See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 15 January 2018

I have known this hotel in Tønsberg for many years, from previous owners to new owners. The hotel has a long tradition in Tønsberg, since 1955, and is an independent hotel, now family owned and not associated with any of the larger groups of business hotels. It goes without saying it differentiate it self form the larger groups in many ways, and has a very special charm. Nothing is perfect in any hotel, neither in the large groups hotels, nor in the smaller privately owned hotels. However privately owned smaller hotels do have a different approach to warm service and atmosphere
compared to the more business like hotels, which can actually be experienced when traveling in the small er communities in Norway.
Hotel Maritim has been gradually upgraded over the last few years, and presents it self with new modern delicate rooms, with parquet floors, new beds and smart bathrooms. I have now stayed here for 10 days with 2 business friends, who as well found the rooms very comfortable. Many rooms are of different shape and lay out, but clean and nice, as observed when the owner showed me around.
The reception area is standard, but ok, and the restaurant has a friendly atmosphere with a mixture of traditional Norwegian maritime and Chinese decorations. Breakfast is traditional as can be expected form a small hotel, but any special request can be met. Dinner dining have a lot of varieties, Norwegian, International as well as Sushi and Sashimi. The hotel has its own, surprising, museum, with massive and extraordinary original art form for various Chinese dynasties, as wells as a collection of the famous Norwegian Edvard Munch art work, and others. Very interesting. For those interested the owner is very proud to invite you down below to his secrets.
The hotel has good and free Wi-Fi, free parking which extremely valuable these days, and close to all the fascinating facilities in the oldest city of Norway.
B.Norberg

Room tip: Ask to be shown the room , there are differences in shapes and layout. Selection between backyard and view to the main street. .
Date of stay: January 2018
Reviewed 4 June 2016

I am a business traveller, normally I use the Quality Inn when staying in Tonsberg. Because it was fully booked, my travel agent suggested to Maritim, also a good location close to the harbourfront.
It started with a very poor reception, the lady was not making you feel welcome, she hardly looked at me, did not smile once. Next day there was a gentleman at the reception desk, I asked him to show me the directions to the railway station on a map. He was also not helpful at all, not friendly either. Luckily, the gentlemen in charge of the small breakfast buffet was a nice fellow.
The waste bin in my room was still filled with trash of the previous client, and also after my first night's cleaning, the waste bin was again not emptied. The floor of the shower was not cleaned after my first day - the water of the morning was still in there (also because the ventilation did not work at all). How do these people think you can run a hotel with such a basic, poor service? Of my 40-50 reviews of hotels on Tripadvisor, this was one of my worst experiences. I understand things can go wrong, but this is incapability of the hotel management.

Room tip: Don't choose this hotel, take the Quality Inn or the Quality Klubben in Tonsberg
Date of stay: June 2016
Reviewed 15 November 2015

It could be that I have been traveling a lot lately in work and slept in big rooms but this was a small one. And the bathroom was so small you almost hit the wall with you knees when you sat on the toilet. I am 178cm by the way.
It was not the hotels fault but a construction work outside started at 06:00 AM, but it was disturbing.
The breakfast included the minimum for to be called a hotel breakfast if you ask me. The only warm food was boiled and scrambled eggs.
For a price of 999 NOK I expect more.
The wifi worked fine and the tv was ok. The bed was ok, no more than that.
Ok for one night but I would recommend to stay somewhere else for a longer journey.

Room tip: Avoid to book a room at this hotel.
Date of stay: November 2015
Reviewed 10 August 2015

You can book a room at this hotel, but there is no guarantee you get it when you arrive.

Me and my wife reserved a room at this hotel. We were at a wedding and told the hotel we would arrive late. This was ok. we arrive at 2:15. When we're told that they only have single room with smal, smal bed. Although they have made a big mistake, we ask the man in resepsonen if he can find a solution. Maybe a madrass? He had no interess in helping us. He was more concerned about accuse us that we had made a mistake. He was rude and signaled that he wanted us out of the hotel even though we told him we had no place to sleep.

We went directly from there to "Hotel quality" wich was full, but had a very lovely staff who called all the hotels in town and fixed us a room in another hotel. This was just luck, all the hotels were completely full except this one room.

So Hotel Maritim: Never again!

Date of stay: August 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ruben B
Reviewed 7 July 2015

Since most of the hotels in Tønsberg was booked this weekend I call Maritim thursday (day before arrival) and booked a room for two persons for two nights. I got a price of 2490 NOK.
At the check in the manager ask if I colud pay in front, OK I said but now the price was 4980 NOK (this was not the same guy that I spoke with on the phone). I told him that the agreement was 2490 NOK for both night and asked if he colud call the guy that worked the day before.
He did and I got to talk with him to ensure that there was no misunderstanding. He confirmed what I was saying and I gave the manager the phone so that he also could get this confirmed. But even thoug his colleague confirmed my story the manager still demanded 4980 NOK, refering to his pricelist. I told him that since one of his staff had made a deal the hotel had to give us this price, whatever his pricelist said. The manager got mad started trowing pens and smashing his keyboard. Other guests behind me was shocked (me as well).
I told him that if the price was 2490NOK/night I would never have been here, the Quality Hotel 200m away is cheaper than that and has a much higher standard!!

This is one place I never will return to, I'll grade the roomstandard to two stars, but with that staff one star is to much in total.

Stay away!!