All reviews fire pit gas stove well stocked kitchen lovely weekend log cabin cross country two nights horses hammocks yurts hens rathwood facilities fires hosts hendricks fridge
Reviewed 30 September 2015

It was not the fault of The Old Forge that it poured with rain for the 24 hours that we stayed. The bell tent was comfortable and spacious but hadn't been cleaned for a while. The sheets etc were clean but the remnants of the last guests were under the bed as well as lots of dust. The location is amazing but in the middle of nowhere. Due to the weather we were unable to bbq and drove miles to Clonegal, nearest village, where the only food on a Sunday night was an excellent chipper. Lovely kitchen to cook in. Wish I had known it was so far from anywhere as I hadn't brought enough food and wasn't properly prepared. Would be stunning on a nice day.

Date of stay: August 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Aquaba, Owner at The Old Forge Glamping, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2015

Dear Denise
I'm so sorry for you that the weather was miserable for your nights stay. We do provide a kitchen and a kids playroom for when the weather is bad and this has full cooking facilities including an oven, hob, kettle, toaster, 3 fridges and microwave together with cooking utensils, crockery and pots and pans. There are candles and a wood burning stove so it is quite atmospheric as its set into an 18th century granite building.
I noted that from a previous review you stayed in Mount Wolseley in April which is located just 6km away from us. I'm sorry that you didn't go there for dinner as it is recommended on our website and in the 'places to eat nearby' page which is in the kitchen on site. Also there are several other restaurants and pubs in Tullow which is less then 10 minutes drive.
With regards to being 'in the middle of nowhere' we would like to say that we are located on The Wicklow Way Walk with very beautiful views and part of the experience is that it is secluded and quiet yet has a fun buzzy feel as there are 5 tents altogether so people can socialise with each other or stay near their own tent and just relax.
I'm sorry that you were not satisfied with the cleanliness under the beds. However We do use an organic insect repellant under the beds which may be the dust that you saw.
I hope you have better weather on your next Glamping or camping trip and can enjoy what is normally a really fun and unique experience.
Best regards
Belinda

Reviewed 23 September 2015

This is such a great place to stay. The yurts are lovely and set in beautiful surroundings. The tree swing, little elf doors and animals provide perfect entertainment for young, adventurous children. Having your own fire-pit is also great fun and one of the main reasons why we chose to stay. Belinda our host was incredibly inviting and helped with all my questions before and during our trip. We'll definitely be back next year.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 10 September 2015 via mobile

I stayed here with a group of my friends before one of them left for Canada. It was the best decision we could have made. The place is amazing. The staff are incredible. It was an amazing get away for a group of guys too use to city living. It is only a short drive from Dublin an I can not recommended this place enough. We will certainly be returning.

Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 September 2015

Glamping here with friends and the horses was just magical.

Belinda is an excellent host and the effort and attention to detail that has gone into the whole place is spectacular.

The accommodation for the horses is just as pretty and comfortable as it is for humans. I travelled with a group of 7 friends, 3 of our horses were stabled, and 4 were turned out. My own had a leg stretch in the stunning paddocks during the day, and was tucked away in the enchanting walled garden at night, we could hear them from the yurts, she thought she had been delivered to her retirement home.

The Munny Trail is so much fun, a stunning part of the country to ride through.

An absolute must!

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 August 2015

We 50 something year olds who like our comfort decided to try something different and boy are we glad we did. I will add that we had great weather and a night of shooting stars to add to the magic of our Glamping experience. There is no shortage of facilities , sun loungers, tables and barbecues ,plus a fully working kitchen in case you didn't fancy getting back to basics. Landscape was amazing. GO SOON

Date of stay: August 2015