“Beautiful hotel and place”

Clarion Collection Hotel Gabelshus
Ranked #13 of 103 Hotels in Oslo
Reviewed 18 October 2017

Amazed by this hidden jewel of a hotel in oslo- only one available for a one-night stay, and I was truly surprised and amazed by this place. very nice and quiet street, hotel look like a big hous from the outside, but inside it stretches out in the back of the building, and its a lot larger than you believe at arrival.
Very nice rooms and good beds, then add on the beast breakfast in town- plus smiling crew- nothing more to say!

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
Karl Einar S, General Manager at Clarion Collection Hotel Gabelshus, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2017

Dear sveinung1963,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review with us and the TripAdvisor community. I am overjoyed to hear that you had such a good experience with us and that you enjoyed every moment of your stay. We hope to see you again soon.

All the best,
Karl Einar Sundby-Bagaas

Reviewed 2 October 2017

Went here for a one day seminar. Nice neighbourhood, nice hotel, and not to forget a very nice lunch.

The staff, with one exception, was very helpful, polite and efficient. It was possible to open a roof window in the seminar room, but you had to turn a wheel like crazy, and it made a lot of noise. Should have been lubed.

With one coffee machine outside, it got crowded during the brakes. Should have been pots or something because the one machine was good but slow.

So, apart from the woman in the reception and those minor issues, this was a very positive experience.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank Leon_Norway
Management response:Responded 5 October 2017

Dear Leon_Norway,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review with us and the TripAdvisor community. I am very happy to hear that you had such a good experience with us and that you enjoyed every moment of your stay, and that you also have given us valuable feedback on the areas we need to improve. Feel free to tell me more by e-mail on karl.einar.sundby-bagaas@choice.no
We hope to see you again soon.

Karl Einar Sundby-Bagaas

Reviewed 23 September 2017

First, I want to thank the other reviewers of this hotel. When I arrived, there were no surprises. I brought my own shampoo because I was informed by someone that there is no set of little bottles of amenities. Also, no Kleenex! However, these are the only major, really minor, deficiencies in this delightful place. All the rooms I think are different from each other. Some reviewers said that their rooms and bathrooms were on the small side. Ours is quite large, and the bathroom is modern and, for a hotel, quite big. The shower (in the tub) thank God, is of the spray type in which the spray attaches to a hook, so one can actually stand under it! Hooray! The combination soap and shampoo dispenser is attached to the wall of the shower, and another near the sink. The lighting in the bedroom is unusually good, with a reading lamp attached to each side of the queen sized bed. There was a small refrigerator in the room as well, though no safe. I'm feeling here is that there would be no need for a safe; lovely, helpful people everywhere. The mattress is probably fairly old, but a topper makes it extremely comfortable, even for me, big fuss pot on that subject. It was a bit chilly, since the heat had not yet been activated, so we received an excellent free-standing radiator.

As others commented, the buffet breakfast is amazing, and I do not use that word lightly. Every thing anyone could want is offered, and the quality is terrific. There is a coffee machine that actually produces good espresso, hot chocolate, and other combinations of coffee, hot chocolate, and another machine for tea. I vouch for the Coffee – my husband for the hot chocolate. The dinner, free with the room, as others said, is passable.

One last major compliment: the staff went to great efforts to assure my health - I have an odd allergy to yellow food coloring, often I visible in products, and the kitchen staff brought out the boxes of ingredients and translated from Norwegian - low and behold, one had the dreaded hidden chemical, so I was saved from misery. And then they made me an exquisite chocolate and fresh strawberries dessert that was memorable from both Kindness and taste.

The neighborhood is a hilly suburban area, with a few little shops, the French Embassy and the Norwegian Academy of Science - gorgeous edifices, but not touristy attractions. The water, with its ships, is downhill, and can be seen nearby. There are trams to take one closer to central Oslo.

A fun place to stay. Enjoy!

Room Tip: Ask for what you want - each is unique.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank badbacktraveler
Wilhelm H, General Manager at Clarion Collection Hotel Gabelshus, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2017

Dear badbacktraveler,

Thank you for such a great and comprehensive review. I am so excited to hear your experience at Clarion Collection Gabelshus was wonderful. Thank you for taking the time to share it with us. Thank you also for your kind words about our staff being service oriented and friendly. It is always rewarding to read about our team members. Delivering excellent customer service is a great part of our main commitment. We hope to see you again soon. Please feel free to contact me directly if you should have any questions prior to your next arrival. wilhelm.hartwig@choice.no

Reviewed 20 September 2017

I stayed here one night to visit Russian embassy. It was just across the street from the embassy. It is walking distance to the Royal castle, but more convenient to take the tram. When you book the room, it is included breakfast and evening food buffet. The buffet was with warm food and tasty. The area around the hotel is small bars and coffee shops, nice embassy area and exclusive flats. The hotel can be highly recommended if you do not prefer to stay in the middle of the center of Karl Johan street.

Room Tip: No preferance
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business

Dear Lalina_Norway,

I love to hear that you had such an enjoyable stay at Clarion Collection Gabelshus. Thank you for taking the time to share this wonderful and comprehensive review with us. It is such a pleasure to know that you were happy with your choice of hotel in Oslo. Please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly prior to your next arrival so that we can ensure it is as wonderful as the last one. wilhelm.hartwig@choice.no

Reviewed 17 September 2017

We spent one night here on our way back from a 10-day trip to Svalbard. The hotel is lovely, the room was very quiet and comfortable, and the breakfast was bountiful. This hotel is well-located in a quiet part of Oslo, yet it was an easy walk to city center. The gentleman at the front desk on the morning of September 14th was extremely helpful in negotiating a fixed price for our taxi to the airport. I'm sorry I don't remember his name!

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple

Dear marsyhaber,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review with us and the TripAdvisor community. I am overjoyed to hear that you had such a good experience with us and that you enjoyed every moment of your stay. The name of the gentleman at the front desk was Daniel. I will make sure to relay your kind words to him. We hope to see you again soon.