set-up especially if you needed to go back to room for something. The beach steward would bring you towels and an insulated bag with iced water bottles (a nice feature). The rooms were recently refurbished and they did an excellent job redecorating, clean, simple and calm - no crazy tropical bedspreads (whites and blues and colorful artwork).

Breakfasts were awesome, really good coffee, waffles and fresh fruit...lots to choose from and great view from seating are outside. Lunch selections at the beach restaurant were very good but it can get expensive. Dinner options are few. Main restaurant is where breakfast is served...food is great but choices are limited and a family f four without a bottle of wine runs $300. We tried room service one night (their weakest link as food quality is average) and went into town for dinner for more casual and less expensive option.

Beach is beautiful and secluded from other resorts and water was very clear with good snorkeling right off the beach. Great water sports ... kayak, wave runners, sea bobs (a lot of fun if you never tried one). Also have a trampoline out in the water (you have to swim to get to it).

We went in June and it was low season so we felt we had the whole resort to ourselves. Maybe it was half full. Parents note that some guests are topless if that sort of thing bothers you.

In the afternoon they would come around with fresh fruit or beignets for guests on the beach. Nice touch. Everyone was very friendly and helpful.

Overall, a great experience. Expensive but worth it. We will come back.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
LaSamanna, General Manager at Belmond La Samanna, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2012

Dear Taz46_12,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience on Trip Advisor and I am happy to read you had a wonderful experience with your family.
The rooms have been decorated by Canadian designers from Toronto and I agree that this new white and clear style suits La Samanna very well.
Thank you very much for the praise of our breakfast buffet and lunch at the Beach Bar, and also for your constructive comments about dinner. As a matter of fact, we are shutting down the main building as off August 1st for big renovations and we will create 2 different restaurants. One Mediterranean and one French Bistro, kind of steak house. The entire concept will change and will become more family friendly. You absolutely have to come and see by yourself. We will reopen like usual on November the 2nd.

We are very much looking forward to welcoming you again in Saint Martin,

Best Tropical regards,

Reviewed 11 July 2012

Just came back from our second stay at La Samanna this year.
And once again our stay was thoroughly beautiful .

La Samanna has one of the most beautiful Caribbean setting. Every room opens to the breath taking vew of the sea. One bedrooms suits are couple steps away from white sand beach with clean white sand and crystal blue water. There are many activity to fill your day if that's what's one looking for but I always opt for long swim in the sea and sunning on the comfy beach chairs. Service is very friendly and attentive yet descreat. There were some celebrity visitors there who were walking around undisturbed. Secluded behind the gate a mist the beautiful tropical garden La Samanna has been providing a great rescue for those distinguish few. Over the years ( I've been visiting La Samanna for over 25 years) I've seen A list selebrity having secret affairs without ever being found out.
A truly special place, elegant with high- touch service yet low key , laid back Caribbean style.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Management response:Responded 12 July 2012

Dear VTSXM,

I am so very happy to read your review and I would like to thank you very much for taking the time to write it. I believe you used very appropriate words to describe our small piece of Caribbean Paradise and I wish everybody was able to see the real character of this property and the dedication of the staff who works hard to maintain our reputation over the decades.
The history of La Samanna is built through guests like you who have been coming back year after year and our biggest reward is a message just like the one you wrote.
Thank you very much VTSXM for making us proud to be here and I will share your feedback with the entire La Samanna Family.

Best Caribbean regards,

Reviewed 10 July 2012

I recently stayed at La Samanna with my husband for 7 days and that was a wonderful experience. Our room was not ready when we arrived but they offered us a drink and while waiting we decided to walk through the property. The garden and the white buildings are fabulous. We then were taken by Arnaud to our room which was really big and of great design with direct access to the beach. All colors here remind me the sun and sand. I am more a “breakfast in bed” person but I just loved the breakfast settings with an incredible view upon the beach and the sea. If you stay at La Samanna ask for Ketty at breakfast, she is so sweet! The beach is the best spot on the island. We had been to Orient Bay and Friars Bay but nothing to compare with the beach at the resort. I had a wonderful massage at the spa for one hour but I stayed for two hours chatting with Pascale a very professional and friendly spa attendant. The only negative point to me is that I had to leave!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Marie Julie G
Reviewed 10 July 2012

We just returned from our third trip to La Samanna. It was once again, fantastic. The staff was extremely friendly and went out of their way for us to have an enjoyable experience. We had a great one bedroom suite that opened up right to the beach. We never left the resort and spent most of our time at the beach and at the infinity pool. The food at the beach bar for lunch was excellent and the main dining room was outstanding for dinner. Everyone there was happy and having a great time. Unlike most resorts in the islands, "island time" wasn't such a factor. We called in for ice and it showed up in less than 10 minutes. Room service was a speedy 25 minutes. My daughter loved riding the golf cart with Reggie and everyone there was so nice. We will be back again very soon!

Room Tip: If you like the beach, get a room in the A building facing the ocean.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Management response:Responded 12 July 2012

Dear PPLag,

Thank you very much for your very nice comment and I am very happy to read that had an other wonderful stay with us. I am glad you enjoyed the new decor of the renovated rooms but there will be much more to see during your next visit as we are redoing the entire lobby this closing season. Reopening is scheduled as usual on November 2nd and we are very much looking forward to welcoming you again with your family.

Best regards,